Thread: Linux Error Question

OCworkbench Stats Ho

Linux Error Question

Anyone know what "Caught Sig 11" means, Folding Box keeps crashing with this
    I am not a Stats Ho, it is just more satisfying to see that my numbers are better than yours.

Err, actually I'm here now, due to extreme boredom... It's actually my problem
    Proud member of the OCWorkbench Distributed Folding team

Sig 11 is SIGSEGV. It's the signal that the kernel sends to a process when the process tries to use memory that it doesn't own or otherwise have access to (basically).

The Windows "foldtrajlite.exe has encountered an error and needs to close" messagebox is pretty much the same thing.

What's the client doing when it crashes like this? Is it repeatable at all, or does it just happen (seemingly) randomly?

Erm, yeah, it's a memory fault. Might be a good time to run Memtest.

Bearing in mind that we're talking a machine that was folding without fault nor restart for over a month under Win98 (hardly known to be a stable os) I 'm not so convniced it's a memory issue. Also, it does it overclocked or no. Passes MemtestX86 standard run fine 3 times, so I'm really inclined to blame the client or OS here.

Detailled specs:
    Palomino 1800+ @ 11.5x145, 1.85v (or not, it makes no difference...)
    ECS L7VTA (KT400) board
    128MB Samsung PC2100 Running at 2.75v
    SuSE 8.2 running 2.4.2x Athlon kernel
    foldtrajlite running with -15 priority

Thanks for the respons guys... this one really has me stumped. Like I said, this is a stable box normally... Crashes occur seemingly randomly. Sometimes it goes a few days fine, sometimes it won't hit an hour without dying. The biggest problem is the fact that it dies silently, and doesn't even beep thru the system speaker when it dies, like some other errors

I know precisely how you feel. Had the same thing, several times.

Something you must remember is that if you wanted a program that would really grind down your system and uncover even the tiniest fault, you couldn't do much better than this client! It really is a worst-case system test.

Next thing to check is your power supply. They DO age, you know.

If your BIOS allows such tweaking, try upping the voltage to RAM just a bit and see how it runs. It WILL increase your heat dissipation, don't forget.

The RAM is already running at 2.75v, the max my board will allow. I'll have to reinstall windows on this machine now for comparative testing, but like I said, it's only a few weeks since I switched it to Linux (biggest mistake of my life, lolz), and before it was completely stable Still, at least my main box is folding happily now...

OCworkbench Stats Ho
    You realise Bill Gates has now read this Topic and had it printed in the media...

"Windows 98 More Stable Than Linux"

Oh the indignity to come
    I am not a Stats Ho, it is just more satisfying to see that my numbers are better than yours.

Uh, come to think of it guys, it could be a power problem, because when I switched it over to Linux originally I was planning to use it as a PVR, and so I put in a TV Card, and PCI-Cardbus adapter for a wireless card. I remeber thinking at the time that some of the lines were a bit low...

Having now given over this box to folding, I just pulled the TV card out, and put the box back on the wired lan (wireless refused to work anyways!), and it hasn't died yet!

We'll see over the next few days if my problem is solved. Otherwise I might have to replace my high quality "Mercury" 300w PSU. lol...

to Linux

Running the client under Linux does seem to stress it more than Windoze. Not sure why.

Anyhow, glad you got it working. Fold on!