Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Smack Down

Smack Down

Fresh from over at Ars
    bguinto1
    Smack-Fu Master, in training

Tribus: Foster City, CA

posted August 08, 2003 10:44

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Thanks. I'm thinking of challenging Free DC's top 2 producers to a 2-4 week Gauntlet after the changeover. Loser has to shut down for 1 week or move to another project for 1 week of loser's choosing. But first I need to see what the averages will look like after the new update.

Where is my Master? Dyyryath!!!

/me starts looking for ways to go into 'sleeper' mode

Minister of Misinformation magicfan241's Avatar
    So, now we need everyone to know IB or PCZ's handle, so when the gauntlet starts we can force Bguinto1 to stop doing DF for a week. That'll teach him....

IB

Do we rise to the challenge or not ?

in a way it is a bummer you can't do work for others (unless they give you their secret code), but howard did it that way for a good reason
    Use the right tool for the right job!

Ok, everyone move to the FDC anomyous account. We can beat up Bguinto1 with that!

Whaaaa? FreeDc'ers putting folding on someone else's handle

I can't imagine anyone of us that would do such a thing

Of coarse there would be nothing preventing the Artisians from doing the same thing

It would only be a real wager if he was willing to put up his structures before knowing the output rates and the bet should be that the loser has to Fold for a week for the winner on a differant handle (exp:bguinto1DFsmackdownloser) with the structures being left on the apposing team.:shocked:

Originally posted by PCZ
    IB
    Do we rise to the challenge or not ?
    Let us see what Howard brings us next go around.
    I've seen bursts of WUs he has dumped that brings tears to my eyes and with the stats fubar situation, well, we probably lost the history.
    That would take some serious thought tho... I didn't say NO.

Now IF Dyyryath rose to the challenge, then I'd be all for it with no hesitation!
    My money would be on Dyyryath all by his lonesome

Depends on the next client's reliability, let's see what happens.

I did note some hesitation on his part as well
    "But first I need to see what the averages will look like after the new update.

Currently, WE are doing about 2 million more a week than he

[/B][/QUOTE]
    I did note some hesitation on his part as well
    "But first I need to see what the averages will look like after the new update.

Currently, WE are doing about 2 million more a week than he [/B][/QUOTE]

As the old poker saying goes ... "never put all your cards on the table".

Howdy there "big guy". Don't suppose that we could convince you to move over to Free-DC from ARS? That would just solve all these little problems.....
    FreeDC Mercenary

Originally posted by magicfan241
    So, now we need everyone to know IB or PCZ's handle, so when the gauntlet starts we can force Bguinto1 to stop doing DF for a week. That'll teach him....
    I see there's a lot of honor in this group!

I am hesitant because of one thing - the stakes are too high.
    I see nothing but broken spirits for the losing team...

You are a worthy opponent and I'd love to answer the proposed challenge to push us harder, but not at the expense of either team's spirits.

For instance, I could go out and buy 20 more boxen at the drop of a hat, as you or PCZ could for that matter, but, that would also look like someone was putting work on our handles (which no one has) and we would be called cheaters by the losing Team. I see no way to avoid it.

A good smack down would be fun, there is no denying that !!!

Of course, for me, every day is a balls to the walls race.
    I always have my cards on the table, as well as my heart, for the science of the project, as a home pharmer.

Originally posted by bguinto1
    I see there's a lot of honor in this group!
    Just in case you didn't know - *I* took that post as a joke, and I'm assuming that everyone else did, too... The reason being well, look up MagicFan under ARS Team Crab Cake...

We don't do things like that, er, um, except for the Free-DC Hydra folk, that is, and they don't count, um, exactly... Well I mean they count, but the fact that they pool their output doesn't count, sort of.... Oh nevermind....
    Last edited by rsbriggs; 08-08-2003 at 05:02 PM.
    FreeDC Mercenary

Originally posted by rsbriggs
    Just in case you didn't know - *I* took that post as a joke, and I'm assuming that everyone else did, too... The reason being - MagicFan is the ARS leader of Team Crab Cake...

We don't do things like that, umm, except for the Free-DC Hydra folk, that is....
    Yes the post was meant in jest. Of course I wasn't intentionally trying offend anyone, especially not a fine, upstanding group as this one.

Originally posted by Ironbits
    I am hesitant because of one thing - the stakes are too high.
    I see nothing but broken spirits for the losing team...

You are a worthy opponent and I'd love to answer the proposed challenge to push us harder, but not at the expense of either team's spirits.

