Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Future of Free-DC stats

We started a Help FreeDC thead over at TPU

http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/sh...11&postcount=1

Should help you get closer to your goal

I'm using sort of the same setup to run the stats on BOINCstats. I have an update server that runs all the stat updates, which are then copied to two webservers (which hold their own copy of the stats in addition to the BAM! and forum databases which are master-master MySQL replication). Changed tables are copied every 30 minutes. The OS is installed on normal SATA drives, the databases run off Intel SSD's. The webservers also have a separate drive for cache which is also normal SATA. These were the only ones to break down so far. These servers now have a running time of two years. I think the major difference with you is that I use four SSD's in RAID 10 on the webservers and 8 SSD's for 2x RAID 10 on the database server. That way the wear on the SSD's is much less.

At work our read MySQL server also uses 8 Intel SSD's in RAID 10 for the database. This server is really battered but has been running without loosing a single drive for two years.

That's for some perspective.

I also have an offer to make, but since I'm in the Netherlands and you are in the US, it's not free. I have a complete 3U server gathering dust and I don't have any use for it for the foreseeable future. It has two Intel XEON's with two cores each, hardware RAID SCSI card (the old kind, not SAS), plenty of drives and even two spare SCSI drives. It only has 12GB of RAM and one of the modules is broken (the reason BOINCstats went of the NET for a couple of hours two years ago). Your costs would be adding RAM and the shipment cost, which won't be cheap (that thing almost breaks my back when lifting it). Can't give an exact number but I guestimate at least $200. This server was paid for by donations of the BOINC community so can't think of a better new home for it than another stats site. Let me know what you think.

On a lighter and sillier note, and in recognition (oh there's another one) of all your recent hard work, I would like to propose some new MegaMilestones for you to consider. How about:-

OutOfTheBoks - 1K
    QuarterBok - 25K
    GoodBok - 500K
    BokOff - 10 MIllion
    BokkerMe - 1 Billion
    RoundTheBok - however many cobblestones you (Bok) have at the precise moment it is created. This would confuse people no end! Very nice and obscure.
    JennyfromtheBok - maybe I have gone a bit tto far here ;-)
    Reboknition - Number of years active Boinc service.

I feel sure there are many others.
    Go on - once you have recovered and got your life back and have a spare hour or two ;-)
    Thanks for all your tremendous work Bok, the site is brilliant, and I totally agree that Boinc would suffer badly if it had gone down permanently.

Wake Forest, North Carolina, United States
    Blog Entries
    Hi Willy,

I appreciate the offer. I think it would just be too expensive to ship that beast though. If I was putting it into a rack in a datacenter, I would certainly consider it

I think the new way I'm doing it is going to work and seems to be a LOT less wear and tear on the drives. It's got built in redundancy and the aim will be to build a second duplicate database server and run in parallel.

Just waiting on Gopher as he is on west coast before switching the stats on. He has finally figured out the 'slowness' on the site which was due to the dynamic resizing, though the recode of it is causing some issues with the placement of some of the divs, but I'm sure he'll get that fixed over the next few days.

Quote Originally Posted by Willy View Post
    I'm using sort of the same setup to run the stats on BOINCstats. I have an update server that runs all the stat updates, which are then copied to two webservers (which hold their own copy of the stats in addition to the BAM! and forum databases which are master-master MySQL replication). Changed tables are copied every 30 minutes. The OS is installed on normal SATA drives, the databases run off Intel SSD's. The webservers also have a separate drive for cache which is also normal SATA. These were the only ones to break down so far. These servers now have a running time of two years. I think the major difference with you is that I use four SSD's in RAID 10 on the webservers and 8 SSD's for 2x RAID 10 on the database server. That way the wear on the SSD's is much less.

At work our read MySQL server also uses 8 Intel SSD's in RAID 10 for the database. This server is really battered but has been running without loosing a single drive for two years.

That's for some perspective.

I also have an offer to make, but since I'm in the Netherlands and you are in the US, it's not free. I have a complete 3U server gathering dust and I don't have any use for it for the foreseeable future. It has two Intel XEON's with two cores each, hardware RAID SCSI card (the old kind, not SAS), plenty of drives and even two spare SCSI drives. It only has 12GB of RAM and one of the modules is broken (the reason BOINCstats went of the NET for a couple of hours two years ago). Your costs would be adding RAM and the shipment cost, which won't be cheap (that thing almost breaks my back when lifting it). Can't give an exact number but I guestimate at least $200. This server was paid for by donations of the BOINC community so can't think of a better new home for it than another stats site. Let me know what you think.

Blog Entries
    I'm always interested in new MM's to create

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRBright View Post
    On a lighter and sillier note, and in recognition (oh there's another one) of all your recent hard work, I would like to propose some new MegaMilestones for you to consider. How about:-

OutOfTheBoks - 1K
    QuarterBok - 25K
    GoodBok - 500K
    BokOff - 10 MIllion
    BokkerMe - 1 Billion
    RoundTheBok - however many cobblestones you (Bok) have at the precise moment it is created. This would confuse people no end! Very nice and obscure.

