Thread: client shuts down with no errors.

client shuts down with no errors.

I've seen a few reports by the folks over at The Rebel's Haven Computer Forum mentioning that they're having systems stop running DF on them without an error in the error.log or on screen message.
    i.e. leave DF running. Come back.. and DF is gone, with no error.log entry or other indication as to why.

After they've run things like memtest86, anti virus, anti spyware - what other recommendations do you have for trying to track down the solution to the problem, Howard?

Couldn't find a similar problem when I tried searching for it. (perhaps I used the wrong terms..

I'll put this up here to see if we can find a solution for the problem, in case others are running into it, as well.
    www.thegenomecollective.com
    Borging.. it's not just an addiction. It's...

As with any bug, we first need as much info as possible - what OS, are they running as service, screensaver? What options/flags have been changed from the defaults? Is the .lock file still there or do they appear to have exited 'cleanly'?
    Howard Feldman

A member of our team had this error also.

AMD Atlon(tm) XP 2600+
    512 MB RAM
    WinXP Professional

No special parameters, nothing special in error.log.

It could be any hardware problem, because it's indeed hot in these days in Germany.

Caught Sig 11

Mandrake 8.1 box stopped last night with this error msg -

ERROR: [001.001] {foldtrajlite2.c, line 1987} Caught sig 11

No .lock file. Also corrupted filelist.txt and lost gen work. Hadn't touched box in 5 hours.

Mandrake 8.1, 512RAM, 20GB disk nearly empty, XP2400
    Agent Smith was right!: "I hate this place. This zoo. This prison. This reality, whatever you want to call it, I can't stand it any longer. It's the smell! If there is such a thing. I feel saturated by it. I can taste your stink and every time I do, I fear that I've somehow been infected by it."

It was me that prompted Alien952 to post here about clients shutting down with no apparent reason. It happens to me probably twice a week, on totally different machines - I got 2 folders and their specs are:

XP2000+ non oc
    MSI 746F
    512MB PC2100
    Win XP
    Client installed on second hdd
    Client not running as service - have a shortcut in Start Menu to start client on bootup.
    Flags enabled are Use Extra Ram, Quiet Mode
    Refresh rate set to 120
    DF Client is hidden
    Flags set in Autostart, Autostop and Start in system tray

Athlon TBird 1GHz non oc
    Jetway 663AS Pro
    384 PC133
    Win XP
    Client installed on second hdd
    Flags enabled are Use Extra Ram, Quiet Mode
    Refresh rate set to 120
    DF Client is hidden
    Flags set in Autostart, Autostop and Start in system tray

Both use Jeff's DFGUI as the interface. When the client stops, the DFGUI still shows it as running. The shutdowns usually occur mid-gen, rather than at the beginning or end. There's no error message in the error log, and I haven't checked on the .lock file yet cos it hasn't stopped since I first read this thread!!

Hope that gives you guys something to start with!!
    Shocked....

Are you getting application errors in the event log?

I just had it crash on me again. There's nothing obvious in the event logs relating to folding, and I couldn't find a lock file anywhere in the distribfold folder either. I also downloaded and installed the updated foldtrajlite.exe that was released to hopefully fix some other bugs. I did this cos the old foldtrajlite refused to work anymore - no idea of any error messages and I deleted the whole damned lot cos I was slightly annoyed!! Anybody got any ideas yet, cos it's really starting to annoy me now. I've reloaded the client 16 times since the new phase was released, and have managed to complete just 3 of them from start to finish.
    Shocked....

For those of you who are getting sig 11 errors:
    Are you running any software that might inadvertantly try to shut down/kill the client or other applications?

Have you thoroughly checked the memory on the machine it's happening on?

Sig 11 is usully related to memory violations, so please check VERY carefully.

Without any error messages from either the client or your OS, this is still a little
    Elena Garderman

Nothing running but DF. RAM is 512MB Crucial PC2700. One stick. This same stick ran another DF box for 3 months no errors.

I posted the error.log msg...see my previous post above. It gave the line number. What else do you need because that's all the client spit out when it crashed
    Agent Smith was right!: "I hate this place. This zoo. This prison. This reality, whatever you want to call it, I can't stand it any longer. It's the smell! If there is such a thing. I feel saturated by it. I can taste your stink and every time I do, I fear that I've somehow been infected by it."

Also check your power supply. ALL modern motherboards have utility programs to display the various outputs. Find out who manufactured your CPU, MB, RAM, and video card. They all have voltage requirements listed somewhere. If your MB is too old to have a voltage-reading utility, maybe it's time to retire that one to a less-aggressive DC project. (My personal preference is UD-THINK. Very stable. Runs fine on old systems.)

Assuming you have a relatively new system that assures that your voltages are correct and stable, check your motherboard supplier for BIOS updates. MOST MB's get at least one BIOS upgrade after a few users let the manufacturer know that they've screwed up, which they usually have.
    Last edited by Paratima; 08-11-2003 at 07:34 PM.

Hey Paratima,

<Joking> Maybe I should check on the purity of the Galium Arsenide and the Silicon ingredients used in the fab of the RAM, MB, Vid card boards. Also, for that matter, how many winds on the rotor in the power supply?</Joking>

System is 3 weeks old.
    Last edited by Chinasaur; 08-12-2003 at 12:52 PM.