Thread: Would this optimise the client running as a service

Lightbulb Would this optimise the client running as a service

I have just installed the client on our family machine as a service (so as to avoid confusing anyone else who uses it).

Would I be right in predicting that the pc will do more folding straight after a reboot, (while left running ) still at the logon screen, than it would after it has logged on?

I'm assuming there are less processes/memory being used when the pc is at the logon screen.

The pc is running Win2K

P.S. if anyone knows how much memory a pc uses at the logon screen please let me know also (the pc has 128MB Ram, and so am wondering if i could geta way with the "use extra ram" option)

Re: Would this optimise the client running as a service

Originally posted by jonnyw
    Would I be right in predicting that the pc will do more folding straight after a reboot, (while left running ) still at the logon screen, than it would after it has logged on?
    It should be a little faster since nothing else is requiring CPU-cycles when you're at the logon screen, but it's probably not that much.

P.S. if anyone knows how much memory a pc uses at the logon screen please let me know also (the pc has 128MB Ram, and so am wondering if i could geta way with the "use extra ram" option)
    If you only have 128MB RAM I would advice against using the "extra RAM" option. It will slow down the PC quite noticably. I have tried it on a pc running Windows NT which requires less RAM than w2k and it was not a pretty sight. Maybe set it to use less RAM in the daytime when people need to log on and use the pc and set it to use extra ram overnight?

Regards
    Ole

so when it is running as a dedicated folding machine it should be ok using extra ram (my family is away at the moment)

or if you have 128 MB of spare ram in the machine. For example I have machines with 512 MB of ram in them. I run extra ram and no on is the wiser. even with everything loaded and running full bore I still have 150-250 MB of free physical ram for OS to use for "normal" stuff.

so when it is running as a dedicated folding machine it should be ok using extra ram (my family is away at the moment)
    It should be okay with this protein if no one is using it. If someone was using it it would be slow for them and it would slow folding down probably more than not running the -rt switch.

There are proteins that are big enough to take 120+MBs of RAM, in that case you would be better off not running -rt.

RAM for old machines is pretty cheap.