Thread: Come And Get It Again

Come And Get It Again

Howard had yet more compiler problems on the 11AM version.

New binaries available now.

The 11AM version would sail through Gen 0, then die an ugly death.

Great that it got fixed so fast though!
    www.hardcoreware.net

Sure enough!!

20 boxen just rolled over and died.

Just a Windows release?
    Agent Smith was right!: "I hate this place. This zoo. This prison. This reality, whatever you want to call it, I can't stand it any longer. It's the smell! If there is such a thing. I feel saturated by it. I can taste your stink and every time I do, I fear that I've somehow been infected by it."

Originally posted by Chinasaur
    Just a Windows release?
    Not shure about that, but my windows 2000 box is now at speed it had before the first update, so it is a "must" for windows users....

<Greets Thor

my stupid..only Windows.
    Agent Smith was right!: "I hate this place. This zoo. This prison. This reality, whatever you want to call it, I can't stand it any longer. It's the smell! If there is such a thing. I feel saturated by it. I can taste your stink and every time I do, I fear that I've somehow been infected by it."

Stats God in Training Darkness Productions's Avatar
    God forbid he do an automatic update so that those of us who weren't here all day could get the update as well....

I'm kinda doubting that he want's to send this out to everyone till it's confirmed to be working. as we did have 2 updates so far today alone.

DON'T JUST UPDATE THE .EXE!

This from Howard:

If you were unfortunate enough to get the error about the .val file being corrupt at the end of generation 0, you will have to delete filelist.txt to get it going again, yes. The file is, indeed, corrupt after all. The fixed client cannot un-corrupt it. But it will not produce any corrupt files itself anymore.

Nothing is ever simple is it.

Hopefully our crunchers check in sometime today..we need to get the Windows peeps back online soonest.

All my boxen at home rolled over and died after generation 0. Hopefully I can get a few of them updated and re-started later this evening. My stats are all flat-lined for the day....

LOL

Hope this doesn't sound too dense but why do people call their PCs "boxen"

BTW back to crunching at full speed now. Hope I have the right update and I don't crash after gen 0. <crosses fingers>

from the jargon file:
    /bok'sn/ [by analogy with {VAXen}] pl.n. Fanciful plural of {box} often encountered in the phrase `UNIX boxen', used to describe commodity {{UNIX}}} hardware. The connotation is that any two UNIX boxen are interchangeable.

Re: LOL

Originally posted by Fozzie
    Hope this doesn't sound too dense but why do people call their PCs "boxen"

BTW back to crunching at full speed now. Hope I have the right update and I don't crash after gen 0. <crosses fingers>
    I downloaded a full, "fresh" version of the client => crashes after generation 0.

Re: Re: LOL

Originally posted by wirthi
    I downloaded a full, "fresh" version of the client => crashes after generation 0.
    but did you remove the old files first.

Re: Re: Re: LOL

Originally posted by DocWardo
    but did you remove the old files first.
    No - but I had none. This was the first time I downloaded and folded the 2. protein of the 2. phase.

I ran DF while phase 1, and I ran it after the beginning of phase 2. After losing my buffer several times on different machines due to different bugs I stopped usind it. For tuesday a new (bugfree) client-version was promised, so I downloaded it (on Wednesday=today, some hours ago) => crash. I didn't patch the downloaded directory with the "newest" exe though. Perhaps I should have done that. Anyway, Howard promised a new version soon.

I officially have had 2 boxen get past gen 0 with the new err old new ... folding proggie.

I may not have noticed this before but it seems to take almost a 60 to 75 seconds to move on to the next gen... ( had me worried for a second)

/me scurries of to home phramage to survey carnage and implement new old new folding proggie.

You *MUST* delete the old filelist.txt file before using the new .exe file!

I'm deleting everything but handle.txt. Before extracting new old new proggie.

Also if you have installed the client as a service make sure you remove it as a service before deleting the files in the directory. Then reinstall as a service after you extract the new old new client. If you don't you will play hell trying to start it as a service.

I've never uninstalled the server and havn't any any problems restarting after completely obliterating the directory and reinstalling. you just have to make sure the filenames and locations stay the same. and of course stop the service before the transplant.

Originally posted by DocWardo
    I've never uninstalled the server and havn't any any problems restarting after completely obliterating the directory and reinstalling. you just have to make sure the filenames and locations stay the same. and of course stop the service before the transplant.
    Tryied that... files went back into the same directory nothing else changed and the service wouldn't start on several of my xp boxen?

I just figured the service didn't recognise something about the new foldtrajlite? Anyway thats my story and I'm sticking to it.

If its bizzarre in computing it will happen to me...

Originally posted by IronBits
    You *MUST* delete the old filelist.txt file before using the new .exe file!
    Worked for me without deleting the old filelist.txt file....My box was at about structure 3000 of gen.0 when I read about the gen.0 bug. Then I just stopped the client and put the new .exe in the folder where it belongs and the client runs just fine, it is now at generation #40 on an AMD 1800.

Guess I'm a lucky guy...

Greets Thor

Thor

You didn't install the infamous 11am exe so there was no need for you to delete filelist.txt

I unfortunately installed it on 3/4 of my nodes only to have the pleasure of reinstalling them again a few hours later.

Originally posted by cygnussphere
    Tryied that... files went back into the same directory nothing else changed and the service wouldn't start on several of my xp boxen?

I just figured the service didn't recognise something about the new foldtrajlite? Anyway thats my story and I'm sticking to it.

If its bizzarre in computing it will happen to me...

When I replaced clients on XP some I had to remove-install the service and some just worked. No particular pattern that I could see.

Originally posted by PCZ
    Thor

You didn't install the infamous 11am exe so there was no need for you to delete filelist.txt

I unfortunately installed it on 3/4 of my nodes only to have the pleasure of reinstalling them again a few hours later.
    I installed the 11am .exe....thats for shure and I was happy about the speed. an when I read about the new bug I thought it's all

and then I just dropped the new .exe in my distributed folding directory.
    And it worked for me...

Greets Thor

ALL
    I hope we can get back to normal for a while.
    Let's hope that Howard decides to do a bit of beta testing on future updates.

Brian