For instance, I could go out and buy 20 more boxen at the drop of a hat, as you or PCZ could for that matter, but, that would also look like someone was putting work on our handles (which no one has) and we would be called cheaters by the losing Team. I see no way to avoid it.

A good smack down would be fun, there is no denying that !!! [/B]
    You have a good point, we may just have to do this for pride. Although having something on the line does add a little more spice to this competition, wouldn't you agree?

As the old poker saying goes ... "never put all your cards on the table".
    A home pharmer should never go head to head with a corporate pharmer, especially a sneaky one , lest you like a good dose of humility.
    Just ask "Breaker of Rule #1" who stops in from time to time

You should pick on someone your own size, like Dyyryath or xj10bt for instance

Us home pharmers have more heart than GHz...

I like spice! How about you PCZ?

What do you suggest?

Originally posted by IronBits

I like spice! How about you PCZ?

What do you suggest?
    I don't have anything in mind at this time. I'm sure both our teams can come up with something "creative".

OH SO I DONT COUNT NOW
    Entry: lunatic
    Function: adjective
    Definition: crazy
    Synonyms: absurd, baked, balmy, bananas, batty, bonkers, cracked, crazed, daft, demented, deranged, dippy, flaky, flipped out, foolish, freaked out, gone ape, idiotic, insane, irrational, kooky, loco, loony, mad, maniac, maniacal, nonsensical, nuts, nutty, preposterous, psyched out, psycho, psychotic, schizoid, screwy, stupid, unhinged, unsound, wacky, whacko, zany
    Concept: health (poor)

IB

You raised a good point there about a sudden increase in points by any of us resulting in cries of foul play.

I am a 100% home farmer these days.

But I do have access to hundreds of corporate servers and workstations.
    In the past I have folded {F@H} on these and in the heat of competition against a corporate farmer I would have brought them into play.

I get a lot of satisfaction from competing against people such as yourself who
    have built and funded there own farms.

I would prefer it stayed that way.

So bgunito1
    I must respectfully decline your invitation to gauntlet

Originally posted by Anarchy99
    OH SO I DONT COUNT NOW
    here it comes

25/25Mbit is nearly enough :p pointwood's Avatar
    bguinto1: I don't think they'll ever dare joining a gauntlet against you - you'll seldom get a glimse of these freebies - they are pretty good at hiding themselves. By sneaking around for a while, I did manage to catch one of them of guard and here's the result...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Pointwood
    Jabber ID: pointwood@jabber.shd.dk
    irc.arstechnica.com, #distributed

bgunito1

I do want to gauntlet so if we could come up with an alternative to your original
    challenge then I would be up for it.

I have a suggestion:
    Could you goin forces with say 4 of your team mates. ?
    and FreeDC will create a team of 5.

Nice try, Pointy, but ARS is STILL #2 team in DF.

Quick - someone post a picture of a Cheese Danish..
    FreeDC Mercenary

25/25Mbit is nearly enough :p pointwood's Avatar

I hope I didn't offend anyone with that picture - it wasn't actually such a picture I was looking for, but I just had to use it
    Pointwood
    Jabber ID: pointwood@jabber.shd.dk
    irc.arstechnica.com, #distributed

@rsbriggs:
    I crunch THINK/TCC under my real name "Steven Scripko" Of course, giving zeros 'cause of the gauntlet.
    Yse, the post was meant as a joke. I just forget to use smilies alot....

Although if DF has another bad changeover, I suggest that people do UD. I've never had any client problems....

We're all friendly here. In general, no one attempts to offend, and no one gets very offended.... None of this stuff: :|punch|:

Actually I found the chicken picture kind of cute Still wish I could have found a picture of a cheese Danish to post, just to poke fun at pointy....

I'm actually doing a little crunching for ARS'es TVM for the BBQ gauntlet. Owed DragonGoddess a favor....

And no, Anarchy - I didn't say that you don't count.....
    FreeDC Mercenary

I posted to the wrong section of the Forum, so I moved it to the appropriate one "Trash Talk"

Interesting figures

The Wager

I will put up an AMD cruncher for the gauntlet

XP1600 (1.4 GHz), 1 stick of Mushkin 512mb PC2100 DDR w/heat spreader, SK6 all copper HSF, HDD, Video card and 3Com NIC.
    Burned in and used 24/7 as a cruncher, runs all clients with ease.

If PCZ and I should lose, (and we won't) I will donate this fine running system, minus case and PS because of shipping weight, to bguinto1 or to whom ever he wishes.

OR, I will put it on Ars TCC for ONE MONTH using any 'handle' bguinto1 requests me to use, in a personal email to me.

