Thread: HELP!!! Uploading from another PC???

HELP!!! Uploading from another PC???

Hi,

I am running DF from a PC that does not have an Internet connection. I thus need to upload the data from another PC and then 'continue' folding. How do I do this?

I know there is an explanation somewhere in the threads, but I could not find it. Can anyone HELP?

THks
    Sheriar
    Sheriar

Pls see my post here.

Feel free to substitute "Zip drive" with other media of your choice.

I have been doing exactly that on most of my machines for some time now and it works rather well. However, I would add just one thing here. Create a second directory with a complete setup of the client.....C:distfold A and C:distfold B. As soon as you stop the client that needs to be uploaded start the other and then you will have no lost CPU cycles while awaiting the transfer, upload and return of the directory.

Unused cycles are not good!

Sneaker netter

Sounds like a novel waiting to be made into a movie... "Return of the Directory".

(Don't mind me, it's the new meds!)

Thks

Thks everyone for you help. Will be trying it tomorrow.

Sheriar
    Sheriar

The way I do it is:

1) Remove the foldtrajlite.lock file.
    2) Wait for client to stop.
    3) Copy the work files to another directory (filelist.txt, and files starting with fold_* and <handle>*).
    4) Run ./foldtrajlite -purgeuploadlist 9999 (or .\foldtrajlite -purgeuploadlist 9999 for windoze).
    5) Restart the client.
    6) Upload the copied work files using a machine that is connected to the internet and the -ut switch.
    7) Verify that step (6) went error free. If not, run the client with -ut again. These work files can be discarded once the upload has been successful.

I have found the above works well, and it only requires moving files in one direction.

Item 3 is REQUIRED before you even look at line item 4.
    COPY the files to another directory first.

When I first read your way, I thought you were making a joke, which wouldn't be funny if someone were to skip line item 3.

Interesting way to handle it, I like it

If I did line item 4 before I did 3 tho....

Purging the client does however lose the benefit of the later generations with their higher points values. Better surely to have two clients in individual directories.

1) Stop client1
    2) Start client2
    3) Take entire client1 directory to Internet-enabled PC (zipped probably).
    4) Copy client1 to identical directory location on Internet-enabled PC.
    5) Upload client1.
    6) After successful upload, delete original client1 directory contents on nonet PC.
    7) Copy uploaded client back to original PC.
    8) Stop client2
    9) Start client1

Client1 is the main active client. Client2 only gets uploaded as soon after protein changeover as possible i.e. once per new protein.

Using the same directory location is very important. I have found that unzipping a nonet directory to a different location for upload has resulted in losing entire generations (250) from the filelist.txt

Originally posted by HaloJones
    Purging the client does however lose the benefit of the later generations with their higher points values.
    :bs: WRONG! :bs:

Purging the client is NOT the same as deleting filelist.txt. Purging the client leaves it in the same state it would be in if you were to upload normally. When the client is restarted, it will continue with the same set of generations it was working on, just as if it had been able to upload normally. The client will continue through generation 250, then start the next generation and up through 250 again, etc.

I have a cluster with 15 nodes (plus the server) that crunch offline. About every 6 hours a script goes through the procedure I described, copying the work files and purging. This allows the client to resume crunching while the upload is going on. I set it up with this method on Aug 15. That's over 2000 purges without a problem. The client has always completed all sets of generations, (except when I cleaned everything out for the protein update).
    Last edited by AMD_is_logical; 09-08-2003 at 08:21 AM.

OK! THANKS FOR THE HEADS UP! WHY ARE WE SHOUTING?! STAND A BIT NEARER THE SCREEN! OK! THAT'S BETTER!

Hi all.

Back to the point where I started. I have been successful in the transfers between my two PCs (one crunching, while the other being used for uploading.

So thks everyone for your guidance.
    Sheriar