Thread: PI233 with Linux worth it?

has been eaten by a grue.

PI233 with Linux worth it?

I've got an old Pentium 233 laptop, with 256 megs of RAM. The official page implies this would run DF, as long as I'm not running Windows (yeah, right - I run Linux).

Is it worth even trying to run DF on it? Every little bit helps, I suppose, and I won't be traveling with it often.

Thanks.

Heh, I tossed in a P90 on linux at one point ... I don't think you'll get too much out of it, maybe if you are in a really close race. I had a P133 notebook but the reason I didn't run the client extensively is the problem of heat ... that thing got ridiculously hot. You might want to install it just for the entertainment value.

has been eaten by a grue.
    Heat...hadn't thought about that. From what I've seen on the web, this model has heat issues. It was fine being left on all day in a training centre, though. Can give it a try, if I move it off the dry, cardboard box <g>. As you said, Kosh, it might be amusing.

Originally posted by qibhom
    Heat...hadn't thought about that. From what I've seen on the web, this model has heat issues. It was fine being left on all day in a training centre, though. Can give it a try, if I move it off the dry, cardboard box <g>. As you said, Kosh, it might be amusing.
    It's a big difference between being on all day and crunching all day. I would definitely prop it up so air can get under it. Run it for an hour and see if you can touch it.