Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Windows Problems

Strange...
    I have to restart the client for each generation
    Proud member of The Genome Collective

I have several PCs that have now made it past the dreaded gen 0 with the latest (again) EXE.. Thanks for the fast fix Howard.

FYI, I did have to delete the FILELIST before the latest EXE would go past the gen 0

Originally posted by HansArne
    Strange...
    I have to restart the client for each generation
    Restarted the pc.
    Works ok now
    Proud member of The Genome Collective

Ol' retired IT geezer

Unhappy New EXE - One made it.. One didn't

When I saw the info on the new .exe (afternoon time stamp), I downloaded it and put in on two W2K systems that were processing Gen zero but had not yet reached the end...

The one closest to finishing Gen Zero died from the invalid .val file error.

The second, which had more than a thousand left to calculate, went through the Gen zero barrier and is now on Generation Two. I guess this one had a chance to do and update the other did not.

Ned

my P4 just died at the end of gen 0 with the corrupt .val. I wiped the directory and started fresh with the new package. hopefully it will go though the barrier.

man this is like crossing the sound barrier. 'cept a lot of use are splatting like bugs on a windsheild.

Before everyone freaks out about day2 client 2 and the .val error!

Consider this:

If your best of 10K occured during the use of one of the previous 2 clients, then it is going to be corrupted.

If you downloaded the foldtrajlite.exe and dropped it into folder that had part of gen 0 complete, then your best could still show as corrupt. If the d2c2 generates the best of 10K then you should not get the .val error.

My P3-866 which had about 6K complete when d2c2 was installed made it safely thru the rest of gen 0. So that means the newest foldtrajlite.exe (d2c2) created the best of the 10K.

At least I think that is how it is working.

Example:
    Just checked a partial at 4K of 10K complete, it has run all 4 versions. However the date/timestamp of the .val file is 3:30pm this afternoon. So this one should make it thru gen 0 with having to start over.

If you really have the newest client, AND you deleted filelist.txt to ensure a clean start, you should not get any .val file errors. It is possible your browser is caching the download or something. To be sure, the Windows foldtrajlite.exe should be exactly 3,026,944 bytes. If yours is bigger or smaller, you haven't got the correct one and need to grab it again and delete filelist.txt (see the link at the top of this thread). I believe is you are seeing those strings -0DA4652A- etc etc being printed, you are NOT using the fixed one so please double check if in doubt.
    Howard Feldman

I downloaded the newest and no longer get the .val error. 3 of my systems are now up and running as they should be. Waiting for the others to get through the 10,000 but everything is lookin good!
    www.hardcoreware.net

Originally posted by Brian the Fist
    I believe is you are seeing those strings -0DA4652A- etc etc being printed, you are NOT using the fixed one so please double check if in doubt.
    That was me on the first update today, but the second update got rid of those on all boxen.

Boinc'ing away
    all seems to be working now that the latest client is in place...

(just hope it stays that way )

Ok, back to crankin results again

Thanks for the fast fix Howard!

Stay away from .NET/.NOT please

Is it possible to setup the absolute latest (windows) client as an auto-update; so those running the bad updates are forced to update to the working client when they restart their machines/get past generation 0 (or whenever the program checks for updates)?

Looking at the stats pages - it looks like there's tons of folks not producing; getting them to switch to the right client looks like it would really help a lot of the teams that were able to convince their members to run the client; but don't have them checking on it enough..

This was a SUBSTANTIAL blow to my team at www.procooling.com. Most of our cruchers don't regularly check our forum or their computers for days and some of them weeks! We have had 7 out of 35 regular contributers post any points on the new client. Most of our team is down and they don't even know it! I can only imagine the words when they get to their comps after a few days/weeks and see absolutly NOTHING has been done on them.

Non the less I understand shit happens and you guys are doing your best. I just hope they don't bail as I have put a lot of effort getting them fired back up after phase 2 started and we were headed for the top 25 teams. Hopefully future errors will be caught before hand.
    Crunchin D.F. for www.procooling.com

OCworkbench Stats Ho
    One of my computers has finally passed Gen 0, alas my Download Limit was reached just when this all started, so I am going to get a very large excess bill for the 5 Updates I have tried to install for each System...the things I do for the benefit of Science

What sort of Optimizations are we talking about..SSE2 enhancements or what ?
    I am not a Stats Ho, it is just more satisfying to see that my numbers are better than yours.

I changed to my Phoenix browser and still get a 2.88 file size for the exe!

OK . . .a new day and I am trying once again to get a "fresh" foldtrajlite.exe. Winzip says the file size is 3,026,944 but when I look in the temp folder that I unzipped the whole download into, the file size for foldtrajlite is 2.88.

I am using my Phoenix browser instead of Internet Explorer this time.

Why is this?

I really do want to run df but I do not have the time to keep downloading trying to find the "correct" client! And I do not want to waste my time running a client only to start getting errors after it is finished with generation "0".

