Thread: Suggestion re badges.

Suggestion re badges.

Much though I really like the display of badges on the CPID page, it has become a source of irritation recently, as a new badge appeared and I have no idea where it came from. It seems to me that there ought to be a way that the badge display could take you to list of the projects for which the Boincer has badges.
    This I suppose could be by hovering over the picture producing a list of projects, or by clicking leading to a popup window of some sort showing the same. Perhaps as badges seem to be becoming more common and if the information is readily available then it could be worth going to a new screen which displays all sorts of badge related information, perhaps with such things as a table of Projects offering badges, badges you have for these projects, and perhaps even the luxury of "badges you could reach soon" if that isn't too ridiculous a suggestion.

For me, just a hover/comment thing listing projects would be great and would solve my current annoyance.

Meanwhile does anyone know whose badge is a green square with MM in it? It doesn't appear to be anything obvious like MindModelling, unless they haven't updated their MyAccount page to show them yet, in which case you guys are on the ball! I have looked at all projects with leading M's, and all projects I have been active on, and still haven't found this badge anywhere else.
    Cheers
    Mark
    Last edited by MarkRBright; 07-20-2013 at 07:23 AM. Reason: Typo

Wake Forest, North Carolina, United States
    Blog Entries
    Not a bad idea to have a page of it's own actually.

As for the MM badge, you can think a little harder

Re the page I agree, it seems to be a growth area, and there is probably a fair bit you could put on it, though a lot of it would probably be quite specific to individual applications within projects.
    Hmmm! So, "think a little harder" sounds like a clue or is it just so obvious I am not seeing it? Thinking - takes me back to MindModelling - but been there and see no badge on their My Account page. Conjecture? Nope - Different badges got one of them. Thinking enigmatically - nope again.
    Is there now a badge for Mega-Milestones? Like when you get on the board with 20 of them? Or have you generously created a badge for Marks MiRB's - perhaps not. ;-)
    OK I am quite prepared to accept that I am a bit thick, and need a bigger clue.

Blog Entries
    Page is now in the planning stages. Any suggestions are welcome.

Yup, it's for Mega Milestones

Excellent - didn't know that badge was in there - I can't find anything explaining it in the forum either - nice surprise. Are there any more like that in there? I assume it's for 20 entries in the various Mega Milestone categories, it's hard to imagine what would come next as there appear to be only the 28 MM categories.

I think a page for badges is an interesting one. Given that you seem to get them for different things from different projects and for different applications within projects.
    Obviously it would be nice to be able to see what you have for each project/application, but also to see what badges there are available for the same, and really nice to see what you could most easily target to add to your collection. I suppose for the ones where they offer say Bronze/Silver/Gold etc it might be nice to see them all rather than just the highest value ones as currently shown on the CPID page. Perhaps that might be the way to do it, show them all, highlighting which you have, and perhaps highlighting in a different way which are close - though I have no idea how you would define 'close'.

I have absolutely no clue how you could do all this though so I'll back off quickly now.
    Thanks for doing it though, I look forward to seeing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bok View Post
    Page is now in the planning stages. Any suggestions are welcome.

Yup, it's for Mega Milestones
    Is there anywhere a definition of the colours for that badge?
    I think you've stayed with the standard BOINC colour scheme, i.e. bronze, silver, gold, ruby, emerald, sapphire, but...
    I wonder what MM does count how, and where are the thresholds, and how can I reach ruby (if that's what I should look for with my probably golden MM)

Whatever, thanks in any case for another nice gadget over here

Blog Entries
    I haven't posted it, but here you go.

It's for the #categories you have an MM in.

#5 - Bronze
    #10 - Silver
    #15 - Gold
    #20 - Emerald
    #25 - Ruby
    #30 - Sapphire

Can't reach Sapphire as there are only 28 individual categories yet...

Thanks for the answer, so just one more MM for me to get the next colour.

That will probably be 25M in POEM, in about 130 days, if Willy calculates right and the WUs are running smooth.

I think you missed one category "Top 1000 ranks". This category is also missing in the MM stats list on the navigation.

It's good that you explained the thresholds of the badges. I was wondering if maybe number of Milestones would be relevant.

How's it coming along Bok? I keep clicking on the badges to see if it springs into life.
    I'm not nagging though - I would have thought with all the different ways badges are handled that it would take a while - just interested.

Blog Entries
    It's still in the planning as we are working on some other enhancements first. Got some very good ideas for it though, dynamic using the d3 libraries.

It would be good to display the SkyNet and WCG badges too, and any others that might be missing that I don't know about. Milky Way is apparently starting badges too.

