Thread: How do you change the location of temp files?

How do you change the location of temp files?

I'm running Distributed Folding on an NT 4.0 based PC. The application resides on the second partition which is 33 GB in size.

I installed it there because the primary partition has only 500 MB of free space and this can come down to almost nothing when large print job gets spooled on it.

I received the following error message yesterday:
    ERROR: [010.000] {trajtools.c, line 2022} Could not open/create data file C:\TEMP\3058_0473_329
    FATAL ERROR: [010.000] {trajtools.c, line 2024} Unable to continue
    It seems that despite installing to the second partition, the temp files are still written to the primary partition resulting in write errors when there was insufficeint space.

Is there a way of setting out the temp directory to be used? If not I will have to stop using this PC for Distributed Folding
    Crunching for OCAU

I think you can use either the TMP, TEMP, or DFTEMP environment variables.

What I'm not sure is which of them get honored in the Windows client... DFTEMP might only be for the *nix clients. But it'd be worth a shot anyway.

Shut down DF, set whichever environment variable you want to test, delete everything out of the old temp directory, start the client up, and look in both the old temp directory and in the new one to see which one has new files created. That should let you know which env. var. it honors.

Make a directory on D: called \TEMP (D:\TEMP)
    Put the following two lines at the beginning of the foldit.bat
    before the START: label
    set TMP=D:\TEMP
    set TEMP=D:\TEMP
    Now everytime your client starts, it will use D:\TEMP as it's swap file location.

Thanks for the help.

I've changed the foldit.bat file and will restart DF.
    Crunching for OCAU