If we win, (and we will), bguinto1 has to put up an equivelant system and use our Free-DC Anonymous account using the following handle 92psu8co for ONE MONTH.

If PCZ is willing to match this offer, then bguinto1 will have to put up TWO equivalent
    systems on the Free-DC Anonymous account for ONE MONTH

We don't do things like that, umm, except for the Free-DC Hydra folk, that is....
    hey wait a sec...I'm the only one crunching under hydra central....if there were more than just me we'd have problems with my kind of output
    Warning this Post is Rated "M" for Mature

-Contains Harsh Language
    -L337 HaX0r W3RD2!
    -Partial Nudity

I haven't lost my mind; it's backed up on tape drive somewhere.

I'm confused!!

Is the gauntlet against bgunito1 back on or what.
    I believe we both declined.
    However IB if you want to do it afterall then I will have to assist you for the Honour of the team.

Yes I will match the stakes.

I would counsel you both NOT to do this thing.

It's only a ruse to disrupt production they can't otherwise beat you at.

Please don't confuse some foolhardy machismo stunt with common sense.

Agent Smith was right!: "I hate this place. This zoo. This prison. This reality, whatever you want to call it, I can't stand it any longer. It's the smell! If there is such a thing. I feel saturated by it. I can taste your stink and every time I do, I fear that I've somehow been infected by it."

I said the stakes were too high - I made a counter offer (glad you're with me PCZ!)
    He hasn't accepted the offer yet, or countered with a different option yet.

At worst, I lose my slowest boxen for a month, the price I pay to take on a commercial pharmer...

If he chooses to accept the cruncher, I'll replace it with a 2 GHz AMD cruncher and add it to my 'Stack'

At best, we get 2.8 GHz of AMD power added to Free-DC for a month

He's going to have to add at least 15-20 GHz more to beat us, good for the project!
    Then again, we may have scared off that 1200lb gorilla, in which case
    Or maybe he just figures it's not worth all the work it will take, in which case

Free-DC Semi-retire gopher_yarrowzoo's Avatar
    Ah Im glad you seen the light IB
    Hmm how about this a gauntlet like the Seti Gaunlet we had.. 2 teams one against the other... Crunching and Folding, no using "stashed" units so you can like erm do a major at some point and erm "upset" things...

Hmm so how about it, I couldn't unless it was seti cos that's the only Project I got running and I only really got the one boxen I can use 24/7....
    Semi-retired from Free-DC...
    I have some time to help.....
    I need a new laptop,but who needs a laptop when you have a phone...
    Now to remember my old computer specs..

Re: The Wager

Originally posted by IronBits
    I will put up an AMD cruncher for the gauntlet

XP1600 (1.4 GHz), 1 stick of Mushkin 512mb PC2100 DDR w/heat spreader, SK6 all copper HSF, HDD, Video card and 3Com NIC.
    Burned in and used 24/7 as a cruncher, runs all clients with ease.

If PCZ and I should lose, (and we won't) I will donate this fine running system, minus case and PS because of shipping weight, to bguinto1 or to whom ever he wishes.

OR, I will put it on Ars TCC for ONE MONTH using any 'handle' bguinto1 requests me to use, in a personal email to me.

If we win, (and we will), bguinto1 has to put up an equivelant system and use our Free-DC Anonymous account using the following handle 92psu8co for ONE MONTH.

If PCZ is willing to match this offer, then bguinto1 will have to put up TWO equivalent
    systems on the Free-DC Anonymous account for ONE MONTH
    IronBits, I accept your revised wager with the following modifications/clarifications:

If I win, you and PCZ must each "donate" a XP1600 system for crunching DF under the Ars-technica Banner for 1 month. Please setup a new account with the following account name: ROADKILL

If I lose, I will put up 2 1.4 Ghz P3 server with 2GB of RAM and crunch DF for Free-DC under the handle 92psu8co for 1 month.

Also the following conditions must be met.

1) I will require at least 9 days from after the next client changeover to begin. If there are any problems with the client updates, it normally takes me at least a week to get my farm up and running again. I've been crunching DF since the Phase 1 days and I always have issues during changeover. Very rarely does more than 5% of my servers update correctly.

2) The next client must be stable. If the client is as unstable as the last changeover, the maintenance time is too high to keep a high number of instances running. Essentially, if the client can't run more than 72hours without user involvement, than I think we should agree that the client is not stable. (I understand that this could be a point of contention, this is also why I'm asking for at least 9 days after the change over, so we can all agree on the stability or lack there of of the client, prior to beginning this gauntlet.) If the client is not stable, then I may leave this project permanently or at the very least not pay attention to it.

