Thread: How to rebuil filelist.txt ?

How to rebuil filelist.txt ?

Is that possible?

'Cos sometimes client returns "filelist tamperd with" for unespected pc power-off...

ad a lot of filesets can't be uploaded...

Thanks.

Good question nilus...

Check if there is a filelist.txt.tmp - if there is, try copying that to filelist.txt and see if it works. Otherwise, you cannot rebuild it. The main reason for this is it could allow certain clever inidividuals to cheat in various ways, which I won't describe here of course
    Howard Feldman

We all understand the need to prevent cheating, Howard, but you therefore need to make the uploading more reliable.

Case in point:

I noticed yesterday that when uploading, additional files are created for each uploaded generation and only when the upload finishes or times out do all the "uploaded" files get deleted along with the newly created files. If you run out of space during this process, the upload process will cause the filelist.txt to become corrupt.

I found this out when uploading from a CF card containing a nonetted client from a machine with no 'Net access. I now know to copy the contents to a hard disk before uploading but it lost a full run through to 250

Yes there is currently not a lot of careful checking for running out of disk space, since we foolishly still assume most people are running this on hard drives exclusively. As you continue to think up new and inventive ways to uplaod your data though you are keeping us on our toes Ill add it to the to-do list - handle running out of disk space better.
    Howard Feldman

OK, I'll see how to fit it onto a floppy!

Seriously though, I certainly was unaware that the upload process adds files before it deletes files! Did I miss this in the readme1st.txt or isn't it explicitly stated?

I needs a bit of free space, but not much. It is not explicitly mentioned anywhere, like I said we just assumed...
    Howard Feldman

Originally posted by Brian the Fist
    I needs a bit of free space, but not much. It is not explicitly mentioned anywhere, like I said we just assumed...
    I like the last part of the sentence: ......we just assumed.....

there is a saying in german but I don't know how to translate it

it pretty much says that if something can go wrong, it will go wrong.
    or if you think something is bulletproof, whatever it is , it will be hit by a bigger bullet that you ever thought of!
    propably everybody thinks I'm by now, but I at least wanted to try to explain what I mean...
    Always these language problems !

well I better get back to crunch some more....

btw. Great Work Howard! on my machine the autoupdate worked like a dream !
    Thanks!

Greets Thor