Thread: -rt flag not functional after update till multi-restart

-rt flag not functional after update till multi-restart

After update...was noticing my hourly numbers were low..so I investigate.

THREE of FOUR machines (1 Mandrake 8.1, 1 Knoppix, 1 OS X 10.2.6) were running as if the -rt switch was not in the foldit file which of course it was. The only one running with full RAM use was the only Knoppix box not to update automatically and that I stopped and restarted to force an update.

I stopped the clients, restarted (twice in case of Mandrake box) before I saw RAM use double.

Anyone else get this?
    Agent Smith was right!: "I hate this place. This zoo. This prison. This reality, whatever you want to call it, I can't stand it any longer. It's the smell! If there is such a thing. I feel saturated by it. I can taste your stink and every time I do, I fear that I've somehow been infected by it."

Checking my home machines, one was running correctly and the second needed to be restarted twice.

That's because the archive contains a foldit file, and it replaces what was there...
    Howard should check to see if there is a foldit and not replace it if it already exists (foldit.bat to)

Just curious, how much memory is this protein using with the -rt option. On my Tru64 UNIX systems it's 73 MBs.

Shortfinal

IronBits...the file didn't get replaced..unless Howard's file is the same as mine was. And even if it did replace it...why is it not using the -rt switch after restart? ECL saw this behaviour as well.

It's just that this thing doesn't recognize the -rt switch and take the RAM until you restart it a few times.
    Last edited by Chinasaur; 09-03-2003 at 08:57 PM.
    Agent Smith was right!: "I hate this place. This zoo. This prison. This reality, whatever you want to call it, I can't stand it any longer. It's the smell! If there is such a thing. I feel saturated by it. I can taste your stink and every time I do, I fear that I've somehow been infected by it."

ShortFinal..yeah...plus or minus that's correct.

OH
    How does one test for memory foot print in *nix so I can check some of mine.
    I did manual updates all the way around, which did replace the darn foldit file so I had to re-create it.

bring up a terminal

type top or top -d 2

check to make sure that foldtrajlite is eating approx 72-3M of RAM.

---

And even on the Knoppix box which I just stopped and restarted, and the OS X box which got a fresh download, ALL of them had to be reset multiple times to get them to use double RAM.

Something is not right.

This is the title that appears ECL's Avatar
    I saw this behavior on an XP box and a Linux box. Both had autoupdated and the foldit files were correct, but the processes were in the 20-25M range. I restarted both without editing anything and they went immediately to ~74M.

It's annoying but not earth-shattering.

Originally posted by IronBits
    How does one test for memory foot print in *nix so I can check some of mine.
    I did manual updates all the way around, which did replace the darn foldit file so I had to re-create it.
    I use '# ps -efl'. Look for a column labeled 'SZ' or 'RSS'.

Shortfinal

i noticed this, and wondered what was going on, restarted several times, but to no avail. so i restarted it again and took it out of quiet mode to see what was going on, and found that it was in the minimizing energy and generating the trajectory distribution for the next gen, during which time it only took up 18 or so megs of ram. this took a while, and then it resumed its normal usage. maybe this protein takes a long time to do these things and folks are catching it in this stage?

edit: during the type i investigated and typed this, it screamed thru the generation and is now doing it again. maybe we have short gens and long spaces in between?

these times are an athlon XP 2100
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'm not seeing this myself.

I did watch the client bounce all around tho.

It drops way down, while doing 'something' then pops back up to the usual ram usage, then down again, then up again...

Currently at 77,152 after 12hrs of run time.

Talking

my client works great! updatet automaticly and it runs, and runs and runs....

the foldtrajlite.exe needs only 25mb when it minimizes the energy. when it continues folding it uses again around 73mb of ram

Yup, what he said
    Howard Feldman