Thread: Using Multiple Computers

Using Multiple Computers

I have just been givin the opportunity to use about 10 computers at my disposal. I know the directions and rules are all in the readme1st file, but i would like somebody to document exactly how to do everything and in what order to do them in SIMPLE, easy steps. btw i already have a handle, ive been computing at my pc for a while.

anybody going to help?

Re: Using Multiple Computers

Originally posted by andyman925
    I have just been givin the opportunity to use about 10 computers at my disposal. I know the directions and rules are all in the readme1st file, but i would like somebody to document exactly how to do everything and in what order to do them in SIMPLE, easy steps. btw i already have a handle, ive been computing at my pc for a while.

anybody going to help?
    Why the info is primarily geared towards individual installs, you might want to check out out Team Stir Fry's getting started guide (ignore the part about joining Team Stir Fry unless you actually want to do so.) We also have an FAQ on our team's homepage which answers a variety of questions.
    Last edited by Aegion; 08-25-2003 at 05:10 PM.
    A member of TSF http://teamstirfry.net/

(1) Untar (or unzip, if you have the unfortunate "pleasure" of having to use Windows... ) the client download somewhere. Doesn't matter where.

(2) Run the foldit script (foldit.bat on Windows) from that directory.

(3) Go through all the questions that it asks, and make sure you get your handle right.

(4) Re-tar (or re-zip) that directory after you're done, because it's now in a state where it'll be immediately usable.

(5) Copy the new tarball (or zip file) to all 10 machines. Untar (or unzip) it on each of them.

(6) Run the foldit script (or foldit.bat) on each of them.

That's about it. Much of this can be automated, actually, if your 10 machines are in something like a Beowulf cluster, but I doubt that they are. Steps 1-4 only ever have to be done once; you can reuse the tarball (zipfile) that you create in step 4 on other machines too.

Edit: You do mean the text client, right? I don't know, but I don't think that the screensaver is this easy...

yeah, im not sure what you mean by clusters, but they are all networked in their own lan. yeah the computers are only like 333mhz, so i dont plan i using the screensaver, it never worked on my fast pc anyhow (always froze).

i'll also check out stir fries info. thanks guys

Originally posted by andyman925
    yeah, im not sure what you mean by clusters,
    A cluster is a bunch of machines that process information and act like a single machine (yes, a very simplistic explanation). Clusters are used to save money - instead of purchasing a single, very-expensive supercomputer, we buy 20 or 100 cheap personal computers and link them up to provide processing power equivalent to that of a supercomputer.

You don't have a cluster, though.
    Derek