Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Smack Down

I forgot to mention that the P3 Tutalin with 512k cache is a strong performer
    and in my opinion is as good as the XP1600. This is based on the assumption that the P3 1.4 in question is the S variant and not the celeron or 256k cache non SMP version.

I would think it perfectly OK to have small dumps, after all, sometimes the internet goes down, some boxen may have to work off net, and the client itself sometimes gets constipated.
    That's why I mentioned the daily/weekly rates will show good averages.
    Last thing I want to see is a large surprise dump at the end... from any of us.
    It's one of the reasons why I didn't want the stakes too high.
    Just enough to keep us 'honest'

We may end up eating ROADKILL on this one, but it won't be for lack of trying on my part.
    I want to see ALL three of us with the ALL the CARDS on the table

/me raises right hand and swears.
    I will not give out my handle to anyone, nor will I accept offers of help from anyone.

It will be FUN to see what ALL the boxen I have at my disposal can do when focused on just ONE project for a change
    :sleepy:

:shocked: ALL of 'em?

That might put a crimp in some of the other projects.

Hey - are we certain this isn't just an attempt by ARS to get a jump on us in something other than DF, by having IB pull his boxen out? Better double check ALL the other DC stats to make certain there isn't something sneaky going on here...
    FreeDC Mercenary

You mean you're ahead of us in another project

Cheers,
    Marc

Originally posted by PCZ
    Sounds OK

Let me get things straight.
    There is an update on Wednesday, we wait 9 days to see if its stable.
    We gauntlet for 4 weeks, maybe less if there is a possibility of running into the next
    protein.

So I have time to get the farm up to full speed, its not at its best at the moment.
    Is dumping allowed ?
    Are small dumps acceptable?
    So how many days does it take you to pull 120 GHz out of the closet, dust it off and plug it in anways? <sheesh>

Re: Re: Re: The Wager

Originally posted by IronBits
    Very well then!
    I have a few amendments and concerns, but we are very close

1) I need to consult with PCZ and check with my team mates, especially those that do a lot of benchmarks to make sure that an Intel P3 1.4 GHz is capable of the same output as an AMD XP1600 1.4GHz.
    Just to make sure we would receive, what we would give, you understand.

2) 100% agreement on client stability concerns!!!

3) IF the client is stable on Wednesday, 9 days later would put it on the following next week Friday, is that good for you? EST/PST start time?
    Because you will have the most difficulty, I'll let you choose the day and time to start.

4) Gauntlet length - 9 days after next Wednesday + 4 weeks might run us into the next protein release.
    We do not want to run into another protein or client release!

5) Starting Gate I think when the time comes, the THREE of us should be up to a full head of steam by then, so there should be no surprise dumping along the way, or at the end...
    I know that client output is akin to the waves of the Pacific Ocean
    But a steady daily/weekly output will be apparent

6) Master Dyyryath should create the Gauntlet Stats for the 3 of us to watch, but, the official stats should be used as the final word.
    I noticed the *offical* STATS are updated 2 minutes after the hour of every hour.
    The start and finish stats totals for all three of us should be taken 1 minute later.
    Totals taken at the start and finish time, 3 minutes after the hour, will be the official count.
    Or something like that

Comments?
    PCZ, jump in man, it's your skin to
    Question begs to be answered....
    Just how BIG and lazy is this dog? and does it hunt?
    There is no shame in our game, home growns vs commercial - what a compliment!
    1) It's a P3 with 512K, it should be equivalent, but I'll increase it to 2 2-way 1.2 Ghz P3 Servers. 1 Server for each of you.

2) 3) 4) We'll agree on client stability 7 days after release of client? So the Gauntlet commitment date would be approximately 12:00 noon PST August 20. Let me know if you are both in agreement. Once we all commit there is no backing out, unless of course there are catastophic client or stats difficulties. Once we are in agreement, shall we say that the Gauntlet starts on Friday, Aug 22 12:00 noon PST? And will end in exactly 4 weeks time (Sept. 19 12:00 noon) or 1 day before the next protein/client changeover at 12 noon, which ever comes first?

5) Agreed. As you probably know, it is way too cumbersome to hoard points when there are dozens if not hundreds of instances of the client running. I automatically update so there will be no gigantic dumps from me unless of course the project servers go down. Also, I too promise not to share my handle!