Jammy
    A great many people think they are thinking when they are really rearranging their prejudices.
    --William James

Seventeen or Bust: Team Prime Rib

Boinc'ing away
    Jammy - what's the modified date/time? If it's the latest (and working) version it should be the 1:43pm not the 1:09pm version...

7/23/03 1:43 p.m. and the filesize of foldtrajlie.exe is 2.88 MG.

Jammy

p.s. I have deleted ALL prior versions of the distribfold-current-win9x before I downloaded, and I downloaded with my Phoenix browser since others posted that IE "caches". How it can cahe and where it "caches" is news to me!

Originally posted by pfb
    Jammy - what's the modified date/time? If it's the latest (and working) version it should be the 1:43pm not the 1:09pm version...
    A great many people think they are thinking when they are really rearranging their prejudices.
    --William James

Um 2.88 MB is about the right size. remember that a MB is 1024 KB so it's not a simple move of the decimal point.

these should be the stats on the "Good" client:
    Size: 2.88 MB (3,026,944 bytes)
    Modified: July 23, 2003, 1:43:24 PM

Howard . . .if the correct filesize is 3,026,944 bytes then why does it say 2.88 mg in the folder and not 3.02 mg?

Jammy

If you really have the newest client, AND you deleted filelist.txt to ensure a clean start, you should not get any .val file errors. It is possible your browser is caching the download or something. To be sure, the Windows foldtrajlite.exe should be exactly 3,026,944 bytes. If yours is bigger or smaller, you haven't got the correct one and need to grab it again and delete filelist.txt (see the link at the top of this thread). I believe is you are seeing those strings -0DA4652A- etc etc being printed, you are NOT using the fixed one so please double check if in doubt.
    --William James

Originally posted by Jammy
    Howard . . .if the correct filesize is 3,026,944 bytes then why does it say 2.88 mg in the folder and not 3.02 mg?

Jammy
    I think you need to read the answer which is right above your question...
    Howard Feldman

Blog Entries
    Originally posted by Jammy

Jammy
    1 kiloByte = 1,024 Bytes
    1 MegaByte = 1,024 kiloBytes = 1,048,576 Bytes
    1 GigaByte = 1,024 MegaBytes = 1,048,576 kiloBytes = 1,073,741,824 Byes

--> 3,026,944 Bytes = 2956 kiloBytes = 2,88 MegaBytes

EDIT: Howard was faster than I was...
    AND: Vendors of harddisks, etc, ... often say that 1000 Kilobytes (mega, giga, etc...) is one megabyte (giga, etc...). That isn't true (as I mentioned above)
    the-mk

Sorry Howard but Doc must have been writing his post at the same time I was composing mine.

Jammy

I think you need to read the answer which is right above your question...
    --William James

Where in the hell is the correct link for the 1:43 PM version? It certainly is not in this thread!!!
    Every passing minute is a chance to turn it all around...

I am happy to inform you that the copy that I downloaded this morning from the official website was the 7/23 03 1:43 p.m. version. I did not use my Internet Explorer to download it but I used my Phoenix browser.

But it would be nice if Howard changed the date from 7/22 to 7/23 on that website!

Jammy

Originally posted by theBRAINbelly
    Where in the hell is the correct link for the 1:43 PM version? It certainly is not in this thread!!!
    --William James

That's very nice Jammy but that does NOT answer my question.

WHERE is "the" link or "a" link for the latest 1:43PM version? ALL I get when downloading are versions time stamped 1:09PM! Either there is a newer verion or there isn't.

Which is it Howard?????

Try this link.... This is the working version.

ftp://ftp.mshri.on.ca/pub/distribfol...rent-win9x.zip

Just checked the file mentioned - everything in it has the 1:43 timestamp.

Using Winzip has a little catch to it - it wants to extract everything to a sub-folder in the destination. Be certain that the files are really going where you expect them to, and not just to a "distribfold" sub-folder when you extract them

OK... so why was this not spelled out that the latest version time stamped 1:43PM was really hiding in the Windows Text Client download?

Perhaps in the future, a link to the Psyhic Hotline could be added so many of us would not waste so much time...

Now I must revisit all the machines I tweaked yesterday thinking that the 1:09PM version was current...

Smile

Heh . . .mine go to a distribfold folder which is inside a Distributed Folding folder on my C drive. I always make sure that anything I download goes to its respective folder.

BTW >>> the rest of the contents of my Distributed Folding folder are dfGUI's from well over a year now.

Jammy

Originally posted by CodeMonkey
    Just checked the file mentioned - everything in it has the 1:43 timestamp.

Using Winzip has a little catch to it - it wants to extract everything to a sub-folder in the destination. Be certain that the files are really going where you expect them to, and not just to a "distribfold" sub-folder when you extract them
    --William James

Where's the problem?

I did it last night three times on 15 boxen.....

It keeps young and fresh.....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12