Thread: Nice and quiet

Wink Nice and quiet

Ever notice when the clients are working correctly, it gets awful quiet and spooky in here?

/me wonders what kind of sense of humour Howard has to liven this place up from time to time.

/ducking and running

Might be nice and quiet but I have noticed a marked slow down in the performance of my AMD CPU compared to Intel CPUs of a similar size.

Anyone else getting this sort of performance difference.

Here's an excerpt from my post in the OCAU forums:

The three PCs I started with DF this morning are listed below, together with number of structures completed and best RMS. All 3 used the -rt swicthes and are basically sitting there doing nothing but DF.

1. Intel Celeron 433 - 256 MB ram with -qt -rt

Started 10:58 am
    Structures = 7981
    Best RMS = 39.454

2. AMD K6-2/450 - 160 MB ram with -rt (running as a service)

Started 10:55 am
    Structures = 4581
    Best RMS = 46.368

3. Intel Celeron 433 - 160 MB ram with -qt -rt

Started 10:52 am
    Structures = 7926
    Best RMS = 44.921
    Crunching for OCAU

OCworkbench Stats Ho
    I have reports that the P4s are doing a lot better now, ot the XPs are doing worse. Maybe there is some Optimization going on, maybe Intel has got to yet another programmer with the cheque book
    I am not a Stats Ho, it is just more satisfying to see that my numbers are better than yours.

Boinc'ing away
    Originally posted by Grumpy
    I have reports that the P4s are doing a lot better now, ot the XPs are doing worse. Maybe there is some Optimization going on, maybe Intel has got to yet another programmer with the cheque book
    TBH, I haven't noticed anything like that...the only speed increase I've seen is when it gets stuck and that is across both P4 and AMD XP processors...

Check all the clients, check em twice, make sure they are using the 1:09 pm compiled version.

Boinc'ing away
    Originally posted by IronBits
    Check all the clients, check em twice, make sure they are using the 1:09 pm compiled version.
    I thought it was the 1:43pm version that was the one that worked (well, it is for me)...the 1:09pm won't get past gen 0...

I stand corrected, off to update all the clients again

25/25Mbit is nearly enough :p pointwood's Avatar
    Ahhhhh.....how nice and quiet it is here while IronBits is away, upgrading machines

EDIT:

/me runs and hides!
    Last edited by pointwood; 07-24-2003 at 11:01 AM.
    Pointwood
    Jabber ID: pointwood@jabber.shd.dk
    irc.arstechnica.com, #distributed

"So utterly at variance is destiny with all the little plans of men." - H.G. Wells

Smile

Yeh . .. it is very peaceful in here! BTW >>> I "finally" got the windows client up and running on my T-Bird and it has successfully been running now for 3 hours and 4 minutes and has completed seven (7) generations.

I am getting ready to reinstall the client on my XP 2600 right now. Just when are my stats going to start showing up on the team page?

Jammy

Originally posted by Dyyryath
    A great many people think they are thinking when they are really rearranging their prejudices.
    --William James

Seventeen or Bust: Team Prime Rib

OCworkbench Stats Ho
    Nothing I like more than quiet, except for quiet with the Stats ticking over nicely..silly Microsoft
    I am not a Stats Ho, it is just more satisfying to see that my numbers are better than yours.

True, so true. All of this commotion and the problems wiith the new phase 2 client have been a riot, haven't they . . .NOT!

Anyways . . .let me go so I can reinstall the client on my XP 1900. I have to catch up for many of my team mates (Free-DC) have gotten tons of points already!

Jammy

Originally posted by Grumpy
    Nothing I like more than quiet, except for quiet with the Stats ticking over nicely..silly Microsoft
    A great many people think they are thinking when they are really rearranging their prejudices.
    --William James

Jammy: There's no reason to quote every post you answer - especially when the post you are quoting is the one above your reply...

Furthermore - when you do quote, it's a good rule to post your answer below the quote.
    Pointwood

Originally posted by Jammy
    Anyways . . .let me go so I can reinstall the client on my XP 1900. I have to catch up for many of my team mates (Free-DC) have gotten tons of points already!
    MUST ....... START ....... NOW .........

Let's just give it a try .. I can't give you too many points lead

Blog Entries
    Originally posted by wirthi
    MUST ....... START ....... NOW .........

Let's just give it a try .. I can't give you too many points lead
    the-mk

Must you always be so critical of me and ruin the happy mood I am in since I finally got my df up and running Pointwood?

I live in the US anyway . . .we have different punctuation and such here.

Anyways . . .I follow Netiquette to the rule! I even have the rules up at one of my websites: Viginia Shea's Netiquette]

Jammy

anyways . . .your post is

Sorry IB.

Originally posted by pointwood

Furthermore - when you do quote, it's a good rule to post your answer below the quote.
    --William James

Hey the-mk . . .I am still chasing after you too!

Jammy
    --William James

Originally posted by Jammy

Must you always be so critical of me and ruin the happy mood I am in since I finally got my df up and running Pointwood?
    Maybe I'm being critical, but I don't understand why it is that's so difficult for you to learn proper quoting

All I really want to archieve is to make this a better place. Getting people to quote properly makes this a better place for everyone.
    I live in the US anyway . . .we have different punctuation and such here.
    These rules are the same everywhere. I don't see what punctuation have to do with quoting

Anyways . . .I follow Netiquette to the rule!
    I'm sorry, but you don't follow the netiquette to the rule. You very often quote others when it's clearly not neccesary and you post your answers 'above* the quote which makes it confusing.

I even have the rules up at one of my websites
    I'm unable to find anything about quoting in the rules you link to

Here is a page that clearly explains how you you should quote and the reasons why that is the preferred way: http://www.uwasa.fi/~ts/http/quote.html

I hope it's pretty easy to see from my post how much easier it is to read when the reply is posted below the quote. I only quoted you to show it, otherwise I wouldn't have quoted you at all because it wasn't neccessary to quote anything from your message. You and everyone else wouldn't have any problems figuring out what I'm replying to.
    Pointwood

Back on topic again.

I posted earlier re the discrepencies between my Intel and AMD PCs.

Well it's now Friday morning and they have had some additional time to crunch away.

The AMD has caught up, now being on the same generation as one of my Intels but still 2 behind the other. I imagine by this stage, the different permutations possible are having their affect.

Crunching for OCAU

This thread is all about peace and quiet, not :bs:

Now that my 'quiet place' thread has been ruined, I'll just have to resort to plan B!

Plan B =

Originally posted by pointwood
    You and everyone else wouldn't have any problems figuring out what I'm replying to. [/B]
    Mr. Pointwood sir, Ms Jammy has been riding on the outer edge for as long as I have know her. She truly has her own drummer. I fear you waste you time in trying to change her ways, good or bad. I gave up on that a long time ago. I learned that this: only results in a headache.