Thread: New to Linux client - Help!

New to Linux client - Help!

The recent problems with the window client has given me the push I needed dive into Linux. I've set aside this weekend soley for that.

So, I've downloaded and burned some CDs (Debian), installed, booted, logged in, and...

./foldtrajlite: error while loading shared libraries: libncurses.so.4: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Blog Entries
    Maybe this thread could help you: http://www.free-dc.org/forum/showthr...ibncurses.so.4
    the-mk

Good information in that thar thread, but it still ain't runnin'.

I've tried making a libncurses.so.4 link to the existing libncurses.so.5.2 and tried giving /distribfold/ its own copy of the library (including versions found via google). The result:

./foldit: line 26: Illegal instruction ./foldtrajlite -f protein -n native

The client requires a Pentium 2 or better CPU. Im guessing thats not what you have... Please also try the second Linux client (there's two, gcc and icc).
    Howard Feldman

Pentium 2, eh? Well, if this K6-2 can run the winderz version I figure it ought to be able to run the Linux version.

Re-downloaded the tarballs, tried 'em both. gcc is a no go, again. The icc version started right up. Intel code on my AMD? Blasphemy!

Seems I'll need to try/bench both versions as I convert the faster, newer machines.

Stats God in Training Darkness Productions's Avatar
    If you're running debian, you'll need to make a symlink from libncurses.so.5 to libncurses.so.4

To do that, login as root and type: ln -s /lib/libncurses.so.5 /lib/libncurses.so.4

Then try to run the client again and see if that helps you.

I've tried making a libncurses.so.4 link to the existing libncurses.so.5.2 and tried giving /distribfold/ its own copy of the library (including versions found via google). The result:

./foldit: line 26: Illegal instruction ./foldtrajlite -f protein -n native
    Been here - done this. I have maybe 1/2 dozen Via C3 mini ITX board around here - some 500's, some 800's , a couple of 1000's.
    Installed Red Hat - ran into exactly the same problem.

Best way to find out what is going on is to run "./foldtrajlite -f protein -n native" direc tly from the command line. If it's a shared library problem, you'll find out. Sadly, on the VIA C3s, it *really is* an illegal machine instruction problem.

They just choke on something in the code, even though they seem to run everything else under Red Hat 9.0 just fine. Both the gcc and intel version of the executable has the same problem on those boards.....
    FreeDC Mercenary

That's a shame the C3's won't run it -- as cheap as they are they'd make good farm boards.

It still bugs me that the gcc version won't run but the icc one will (bah, Intel!). But, it's finished gen 0 and continues without a hitch, so I'll tolerate it.

Now to figure out the rest of the OS...

You need the Pakage compat

Hi,

I had the same problem under SuSE Linux, I had ti have installed a Pakage called compat.

I think there is a Pakage for Debian too.

With regards

schluppy