Hi there,
    I've heard that Seti@home has badges now (based on RAC ?); and I know Seti@home beta test has badges (I have one), although I have no clue as to what the badges are based on (see http://setiweb.ssl.berkeley.edu/beta...p?userid=15227)
    Is it possible to include those in the "user by cpid stats" pages?
    Kind regards,
    F. Thibaud

Blog Entries
    To be honest I'm unsure what to do with these new 'boinc standard' badges. They are based on average credit only (top 1%, top 5%, top25%), so are transient. if you stop crunching they will go away. And there is no standard mechanism for us stats sites to get the data for them, though I could work it out manually I think.

As they are a work in progress though I'm kind of waiting to see where they go. The BOINC trac page has some details about exporting data for them, it just hasn't been implemented yet.

I have added the new NFS badges per application though. The credit based one is on the userbycpid page and the application ones are on the user page (I will be adding them to the userbycpid page soon)

That's the Milky way ones going now, though I am sure you know that already.

Blog Entries
    Working on them, but having a bit of trouble getting them to display for some reason, just the credit ones for now, you can see the gap in the image above where it should go.

Quote Originally Posted by Bok View Post
    I haven't posted it, but here you go.

It's for the #categories you have an MM in.

#5 - Bronze
    #10 - Silver
    #15 - Gold
    #20 - Emerald
    #25 - Ruby
    #30 - Sapphire

Can't reach Sapphire as there are only 28 individual categories yet...
    Does this need revisiting now that there are around 50+ of them?

Blog Entries
    Sure, want to update the badges and provide some new colors? That's certainly not my forte.....

MM badge

Not my forte either, but I feel sure there are some keen artistic people out there with a bit of flair who fancy an opportunity for Boinc immortality. Come on frustrated badge designers everywhere, give it a go.

Edit: Actually, and I assure you there is no egotistical reasoning behind this at all, but I always assume that a Boincing Computer is happy computer, and then I thought about my own avatar which is exactly that. Perhaps you could use that but with different coloured faces - I think the colours are pretty much preordained. It's actually my business logo, but I use it for personal stuff too, and I would certainly not object to it being used for this purpose. - Just a thought.

2nd Edit: Just to be more proactive and not be a shirker. If you like the idea, then the following thoughts might save some time later.

The colours could be taken from SRBase, GoofyxGrid, Bitcoin, TN-Grid and PrimeGrid. I never realised that there wasn’t a standard real colour hierarchy before. Or if there is, that projects don’t use it or stick to it. Jade, Turquoise, and Sapphire appear to be pretty randomly dotted around project badges.

Anyway how about this

1 White? - Why not? Welcome them in with open arms.
    5 Bronze
    10 Silver
    15 Gold
    20 Amethyst
    25 Ruby
    30 Turquoise
    35 Jade
    40 Sapphire
    45 Emerald
    50 Diamond / Orange or another way?

If there are ways of getting more than 50 then I don’t know about it, but if you are doing it then you should plan for the future so I would propose that after 50 you continue in 5’s but add a sort of medal ribbon to it like NumberFields does it.

If you think this is a good idea then I am quite sure I can change some colours, if you give me the ideal size(s) in pixels and file type. I reckon it should be a bit bigger than the current one – I see no reason for it to be smaller than DHEPs new badges.
    If you think it's a rubbish idea then I have enjoyed thinking about it for an hour and am quite happy. And yes, I know I could probably have done it in an hour! :-)
    Last edited by MarkRBright; 04-02-2019 at 05:01 AM. Reason: A better idea?

Blog Entries
    Go for it, just include the MM in. I would say 50x50 max, most badges I resize to 36x36 or so if there are many, but when there is only a single badge I think it can be bigger, so 50x50. I can always resize if need be...

Sorry, I completely forgot about this - I've just sent some images to the gmail address you used a while back. If you have changed it then let me know the best way to get them to you. I apologise in advance as I don't seem to have a method of resizing the images without losing the background transparency, perhaps you do - these are all 100x100 but I don't think there's a lot wrong with the biggest one being a Free-DC one!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Speaking of images, whilst I realise that you do not actively do anything yet with the userbycpidmilestones page, could you possibly do me a big favour and remove the badges banner from it, or resize the badges display so that it is more like the userbycpid page. I use this page as I have mentioned many times before to copy the full megamilestones table to my spreadsheet, and as far as I am aware this information isn't available on any other screen. Yet even with a 1920 pixel wide display I can't see the table without scrolling. The badges are not required on this page anyway, the focus are the milestones and the megamilestones, neither of which can be seen without scrolling when I call up the screen. Yes I know that you have long term plans for this page and that all you will get out of doing this is my eternal gratitude. ;-)

Blog Entries
    Missed this earlier. I've fixed the width of the banner. Will look into fixing this page to be the new format also.

Thanks that is so much better. I noticed it straight away when I went to it this morning. Thanks.