3) Gauntlet must run for at least 3 weeks. 4 weeks would be ideal for me. Let me know if you think this is too long or too short.

Let me know what you think.
    Last edited by bguinto1; 08-11-2003 at 06:38 PM.

If the client is not stable, then I may leave this project permanently or at the very least not pay attention to it.
    While some Free-DC'ers might initially applaud this happening, once they thought it through a little bit they would realize that it would:

A.) crush the ARS team - probably leading to the loss of additional ARS crunchers.
    B.) be a terrible blow to the project, and the fact of the matter is, it would be
    C.) a very bad thing to happen... Think about it - nope - not a good thing at all.

Here's hoping the next client is stable and the changeover goes smoothly.....

(Also - my answer to us possibly losing. If the Free-DC team DOES lose the guantlet, I will, personally, bring up another 6 boxen, @ 2400+ minimium, 2 to replace the lost output, 2 to offset the output moved to the opposite side, and an extra 2, just because I will be so pissed.)
    FreeDC Mercenary

bguinto1

I like IB's guantlet (that way no hard feelings between two teams that get along), so go kick some freebie arse.

Also, (I have said this in IRC a few times to pointwood) your dedication to DF has been better then any cruncher Ars and Non-ars. I would hate to see you leave the project but if you do, please join Ars another in battle such as ecc2 at least until the DF client improves. I hate wasted GHZ, and if you do take this route ... I will add my complete work farm which will hopefully move from 85ghz to 100ghz within the next month to DF..... and maybe give you a run for #1.

Crunch On! Looking forward to the guantlet.

This gauntlet sounds fun. I'm looking forward to see you guys go at it.

I'd suggest one minor change to the rules: the winner chooses the ID the looser will crunch under.

Should give just that little extra incentive to win

good luck to all!

Cheers,
    Marc

That's already been decided on. Either the Free-DC anonymous account, or the ARS ROADKILL handle....
    FreeDC Mercenary

Re: Re: The Wager

Very well then!
    I have a few amendments and concerns, but we are very close

1) I need to consult with PCZ and check with my team mates, especially those that do a lot of benchmarks to make sure that an Intel P3 1.4 GHz is capable of the same output as an AMD XP1600 1.4GHz.
    Just to make sure we would receive, what we would give, you understand.

2) 100% agreement on client stability concerns!!!

3) IF the client is stable on Wednesday, 9 days later would put it on the following next week Friday, is that good for you? EST/PST start time?
    Because you will have the most difficulty, I'll let you choose the day and time to start.

4) Gauntlet length - 9 days after next Wednesday + 4 weeks might run us into the next protein release.
    We do not want to run into another protein or client release!

5) Starting Gate I think when the time comes, the THREE of us should be up to a full head of steam by then, so there should be no surprise dumping along the way, or at the end...
    I know that client output is akin to the waves of the Pacific Ocean
    But a steady daily/weekly output will be apparent

6) Master Dyyryath should create the Gauntlet Stats for the 3 of us to watch, but, the official stats should be used as the final word.
    I noticed the *offical* STATS are updated 2 minutes after the hour of every hour.
    The start and finish stats totals for all three of us should be taken 1 minute later.
    Totals taken at the start and finish time, 3 minutes after the hour, will be the official count.
    Or something like that

Comments?
    PCZ, jump in man, it's your skin to
    Question begs to be answered....
    Just how BIG and lazy is this dog? and does it hunt?
    There is no shame in our game, home growns vs commercial - what a compliment!

IronBits, I accept your revised wager with the following modifications/clarifications:

If I win, you and PCZ must each "donate" a XP1600 system for crunching DF under the Ars-technica Banner for 1 month. Please setup a new account with the following account name: ROADKILL

If I lose, I will put up 2 1.4 Ghz P3 server with 2GB of RAM and crunch DF for Free-DC under the handle 92psu8co for 1 month.

Also the following conditions must be met.

1) I will require at least 9 days from after the next client changeover to begin.

2) The next client must be stable.

3) Gauntlet must run for at least 3 weeks. 4 weeks would be ideal for me. Let me know if you think this is too long or too short.

Let me know what you think.

Sounds OK

Let me get things straight.
    There is an update on Wednesday, we wait 9 days to see if its stable.
    We gauntlet for 4 weeks, maybe less if there is a possibility of running into the next
    protein.

So I have time to get the farm up to full speed, its not at its best at the moment.
    Is dumping allowed ?
    Are small dumps acceptable?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast