Thread: Anybody out there??

Anybody out there??

Anyone?

ETA on the update?

25/25Mbit is nearly enough :p pointwood's Avatar
    Just tried to start a client (it was stopped on purpose) and got this:
    Code:
    ========================[ Aug 13, 2003 10:02 PM ]========================
    ERROR: [000.000] {ncbi_socket.c, line 1173} [SOCK::s_Connect]  Failed SOCK_gethostbyname(ftp.mshri.on.ca)
    ERROR: [000.000] {ncbi_connutil.c, line 801} [URL_Connect]  Socket connect to ftp.mshri.on.ca:80 failed: Unknown
    ERROR: [000.000] {ncbi_socket.c, line 1258} [SOCK::s_Connect]  Failed pending connect to ftp.mshri.on.ca:80 (Unknown) {errno=No such file or directory}
    ERROR: [000.000] {ncbi_connutil.c, line 801} [URL_Connect]  Socket connect to ftp.mshri.on.ca:80 failed: Unknown
    ERROR: [000.000] {ncbi_socket.c, line 1258} [SOCK::s_Connect]  Failed pending connect to ftp.mshri.on.ca:80 (Unknown) {errno=No such file or directory}
    ERROR: [000.000] {ncbi_http_connector.c, line 101} [HTTP]  Too many failed attempts, giving up
    ERROR: [000.000] {foldtrajlite2.c, line 2092} Unable to check update file length
    ERROR: [000.000] {foldtrajlite2.c, line 2439} Unable to retrieve update file list
    /me points at bittorrent
    Pointwood
    Jabber ID: pointwood@jabber.shd.dk
    irc.arstechnica.com, #distributed

i got a copy through ftp

protein size = 56

WAG == fast
    Use the right tool for the right job!

Ditto FoBoT!
    I was able to upload all the work that was cached during the outage to, so back to business as usual.
    :sleepy:
    /me hopes the autoupdate feature works well for the rest of the pharm and others.

pointwood - You may get that due to the server being busy.

My first tests, show it slower and not faster.

Anyone else?

25/25Mbit is nearly enough :p pointwood's Avatar
    That's why I hinted at bittorrent
    Pointwood
    Jabber ID: pointwood@jabber.shd.dk
    irc.arstechnica.com, #distributed

Is there no mirror outside to get this fu.... client?

Unfortunately the few mirrors that have been available to us in the past were not up for us to use for this update. We did not receive prior notice, and so did not look for backup mirrors.

If any of you DO have facilities that will enable you to mirror for us, please do contact us at trades@mshri.on.ca. We are always happy to get more bandwidth
    Elena Garderman

i need the new client and cannot get it
    grrrr!
    i want to get crunching again.
    Driving home the sky accelerates and the clouds all form a geometric shape.

Originally posted by gistech1978
    i need the new client and cannot get it
    grrrr!
    i want to get crunching again.
    Who doesn't?

I did at one point manage to download the whole thing, but I think the file was not written properly, or was missing a few bits of data... it did not un-tar properly.
    Derek

Or just do what I do. I have one machine at home that runs the Update Daemon. When Update day comes around I turn it on the night before and wait until all the clients have gotten their copy upgraded which is usually WAY before I get home the next day.

Than I turn it off until the next update. You could also do what I do as well and make it available to a couple of friends /teammates to download from you as well if you can afford the bandwidth. That's what I've done with my team and it works

Just don't forget to turn the thing off cause it generates huge logs (Last time I left it on for about 3 days and the client itself created an 83MB error log ..... )

Hi!

I just wanted to say, that when I came home tonight, both my win XP boxen had auto-updated just fine and were both crunching away on the new protein (which is FAAAST btw. On my P4 3GHz is has blasted through the first 20 generation in less than 2 minutes pr. generation).
    Should have completed the first set of 250 when I get up tomorrow

Regards
    Ole

Question

Er. when trying a manual update I still get: "MAIN SERVER IS DOWN FOR PROTEIN CHANGEOVER"
    Is it just me or is the server really still swamped with requests?
    Jérôme
    edit: OK, downloaded the client manually and everything is fine now, dunno what went wrong with the automatic update.
    Last edited by jlandgr; 08-14-2003 at 04:22 AM.

I have 7 boxen on the same ADSL line. They updated one at a time as each finished an old gen.
    I've heard that other people's boxen tried to update all at the same time. This is when the errors happen.
    A manual download of the new client does work fine.

And yes, these new gens (56 I'll call them) work fast, very fast!

I'm very happy with this update unlike the last one.
    Folding 24/7 for a cause
    www.hardCOREware.net
    HCW DF Team!

Originally posted by ^7_of_9

Just don't forget to turn the thing off cause it generates huge logs (Last time I left it on for about 3 days and the client itself created an 83MB error log ..... )
    Yep, Ive noticed that recently too... fixing that is on my things-to-do list so check for a new daemon soon...
    Howard Feldman