6) Agreed. Major props to Dyyryath if he could lend his most skillful hand.

Good luck to the both of you!
    Last edited by bguinto1; 08-12-2003 at 01:49 AM.

Hardware/production bounty sounds fair

Let's make sure we have this correct...

The Gauntlet commitment date is approximately 12:00 noon PST August 20
    If there are no nays, then it's a go. We might be busy...

If there are NO client woes and all parties agree to take their gloves off...

Gauntlet starts on Friday, Aug 22, 2003 at 12:00 noon PST
    And will end in exactly 4 weeks time on Sept. 19 12:00 noon PST
    or 1 day before the next protein/client change over at 12 noon PST, which ever comes first.

Rumor has it there will be a slight ramp up after the starting gun sounds
    That's ok with me, so long as the majority of it is online by midnight PST of the start date and continues thruout the gauntlet...

Be there or be square! oh, and be sure and bring your cards

Thanks bguinto1
    Tell LemonBoy (lemonsqzz from Sun Microsystems) to watch his back the next time you see him

And it wouldn't be right if I didn't do the obligitory

25/25Mbit is nearly enough :p pointwood's Avatar
    w00t!

This is going to be so cool!
    Pointwood
    Jabber ID: pointwood@jabber.shd.dk
    irc.arstechnica.com, #distributed

Originally posted by rsbriggs
    (Also - my answer to us possibly losing. If the Free-DC team DOES lose the guantlet, I will, personally, bring up another 6 boxen, @ 2400+ minimium, 2 to replace the lost output, 2 to offset the output moved to the opposite side, and an extra 2, just because I will be so pissed.)
    Feel the LOVE

This hobby will make me very poor

Athlon XP 2400+ 2Ghz SoA £50.64 x5 £297.51
    SoA VIA KT266 ATX A L £24.69 x5 £145.05
    AMD/P4 300W Silent 12V ATX PSU £12.50 x5 £73.43

Order Handling Charge 1 £4.70

Total £520.69

Should arrive in a few days

Feel the LOVE

Seems like the "normal" reaction would be to pull out of the project, or turn off the computers, or go somewhere else, or something. But *NO* - I would just go buy more computers...

You and me, both.... oh - you forgot to include the cost of a few sticks of fast RAM for those... (Or are these just replacements for boxen fried by that nice English heatwave taking place?)
    Last edited by rsbriggs; 08-12-2003 at 05:02 AM.
    FreeDC Mercenary

This heatwave should end soon I hope.

I have quite a few sticks of Sdram left over from upgrades.
    The MB's I ordered can take either DDR or Sdram.
    There is probably a performance hit with Sdram but I can live with it.

Originally posted by PCZ

Athlon XP 2400+ 2Ghz SoA £50.64 x5 £297.51
    SoA VIA KT266 ATX A L £24.69 x5 £145.05
    AMD/P4 300W Silent 12V ATX PSU £12.50 x5 £73.43

Order Handling Charge 1 £4.70

Total £520.69

Should arrive in a few days
    :shocked:
    Way to go partner!!!

Free-DC Semi-retire gopher_yarrowzoo's Avatar
    Hmm Sniff yeah I'll try and keep an Eye on Team Ars on Seti, I got a feeling they are gonna do something SNeaky... real Sneaky... hmm
    Other than that All I gotta say is
    GO IB GO IB GO PCZ GO PCZ

(never thought I would be wanting old pink skirted IB to kick ass but hey lol)
    and OUCH at poor
    Semi-retired from Free-DC...
    I have some time to help.....
    I need a new laptop,but who needs a laptop when you have a phone...
    Now to remember my old computer specs..

Originally posted by gopher_yarrowzoo
    (never thought I would be wanting old pink skirted IB to kick ass but hey lol)
    Bwhahaha
    Pointwood

i only want IB to kick ass for this thing then i want to kick his ass (I WISH)

IB

How about we let Beth133 take on the big guy all by himself

Heck ya! Go Beth133
    or Dyyryath or xj10bt for that matter
    If they did that, then you and I could slink off to OGR-25 and go after that Ars team

Just thinking out loud ...