Go on - once you have recovered and got your life back and have a spare hour or two ;-)
    Thanks for all your tremendous work Bok, the site is brilliant, and I totally agree that Boinc would suffer badly if it had gone down permanently.

Quote Originally Posted by OldChap View Post
    Sure is a key component for so many of us using BOINC
    OldChap is right on that point! "Key component" is the perfect description. Whenever I change projects, I check my stats several times a day, tuning various systems (a couple of which are borged) until I'm satisfied it's all running right. Checking your stats is the ONLY way to know if you're getting it right.

And there just aren't any stats pages that compare with Free-DC's. Started by Dyyryath and IronBits, continued by Bok, gopher_yarrowzoo and a whole slew of others (sorry if I skipped some important names - memory not what it was), it's just the best stats page around. Many Thanks to all who contribute to make it as good as it is, including those who contribute financially.

-Les (Paratima)
    HOME: A physical construct for keeping rain off your computers.

Your SSD drive is most likely failing due to heat issues. Find a way to provide better air circulation or other method for cooling. Also I would think it to be more proficient to allow the hardware to maintain any redundancy ie. drive mirroring as opposed to application/script. Also you may benefit from changing the cluster size on your SSD.
    Those are the first things which came to mind. Good luck with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Matt View Post
    Now while my expertise in database is restricted to the fact I know they exist and are run on computers...

I'd just like to say thank you, Bok. BOINCing is half the fun without Free-DC and knowing what my rigs are doing. Please don't give up and while it looks like you found one or more better solutions for hassle-free running, please don't hesitate to ask us for donations. On many other places I have become sceptical about use of donations, but Free-DC always is a no-brainer to me as I know how hard you are working on that.

Thank you so much, Bok.
    Well said, Mad Matt. I'll second that.

Blog Entries
    Switched them back on. Fingers crossed...

I've collected $450 in donations (very much appreciated!) which will go towards a standby DB server (i7 class with 32Gb Ram, plus 3 120Gb SSD's) when I have enough.

There are still a few things to fix up, but if you see anything feel free to post about it. I'll start up a new thread for that in this same forum.

Free-DC Semi-retire gopher_yarrowzoo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff17 View Post
    Hmm I think this must be a typo. Not being a coffee drinker I am basing this on observational data but I am fairly certain that coffee and once can never go together.
    Jeff, well observed I was just making sure it was included - the function itself is called multiple times...

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRBright View Post

OutOfTheBoks - 1K
    QuarterBok - 25K
    GoodBok - 500K
    BokOff - 10 MIllion
    BokkerMe - 1 Billion

Hmm You've given Bok a few to think on...

Quote Originally Posted by Paratima View Post
    OldChap is right on that point! "Key component" is the perfect description. Whenever I change projects, I check my stats several times a day, tuning various systems (a couple of which are borged) until I'm satisfied it's all running right. Checking your stats is the ONLY way to know if you're getting it right.

And there just aren't any stats pages that compare with Free-DC's. Started by Dyyryath and IronBits, continued by Bok, gopher_yarrowzoo and a whole slew of others (sorry if I skipped some important names - memory not what it was), it's just the best stats page around. Many Thanks to all who contribute to make it as good as it is, including those who contribute financially.

-Les (Paratima)
    Dang The Old Timers are coming out now, Long Time Para - You forgot 1 name I'll add it AMDave from Team AMD, they let us borrow him, they love our stats too

Ok where's the bug squisher thingbob need to go do some pro-active squishin'...
    Semi-retired from Free-DC...
    I have some time to help.....
    I need a new laptop,but who needs a laptop when you have a phone...
    Now to remember my old computer specs..

"pro-active squishin' " done.
    I think gopher needs a new pair of shoes now
    ha ha ha
    great werk today with goph & Bok. She's lookin' good.
    . . . . . ___
    . . . . . . .\___/\______
    . . . . . . . \__AMD___\\__
    -----------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by gopher_yarrowzoo View Post
    Dang The Old Timers are coming out now, Long Time Para - You forgot 1 name I'll add it AMDave from Team AMD, they let us borrow him, they love our stats too
    Very cool! Here's to AMDave as well as all the others. Old Timers, huh? Well, yeah, OK. Still cranking 'em out for Free-DC as best I can - just switched from Eon to Poem.
    Thanks for all your work, gopher!
    HOME: A physical construct for keeping rain off your computers.

Free-DC Semi-retire gopher_yarrowzoo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Paratima View Post
    Very cool! Here's to AMDave as well as all the others. Old Timers, huh? Well, yeah, OK. Still cranking 'em out for Free-DC as best I can - just switched from Eon to Poem.
    Thanks for all your work, gopher!
    Thanks - working on other stuff too now....
    Semi-retired from Free-DC...
    I have some time to help.....
    I need a new laptop,but who needs a laptop when you have a phone...
    Now to remember my old computer specs..

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12