Thread: Static or Non-Static?

Static or Non-Static?

Linux newb here... What is the difference between the Static and Non-Static Linux clients available for CB?

The static makes your hair stand on end?

0-6 12-9 11-3 11-3 0-8 1

has been eaten by a grue.
    There are certain bits of code (libraries) that are on nearly all Linux systems, and are shared between different programs. This is efficient, and is a long standing feature of unix-like OSes.

It also leads to problems when new versions of these libraries come out, but programs haven't caught up to them, or depend on something in a library that was taken out in a newer version.

So, some Linux apps come in static and non-static versions (Opera is another). The static version has all the needed libraries compiled in. The non-static doesn't, so you need to have the right versions of the required libraries. The non-static version will always be larger in size (which can be a serious issue for those who pay for access by the byte or have modems).

Basically, go for the static version unless;

a) You know you have the right versions of all the required libraries, or wish the challenge of figuring this out, making soft links to newer versions with the old names, running multiple versions of critical libraries or other fun Linux tricks that frequently lead to hair loss.

b) Are really short on hard drive space.

or

c) You either pay through the nose for metered net access (in which case, running CB is probably not a frugal idea) or have a 14.4 modem and can't download and burn a CD somewhere with a big pipe.

Sorry if you already knew some of this - I'm assuming you wanted a medium-level explaination, not just the simple "when in doubt, get the static" answer.

Thank you. No, I didn't know any of that and the medium-level explanation is very much appriciated. I am trying to learn as much about the OS as I can rather than simply just using it.

Have the static version running fine now.

If you want to learn about Linux, may I suggest two things? First, read Mike Gancarz's _The Unix Philosophy_, ISBN:1555581234. It is out of print, but you can get it at abe.com or your usual used book store. Excellent, concise. This is the best conceptual overview of unix-like OSes I've read, and shorter than most attempts.

Secondly, once you've been using Linux a bit, take an old computer, and build a LFS (Linux From Scratch) system. That will teach you how it all fits together. It'll take a few weeks, but you'll know what is Linux is what is frills.

I'm no expert, and I'm no programmer. I do better if I have a general framework to hang the specifics in. If you learn best building the framework from the specifics, these may not be useful suggestions.

Originally posted by QIbHom

Secondly, once you've been using Linux a bit, take an old computer, and build a LFS (Linux From Scratch) system. That will teach you how it all fits together. It'll take a few weeks, but you'll know what is Linux is what is frills.
    Your talking about something like Gentoo, correct? I had actually planned on doing exactly that once I got a bit more comfortable.

I am a hard core gamer at heart (dating all the way back to the original Ultima and Wizardry on an Apple IIe) so I won't be able to completely let go of windows, but I am trying to do everything else in Linux nowadays.

I still need to get myself more comfortable with the boot loaders. As it stands now I am dual booting through bios and two hard drives. Probably not the most effecient means of using my OS's (better to put swaps on seperate drives) but it works for now.

Thanks for the suggestions. I am sure I will get around to the LFS system a bit down the road and I will see if that book is in any of my local outlets.

I haven't played with Gentoo, but from what I understand, it is a more automated distro than LFS. With LFS, you build the tools from scratch that enable you to build the tools to build Linux completely from the ground up. I learned a ton when I did it, although I didn't keep that system. I might do it again.

It isn't a physical book, not yet. More info at http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/.

For bootloaders, I like GRUB. It is a bit tricky to get used to, but is easier to use in the long run. Used LILO for years.

Nothing wrong with using the BIOS. If it works, it is valid <g>.

I'm not much of a gamer, so I can't help you there. I will mention that Frozen Bubble is positively addictive, if you haven't played with it. Not exactly up to Quake standards, of course.

Gentoo is built from ground up if you choose to start from the stage1 tarball.
    Warning this Post is Rated "M" for Mature

-Contains Harsh Language
    -L337 HaX0r W3RD2!
    -Partial Nudity

I haven't lost my mind; it's backed up on tape drive somewhere.