Thread: Team CPID issues

Somewhere in the vast depths of Adelaide, South Australia.

Team CPID issues

Hi, I'm Sellyme, the co-owner of the Brony@Home Distributed Computing team. Roughly a year ago, when Brony@Home was exclusively a Folding@Home team, the mylittlepony subreddit held a charity competition against r/thelastairbender. One part of this charity competition was on World Community Grid.

(We won convincingly. Just saying.)

Anyway, a while after this happened, Brony@Home had expanded beyond Folding@Home, to have teams on Majestic-12, DIMES, SETI@Home, PrimeGrid, and a handful of other BOINC projects. Due to the success of the r/mylittlepony WCG team, and the involvement of many Brony@Home members with it during and after that competition, I talked with the owner of the WCG team, RainbowCrash, about a merger. We sorted everything out and made an agreement that the pre-existing pony WCG team would become an official part of Brony@Home, as part of Brony@Home's extension into other DC projects.

However, this presented an unfortunate difficulty: in the time before this merger happened, someone (Sunmist2) had unintentionally created their own WCG team called "Brony@Home". That is the team that is currently listed under the Brony@Home CPID statistics, when it is not actually part of Brony@Home, and our actual WCG team is listed as completely separate.

I have tried to contact Sunmist2 in an attempt to help rectify this, but he/she seems completely uncontactable, and the WCG staff were incredibly unhelpful when trying to sort this out.

I was wondering if there was any way that this could be fixed, either methods to make BOINC change the CPID of the WCG team, or for Bok to manually force Free-DC to "merge" the CPIDs.

For reference:
    Brony@Home main CPID: 45e2079cde336a24f72956df801bd618 (this is the CPU the "fake" WCG team has)
    Brony@Home official WCG team CPID: bb3e96ac93f4d8a5923fdcfb437d9570

TL;DR: How can I make the second CPID change to the first one, and if I can't, can the stats manually be changed so that they check the second CPID instead of the first one for the first CPID's WCG stats?

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: Also, mostly unrelated, but I joined the Free-DC IRC as linked by the "Chat" thingamabob in the navbar on the stats pages, but there was only one other person in it. The server appears to be more or less completely dead, too, with about 8 public channels showing up in the /list. Is there an active IRC channel on another server or is that the actual IRC, and just really inactive?

Wake Forest, North Carolina, United States
    Blog Entries
    For teams it just groups them by the team name which comes from the xml generated by each project - teams don't have CPID's as such, though some other sites generated them as hashes of the team name - I don;t really see the point of that and just use the team name to group.

I only see one team named Brony@Home in the WCG team list - http://stats.free-dc.org/stats.php?p...wcg&team=29322 which is the other one you are referring to, so what is the name of your team at WCG ? mylittlepony ?

Unfortunately there isn't a great deal I can do given the data is coming from the WCG site itself. It would definitely be better if you can get in touch with this other team and try to sort it out, I could try and help with that.

This Sunmist2 doesn't seem to be crunching much at all, perhaps you could join that team at WCG and try to do a founder transfer ? Then you could rename the team.

It's certainly a sticky situation and I might consider posting it on one of the BOINC mailing lists and see what some of the developers have to say about it.

Bok

Somewhere in the vast depths of Adelaide, South Australia.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bok View Post
    I only see one team named Brony@Home in the WCG team list - http://stats.free-dc.org/stats.php?p...wcg&team=29322 which is the other one you are referring to, so what is the name of your team at WCG ? mylittlepony ?
    It is currently named "My Little Pony - Friendship is Magic [Brony@Home]", because we were unable to renamed it to "Brony@Home".

Unfortunately there isn't a great deal I can do given the data is coming from the WCG site itself. It would definitely be better if you can get in touch with this other team and try to sort it out, I could try and help with that.
    I've tried to get in touch with Sunmist2 via every account and service on the internet where that username is registered, and I'm yet to receive a response :/

This Sunmist2 doesn't seem to be crunching much at all, perhaps you could join that team at WCG and try to do a founder transfer ? Then you could rename the team.
    I asked the WCG staff if they'd be able to manually rename/delete that team (seeing as it's a good-faith mistake and all of the members on it would clearly rather be crunching for the actual team if they knew about it), but they refused.

It's certainly a sticky situation and I might consider posting it on one of the BOINC mailing lists and see what some of the developers have to say about it.

Bok
    Could you link me to where you'd think I'd be likely to get the most help with this? I don't really know of any central BOINC forums or services.

Wake Forest, North Carolina, United States
    Blog Entries
    http://boinc.berkeley.edu/email_lists.php

try joining and posting to one of these lists.