Howard says
    08/13/2003
    - Our new protein is underway, we are now studying the folding of Protein G, soon to be followed by Protein L. These are small, well-characterized proteins
    I'm not sure that this protein, nor the next small protein, would make for good gauntlet material in that, about the time we get started, it will be time for a new protein change.
    Also bguinto1 is having some problems getting the clients to autoupdate, and may hinder his participation...

thoughts? comments?

I think you you're just trying to buy some time
    Pointwood

IB and PCZ, as you can proabably tell from the stats, my clients didn't update again. I'm going to go on vacation now, but I'll be back after the weekend. Looking at the scores, it seems like this client is much faster, so I'm going to try to manual update as many of my servers today, so I don't lose too much ground, but I won't be fully ramped until Wednesday at the earliest.

I am assuming that the gauntlet is still on, despite my bitching that I was going to quit if this changeover didn't happen smoothly.

We are game if you are
    Have a great vacation! You're gonna NEED that rest!

And the other issue - this is appearing to be a very fast protein, and the next one should be just as fast.

Is is even going to be possible to start a week from now and still have 3-4 weeks before the next change-over? Looks to me like we've completed nearly 14% of it already, in less than 24 hours.

Have a good vacation - looks like we'll be bringing up more GigaHurtz (tm) while you're gone, but hey, don't worry about it - just relax....
    FreeDC Mercenary

What he said, by the time we take the gloves off, the bell will sound and a new protein that's just as fast will get released. Me may need to postpone until we get a SLOW one or something
    And because this is a 1 sided 'tag team' match, I vote we have A99 in our corner!

And who knows when the Hospital research network (and East coast in general) are going to be back up.....
    FreeDC Mercenary

What he said, by the time we take the gloves off, the bell will sound and a new protein that's just as fast will get released. Me may need to postpone until we get a SLOW one or something
    And because this is a 1 sided 'tag team' match, I vote we have A99 in our corner!
    At the very least A99 should be the ring announcer

I am somehow just now getting the impression that the last post was one of a few things

1. offensive

2. uncalled for

3. out of line

4. beyond the boundary of humor

or all of the above

no one posted after it so I think I got the hint

I will refrain from further outbursts of that kind of humor and will remove it

my apologies
    Entry: lunatic
    Function: adjective
    Definition: crazy
    Synonyms: absurd, baked, balmy, bananas, batty, bonkers, cracked, crazed, daft, demented, deranged, dippy, flaky, flipped out, foolish, freaked out, gone ape, idiotic, insane, irrational, kooky, loco, loony, mad, maniac, maniacal, nonsensical, nuts, nutty, preposterous, psyched out, psycho, psychotic, schizoid, screwy, stupid, unhinged, unsound, wacky, whacko, zany
    Concept: health (poor)

Now you're REALLY trying to be funny. I was having a ball reading that stuff. This forum is "trash talk" after all, not "polite witticisms."

Cmon cmon cmon, paste it back, puhleeze?

Even if you don't paste it back,

don't go changin' . . .
    to try and please me . . .

or else we'll have to call you

"Slightly irrationally exuberant 99"

Good Lord, I hope not!

Must be the new meds.

I dont know tim, I think maybe I walked the line a little too close with that one

but I suppose if I had gone too far the powers that be would have let me know, so here it is again and we,ll see if it goes over better this time
    Synonyms: absurd, baked, balmy, bananas, batty, bonkers, cracked, crazed, daft, demented, deranged, dippy, flaky, flipped out, foolish, freaked out, gone ape, idiotic, insane, irrational, kooky, loco, loony, mad, maniac, maniacal, nonsensical, nuts, nutty, preposterous, psyched out, psycho, psychotic, schizoid, screwy, stupid, unhinged, unsound, wacky, whacko, zany

hello everyone and welcome to "SMACKDOWN ARENA" I am A99 and I will be hosting and giving the play by play or should I say "SMACK by SMACK" commentary from ringside along with my multiple personalities and long time psychotic imaginary friend "bone saw"

we are here at the beautiful "SMACKDOWN ARENA" in whoop-ass county Arkansas awaiting the arrival of our contestants for what is touted as the beat down of the millennium.

personality #1: yes this promises to be as exciting if not more than the gun touting kindergarten teacher who held the pudding factory workers hostage for dang near an hour A99.

