Thread: Power Outage and DF Servers

Power Outage and DF Servers

Hi All.

It is 5:45am in Toronto, and the lights are mostly back on here, but not in many other places.

Thanks for your continued patience with us as we get our servers sorted out, our hard drives checked for integrity and the whole thing turned back on.

If you want to find out what happened, check the news feeds, but we were taken down by the blackout sweeping across the northeast US and Canada. Noone really knows why yet, but it is probably an electrical grid failure.

We will post to this thread on our progress at getting the system back on-line. In the meanwhile I suggest.

1) Reset your configuratinons to buffer work (see the readme.txt file).

2) Monitor this thread for an "all's clear" message then set it back on to upload.

It will take us some time, but I will make sure that we post a status report on this thread by at least noon today if we aren't back up by then.

Christopher Hogue (aka Howard's boss...)
    Samuel Lunenfeld Research Institute
    Mount Sinai Hospital
    Assistant Professor, Dept. of Biochemistry, University of Toronto

Thanks for the feedback boss We'll be patient

In the meanwhile (as a lot of people or going to read this thread). Is there anybody who has a mirror to the newest client?
    Proud member of the Dutch Power Cows

Temp upload site for new client

In response to [DPC]Mobster, I've stuck the latest client onto my ISP webspace until the official server comes back online. Download from here. If the link no longer works, try the official server site - I'm gonna remove the file once the download server is running again
    Shocked....

Downloading...

Cheers mate

No worries Mobster, my team The Rebels Haven are only 15 million behind DPC and closing fast, and it would be unsportsmanlike not to give you a fighting chance to stay ahead of us for a few days longer
    Shocked....

You are the MAN Shocked!

Thanks,

pharmd24

Hi.

Does anyone here have the latest Linux version of the client available for download?

Thanks in advance.

Originally posted by Shocked Pants
    No worries Mobster, my team The Rebels Haven are only 15 million behind DPC and closing fast, and it would be unsportsmanlike not to give you a fighting chance to stay ahead of us for a few days longer
    LOL. At the moment we're holding a stampede at ECC2. When August ends a lot of us will come back to DFolding and reclaim our fifth place we held in the beginning of Phase II
    (or at least die, trying )

Blog Entries
    Originally posted by Hermes
    Hi.

Does anyone here have the latest Linux version of the client available for download?

Thanks in advance.
    I'm currently uploading one of the two linux-clients. When my ftp-client has finished I'll edit that post providing the link. That should be within half an hour...
    the-mk

Here is the ICC Linux version, for the time being...

Linux ICC Version

Blog Entries
    Early enough I found out, that my gcc-version wasn't working, errors occoured while opening... so I wanted to upload the icc-version, but now I see that someone did that faster than I could

Sorry, can't provide a gcc-version
    the-mk

Update

Hi Folks,

As some of you have noticed, the web site is up.

Downtown Toronto is with power, no brownouts, since midnight last night. We have turned on the servers and they all appear to be working OK.

When we lost power the database machine should have been tripped to shut down via our UPS. It appears to have done so successfully.

The only problem we are having is that it is still a power outage where Howard lives, and he can't commute downtown via the subway. Nonetheless my system admin staff seems to have recovered nicely. We are going to do some testing over the next hour to check downloads.

Without Howard's final OK, I am leery about the database integrity. Here's what you can do to help.

1) Continue to buffer your downloads.

2) Check your stats on our system by logging in to the High-Flyers site. If you encounter anything strange (like your login not working) post it here.

3) Smoke 'em if you got 'em.

If we have any major problems reported I will get in my truck, drive to Howard and drag him downtown to fix it, but cross your fingers, I think we may have this under control.

BTW, in case you didn't know the back-end of DF is an 8-way 440MHz HP N9000 running HP-UX11, a machine that doesn't particularly like being power cycled much. It is much better since we removed the flaky HP RAID system before we launched Phase II.

Christopher Hogue

Re: Update

Originally posted by FEEDB0B0

2) Check your stats on our system by logging in to the High-Flyers site. If you encounter anything strange (like your login not working) post it here.
    Hello,
    first: congrats on getting the servers back up
    As for High-Flyers:
    I get an error trying to log in:
    "Error

Unable to Initialize Databases.

If the problem appears to be server related, contact the administrator for this site trades@mshri.on.ca "
    This occurs after a certain timeout (maybe a minute or two) when trying to log in.
    Jérôme

Login works fine for me with no problems.....

Hi All

I tested 3 buffered generations. I was able to login before the upload and report a contribution of 29,566 .

I set a machine I had running since Thurs offline - to upload with foldit.bat to "-u t", and performed a test upload. This succeeded BUT only after restarting after 3 timeouts.

I logged back on to the database and it reported a contribution of 29,736 for my uploaded data.

It appears to work BUT it is congested. The error reported above is consistent with a general timeout due to congestion. I suspect clients are already uploading.

Upload cautiously, but it appears to be OK.

Hopefully we won't be getting further power outages, but we seem to be recovered from this one.

Christopher Hogue

I tried to login using my handle:

If the problem appears to be server related, contact the administrator for this site trades@mshri.on.ca

then I tried it using my e-mail address and me was in

(after that I tried it again with my handle and the same error as above showed up)
    DPC rocks

I just logged in sucessfully.
    A member of TSF http://teamstirfry.net/

TyOI

can login successfully to the High Flyers section everything all be it slow seems to be working OK

tried sending in some work units but could not get access to the server - will try again later

regards
    Tom

I just logged in OK.
    It is just slow as expected.

Well, I'm back in the light now Looks like the database and servers are all working OK, though the database is somewhat swamped with uploads (using all 8 of those powerful 440MHz processors)
    Anyhow please be patient and the uploads should get through, try staggering your uploads or wait a day or two and things should be 'normal' again.
    Howard Feldman

Use the right tool for the right job!

I'm getting:

"Error

If the problem appears to be server related, contact the administrator for this site trades@mshri.on.ca"

(With my cached password)
    [edit]
    Never mind, probably the server too busy,
    it's workng now
    Last edited by MrMr; 08-15-2003 at 06:15 PM.