Thread: Only half points for my gens !!!

Angry Only half points for my gens !!!

Not very happy about this.

Since when have we offline crunchers been penalised for uploading our gens by having the points slashed in half.

It was tough enough getting them uploaded at all but this sucks arse big time.
    Alas poor Borg, I knew it Horatio

http://www.butlersurvey.com/

We have had the same old-results upload policy for a very long time now:
    - full credit within 24 hours of switchover
    - half credit within 48 hours of switchover
    - no credit after 48 hours
    I guess you may have missed this on the website and forum
    We also announce switchovers at least a week ahead of time, so pay attention
    Elena Garderman

Angry I do pay attention honey

I also commute to work where my machines have to work offline.

I also live in the UK.

I also have a life away from DF which didn't allow me to upload last night.

I also don't have broadband, I know dark ages.

I wouldn't have had sufficient time to upload all the buffered work I had anyway.

So thanks for your patronising reply.

So 1 million points go bye bye.

Angry For the 50th time tonight

No response from server try again later.

When I have got on it goes slow and I get jack for it.

Well I haven't got later I need to get up in the morning.

You need more concurrent connections and that is obvious around this time.

AND

allowances for timezones.

Re: I do pay attention honey

Originally posted by Fozzie
    I also commute to work where my machines have to work offline.

I also live in the UK.

I also have a life away from DF which didn't allow me to upload last night.

I also don't have broadband, I know dark ages.

I wouldn't have had sufficient time to upload all the buffered work I had anyway.

So thanks for your patronising reply.
    The switchover was announced well in advance (six days) and there was plenty of time to upload buffered results.
    Derek

Unhappy Derek I don't beleive you have the

necessary comprehension here.

I am not talking about long time buffered work I am talking about the day before's work.

I haven't been hording it.

I knew about the changeover.

I could not upload because of insufficient connections at the server end.

I am not prepared to retry upteen times through the night because the server is in Canada and no-one gives a s@@t about people outside your timezone.

So thanks for another patronising half-witted response.

And good bye.

This isn't a Psychic Hotline; Fozzie. If they don't manage to figure out exactly what you're talking about because you've left out critical details, you can't exactly blame them for their inability to interpret your message properly.

We have a 24 hour window to upload proteins from the old client. It doesn't matter where you are in the world - you still have 24 hours for full credit.
    www.thegenomecollective.com
    Borging.. it's not just an addiction. It's...

Gee, Fozzie. None of the rest of us have EVER lost ANY proteins for any reason whatsoever! It must be just you. Oh, and ain't it a good thing that YOU weren't being even the least bit patronizing?

-embarrassed on your behalf

Fozzie is a modem user whom uploads wu daily and doesn't horde
    He is having the same problem many of us have been bitching about, and that is, can't contact Server, timeouts.
    I have logfiles FULL of that error message, but there are no TIMESTAMPS in the logfiles, as requested by numerous folks
    It has been reported time and time again, and nothing has been done about it.
    It's not Fozzie's fault that he can't get the Server to take his work units...
    he is reporting he has to continuously retry to get the server to take the work.
    he is frustrated just like you all have been, and most of you have broadband
    I have a logfile that started Aug. 13th, it is over 768KB now and is chaulk full of these sort of messages...
    Code:
    ========================[ Aug 13, 2003  7:10 PM ]======================== 
    ERROR: [777.000] {ncbi_socket.c, line 1258} [SOCK::s_Connect]  Failed pending connect to www.distributedfolding.org:80 (Unknown) {errno=No such file or directory}
    ERROR: [777.000] {ncbi_connutil.c, line 801} [URL_Connect]  Socket connect to www.distributedfolding.org:80 failed: Unknown
    ERROR: [000.000] {foldtrajlite2.c, line 4616} Error during upload: NO RESPONSE FROM SERVER - WILL TRY AGAIN LATER
    ERROR: [777.000] {ncbi_http_connector.c, line 101} [HTTP]  Too many failed attempts, giving up
    ERROR: [777.000] {ncbi_socket.c, line 1258} [SOCK::s_Connect]  Failed pending connect to www.distributedfolding.org:80 (Unknown) {errno=No such file or directory}
    ERROR: [000.000] {foldtrajlite2.c, line 4616} Error during upload: NO RESPONSE FROM SERVER - WILL TRY AGAIN LATER
    ERROR: [010.003] {taskapi.c, line 1218} [ReadServerResponse] Timeout waiting for response, got 0 chars.
    .... lines and lines and lines of it... then
    ========================[ Aug 26, 2003  7:05 AM ]========================
    ERROR: [777.000] {ncbi_connutil.c, line 801} [URL_Connect]  Socket connect to www.distributedfolding.org:80 failed: Unknown
    Look familiar? Got broadband? thought so
    Until we get timestamps in the logfiles, which is a normal thing in most projects, we will never figure this out as Howard never sees it.
    End of bickering - it IS a shame he lost points because the SERVER was fscking up still.
    I suspect his problem will be far less a problem now that we are on a much slower protein.
    I hope so... Hang in there Fozzie!

Blog Entries
    Thanks IB. Look like you and I have the same logs

Hang in there Fozzie!

irc.aknarra.net #lobby
    irc.free-dc.org #free-dc

We are batting for you Fozzie.

Don't let the pompous twats who posted earlier in this thread get you down.

I'm not sure I would use that particular terminology but, I will say that of late the general attitude has shown a significant amount of degradation from what it used to be. One almost gets the feeling that we are not really needed any more and that lost work is nothing more than that, lost and not important.
    Last edited by MgKnight; 09-05-2003 at 11:46 AM.

My understanding is that the DF server can only accept data for one protein. After an update, all work recieved for the previous protein is discarded. The server can give stats for old work for 24/48 hours, but the data itself goes in the bit bucket.

Re: Derek I don't beleive you have the

Originally posted by Fozzie
    necessary comprehension here.

I am not talking about long time buffered work I am talking about the day before's work.

I haven't been hording it.

I knew about the changeover.

I could not upload because of insufficient connections at the server end.

I am not prepared to retry upteen times through the night because the server is in Canada and no-one gives a s@@t about people outside your timezone.

So thanks for another patronising half-witted response.

And good bye.
    Thank you for the wonderful comment on Canada. As a Canadian I find that your remark is disrespectful towards Canadians, as most other (if not all) projects are located somewhere in North America

Your isolation of Canada in this instance seems to be picking on the country in general. Canada has it's problems (More than most) but no reason to go knocking it.

I say fsck that and find something betetr to waste your energy on. I've lost work and time on the last protein myself. Am I bitching about it? No. Am I making a big fuss cause the client sometimes exits on me? No. I'd like to see it fixed.

If you can't handle a few bugs then I recommend you do a format c: and return your computer to where you bought it cause you aren't capable of handling a couple bugs here and there.

Take a couple of Nitro pills and Go for a Joy ride on a bouncy road why don't ya?!

How MUCH Timestamping does everyone need? There is some Timestamping currently in the client.

Code:
    ERROR: [777.000] {ncbi_http_connector.c, line 101} [HTTP]  Too many failed attempts, giving up
    ERROR: [010.003] {taskapi.c, line 1218} [ReadServerResponse] Timeout waiting for response, got 0 chars.
    .... lines and lines and lines of it... then
    (I borrowed yours IB)

You can see at 7:10pm it tried to connect and couldn't and it tried quite a few times. From there on until 7:05am it looks like there were no problems uploading or anything from there. Where upon hitting 7:05am it again had problems and finally connected after a shorter interval this time

What more do we need to get added to the client timestamps?

Not being negative or anything, just asking Q's

Blog Entries
    Originally posted by ^7_of_9
    Code:
    . . .
    . . .
    (I borrowed yours IB)

You can see at 7:10pm it tried to connect and couldn't and it tried quite a few times. From there on until 7:05am it looks like there were no problems uploading or anything from there. Where upon hitting 7:05am it again had problems and finally connected after a shorter interval this time

What more do we need to get added to the client timestamps?

Not being negative or anything, just asking Q's
    Can you see the date/time-stamps? That time-stamps are added when the client gets (re-)started...

It would be nice to see a timestamp for every big action like "couldn't connect to ..." or "missing structs" or something like that...

So I know when the client died and I know how much work I have lost (between the time the client died until you recognize that there is an error)

Just my two cent
    the-mk

I had assumed (and apparently wrongly so) that because most of us (At least I do) run this thing continously 24/7. I've had the client run on some machines for ages w/o problems. I have had some probs but rarley look in the logs except for specific things, so I assumed that was the Time/Date stamp of the last proble/error.

Re: Re: Derek I don't beleive you have the

Originally posted by ^7_of_9
    Thank you for the wonderful comment on Canada. As a Canadian I find that your remark is disrespectful towards Canadians, as most other (if not all) projects are located somewhere in North America

Your isolation of Canada in this instance seems to be picking on the country in general. Canada has it's problems (More than most) but no reason to go knocking it.

I say fsck that and find something betetr to waste your energy on. I've lost work and time on the last protein myself. Am I bitching about it? No. Am I making a big fuss cause the client sometimes exits on me? No. I'd like to see it fixed.

If you can't handle a few bugs then I recommend you do a format c: and return your computer to where you bought it cause you aren't capable of handling a couple bugs here and there.

Take a couple of Nitro pills and Go for a Joy ride on a bouncy road why don't ya?!
    Sorry 7of9, perhaps my (non-native) English is not sufficient enough to get the point but who is blaming CANADA for the problem? Fozzie just said the server is in Canada what I assume is the case.

When the update happens at noon (US/Canadian Time), it's evening european time. Hard to upload your work then if it is stuck in a no-net computer in your office....

Still, the system would be fair and acceptable (as you have 24/48 hours to upload) if the server worked perfectly .. but Fozzie (and others) seem to have troubles connecting ...

... as most other (if not all) projects are located somewhere in North America
    climateprediction.net - UK
    DPAD - UK
    Distributed Hardware Evolution Project - UK
    evolution@home - UK
    find-a-drug - UK
    MD@home - Russia
    RSAttack576 - France
    Money Bee - Germany
    Goldbach conjecture verification - Portugal
    Zeta Grid - Germany (?)

Of course these are no "major" projects (like Seti, FAH or d.net) but to say there are none is just not right. If you try to rescue the honor of North America I'll do the same for Europe.

Just FYI, don't wanna start a war on this (you have to be careful these days, hope Mr. Bush is not reading this ...)

Good News. I've managed to figure out how to massage the NCBI error messages, so now there will be timestamps preceding all error messages in the error.log! This feature will be in the next release posted on the web site, probably in a week from now.
    Howard Feldman

"If you fail to adjust your notion of fairness to the reality of the Universe, you will probably not be happy."

-- Originally posted by Paratima

Most excellent news indeed!

Blog Entries
    Great!

the-mk

OCworkbench Stats Ho
    What more can a Stats Ho say
    I am not a Stats Ho, it is just more satisfying to see that my numbers are better than yours.

My logfile is 7,661 lines long, and that's just from the 6th of September. 99% of those lines are 000.000 or 777.000 errors. In the past week I have started folding on 3-5 computers instead of two, and still my daily "production" on the stats server has dropped by a good 20%. I am on a cable modem so the problem is definetly not offline buffering and waiting to send the gens.

Something is definetly wrong with the current server connection code.
    Crusher
    Team ProCooling