Thread: My Downs and Ups with DF

Unhappy My Downs and Ups with DF

It has been a bad week for me so far for me.

I have Chinasaur full view in my rear mirror. I am trying to keep ahead of him, but luck is against me.

So far in the las couple of days.

I have lost a 1.4Ghz machine due to a faulty PSU.

Lost 40,000 odd points from a remote machine for some reason or another.

My XP1800 last night decided to stop up loading result due to a corrupted filelist.txt. So another 10,000 points gone.

You think it can't get any worse. It can. My two machines at home for some reason have stopped sending results in the last couple of hours and there is nothing I can do about it. Here I am sitting at work, another 2 hours before I can anywhere near them. All I can do is watch all these zeros appear on my stats.

On the upside...

I added another computer. Okay it was only a Celeron @ 433Mhz, but hey it all helps.

I have ordered a new PSU. So my 1.4Ghz machine should be up and running by Saturday afternoon.

To cheer myself up I also ordered an XP2400 and enough bits to add another box.

Re: My Downs and Ups with DF

Originally posted by Richard Clyne

To cheer myself up I also ordered an XP2400 and enough bits to add another box.

Nice cheer-up
    FreeDC Mercenary

Good news. It was my connection that had dropped. There was some stored work ready for uploading

Fingures crossed they up loaded okay or the next update will be the one Chinasaur speeds past me.

You under the same black cloud that got Fozzie?

Go have a you'll feel better

Luck
    Agent Smith was right!: "I hate this place. This zoo. This prison. This reality, whatever you want to call it, I can't stand it any longer. It's the smell! If there is such a thing. I feel saturated by it. I can taste your stink and every time I do, I fear that I've somehow been infected by it."

Cheers Chinasaur I think I will.

/me helps himself to one of IB's beers, and tries to come up with a plan to drive a "Wedge" between Chinasaur and himself. (see DF Stats if you don't see the joke ).

Fozzie is in a worse state than me. At least I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. Poor Fozzie ain't seeing anything.

Nice save

Agent Smith was right!: "I hate this place. This zoo. This prison. This reality, whatever you want to call it, I can't stand it any longer. It's the smell! If there is such a thing. I feel saturated by it. I can taste your stink and every time I do, I fear that I've somehow been infected by it."

TBH mate I have seen something

I've seen bye bye to those 200,000 points but hey it was worth it just to see the sort of guys I am teamed up with and TBH it was worth it.

Touched I was.

So I am looking at slightly longer term for sinking Sunk and proving Wirthi is from Wayne's World. Also Bwkaz is marked with the black spot (Q dodgey pirate voice).

Ah that he be ah, shiver me timbers and all that.
    Alas poor Borg, I knew it Horatio

http://www.butlersurvey.com/

/me heads down the Drinker for pint with Richard and Fozzie..

The weekend is well and truley over and I have managed to get the T'bird's new PSU installed and the XP2400 up and running.

I must add it was not without its problems. The hot weather in the UK has given me headaches with CPUs overheating. I had one running at 75C (note C not F) :shocked: Got to admit that high external temp has never been something I've had to worry about when building a PC, but in future I will. Removing the the offending computers's heatsink and fan, adding new thermal grease seems to have done the trick . The home machines have been up and running for over 24 hours with no system shutdowns or clients stopping.

Although I did get a problem with one machine getting the dreaded error 907. This client carried on working but never uploading the completed work. It just sat there storing them. Nothing to be done here but do a fresh install and get over it.

I am now using DCMonitor to output a "htm" file to my web server so that I can monitor my home computers from work. This will stop me getting in a panic if I don't see any output for a while, well maybe.

What does the future hold. Now that I have my clients up and running smoothly we have a changeover due so it's in the hands of god and Howard wether I get a smooth changeover or have to spend the next week sorting them again.

So to all DF'ers out there, may your changeover be sweet with in the streets, and not like last time when many computers where and a few people went a bit .

dont worry mister clyne i will get chinasaur for you

Originally posted by mr_mann
    dont worry mister clyne i will get chinasaur for you
    Thanks for the offer, but keeping ahead of you, aswell as catching Chinasaur is my immediate problem.

well starting this weekend im adding 5 new machines

thats why i was offering to catch chinasaur for ya i didnt know u wanted to stay in front of me

LOL mr_mann. I don't think I will able to match 5 new machines. When the time comes I will step aside and let you zip by me.

Word of caution. I have done battle with Chinasaur before and after thinking I had him dead and buried he came from nowhere. Giving me a as he zoomed past.

so your sayin that hes a sneaky guy? i hate those

ill have to keep finding more machines then i guess...

or if u want... i could see if i could add a few machines on ur account..
    and we could get u past him for good

Your wish has come true. So let it be written...so go read my "Vacation" post

mr_mann,

Would never put Chinasaur down as sneaky, but when it comes to get blood out of a stone or simply put "ensuring comuters are running efficiantly, so to maximise the number generations per day". He's da man.

Thanks for the offer of help, but I should be able to pass Chinasaur while he is on vacation.

ok ok hes not sneaky guy hes a squeezy guy

2 out of 4 autoupdated so far :)

I decided to let my home clients autoupdate. I wanted to see a 100% success on the four computers I have at home.

Glad to report that so far two of my machines have managed to get through and have updated with what appears to be no problems.

Everything crossed for the next two clients.

So heres to no nasty surprises.

Okay not an autoupdate problem, but one of my clients decided to get corrupted.

Got this error message

ERROR: [001.001] {trajtools.c, line 3507} Unable to open trajectory distribution file 0anks1dr_protein_187.trj
    FATAL ERROR: [002.003] {foldtrajlite2.c, line 5262} Unable to read trajectory distribution 0anks1dr_protein_187, please create a new one

Re-ran it, but it can not download new client yet. So I have had to delete the filelist and start again. Hopefully by the time it get rounds to uploading that result the DF server will be quiet and it will get a chance to download the new client.

If only life had no problems

re-download the client fresh again, do a clean install...
    rumor has it they put the wrong .val file in the very first release we could get our fingers on

Boinc'ing away
    Just a quick note - the full packages from the download page seem to have the 58k native.val file and not the 31K...

Originally posted by IronBits
    re-download the client fresh again, do a clean install...
    rumor has it they put the wrong .val file in the very first release we could get our fingers on
    i just redownloaded the win9x.zip from the ftp and it is the same, 58k native.val

i pulled the screensaver and ripped the 33k .val out of it

i didn't try the web page download, i think they come from the same source
    Use the right tool for the right job!

You are correct, the packages contain the wrong size native.val file (58kb)
    The correct size is 33kb... 4th time around, I finally figured it out.
    Not bad, only pissed off 7-8 hours trying to get all the clients updated!
    IF the clients updated themselves, it appears they got the right one.

This may be my last effort - if it fubars next time around, I think I will need a solid client, like OGR-25, to run for a few months...
    It will feel like being on a vacation!

IB

I am in total agreement with you.

PS
    The native.val you linked to worked .

Just got an email back from Howard, said he just fixed all the download packages
    "Ok, thanks, I see now. I fixed them. Strange.."

my production is way up this is a good thing