bone saw: lets crack some skulls

A99: yes we hope to see some amazing feat's of carnage and mob like justice here at this wonderful new arena built specifically for capitol punishment but now renovated for family fun and amusement.

personality #2: I have to pee

bone saw: lets punch a nun and get on with it

A99: stay tuned folks this only gets better, and now a message from our sponsor.

sponsor: do you have an unruly child, or an elderly parent who just doesn't listen. well there is help, we at beatdown industries would like to introduce our newest product for administering discipline

the "frontal lobotomizer" made from treated and hardened southern pine its just the thing for restoring order and making things right again. so when you aren't getting your point across with common sense and hooked on phonics isn't giving you the results you need then one little tap with "frontal lobotomizer" at the base of the skull and your worries are over. so get some sleep tonight in peace and quiet crack some skulls and make it right again with the "frontal lobotomizer".

disclaimer: may not be suitable for children 21 or older, don't use in anger or while under the influence of drugs or alcohol, do not use if you are under the care of a physician treating you with psychotropic drugs, may cause brain damage.

stay tuned for more exciting coverage of "SMACKDOWN ARENA"

Ahhhhh . . . beautiful.

I sit back and flop my belly over my belt. My recommended daily allowance of humor has been satisfied. I've just finished a steak dinner of humor. And if you are a humor vegetarian, please don't bother the rest of us while we're enjoying what life has to offer. Belch. Pardon me.

And I am really looking forward to A99's ringside commentary. I've read here on the boards about legendary gauntlets and challenges, and I've never seen one first hand. Perhaps A99's commentary will be instructive as well, both for those who've never seen a gauntlet and for those who don't know about folding proteins.

So back to the matter at hand. I want all the blow by blow, the starting gun, the finish line, the whole kittencaboodle. This is going to be a hoot! And back into the woodwork quietly I go.

Free-DC Semi-retire gopher_yarrowzoo's Avatar
    Can ya Smell what A99 is Coooookkkkiiing?
    Hmm Smells like someone's Boxen (now your only meant to Slow roast them A99) do it slowly so the opposition don't notice
    Oh And keep up the Good Work

IB & PCZ the opposition
    Semi-retired from Free-DC...
    I have some time to help.....
    I need a new laptop,but who needs a laptop when you have a phone...
    Now to remember my old computer specs..

IB and PCZ, I agree we should postpone our little gauntlet until the client is slower.

hello ladies and gentlemen and welcome back to "SMACKDOWN ARENA"

we have all been eagerly awaiting some news from our contestants prospective camps and have sent our locker room reporter bonesaw down to the locker room to find out just what is happening, bonesaw

bonesaw: well it looks like we have a couple of worried mothers down here

A99: worried mothers?

bonesaw: ya they must be looking for there crying little girls cause there aren't any fighters down here

personality 2: now lets be nice bonesaw, I still have to pee

bonesaw: shut-up or Ill snap off your head and use the goo as sweet and sour sauce on your baby back ribs geek

personality 1: this just in the gun toting kindergarten teacher has let one of the pudding factory workers go in exchange for an autographed copy of charles Manson's new novel "how to kill a village"

A99 : any reports on when we will start to see some smackdown action bonesaw

bonesaw: last we heard both sides were leaving the arena one manager said that his boy heard his mom calling and the other had to be home before the street lights came on

A99: street lights WTF and heard his mom calling what in the h*^% is going on

A99: well folks it looks like as a back up we are going to be treated to "petula bowbricker" the daughter of porky's "bula bula bowbricker", mud wrestling a local elementary school lunch lady tag team the "Salisbury sisters"

personality 2: I just wet myself

bonesaw: I warned you twerp

personality 2: let go of my skull

A99: we will try to get some more info on the disappointing "runaway and hide" tactics that has turned this "SMACKDOWN" into a "FALLDOWN" and cry

stay tuned for tonights prime-time investigative report "interview with a man who has exclusive video of david copperfield locking his keys in his car"
    Last edited by Anarchy99; 08-19-2003 at 03:02 AM.

I too am disappointed. I think I understand the reason, though, that they want a consistent task during the contest.

[whining section] but I wanted the epic battle! I wanted the blow by blow commentary! I hate delayed gratification. I want it all, and I want it now! [end whining section]

I look forward to a slower client and a renewed gauntlet. And the insightful commentary.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12