Thread: No upload with Linux -> Windows, Software Proxy

No upload with Linux -> Windows, Software Proxy

Hi,
    I am currently using Jana Server - a free Proxy server for Windows to connect a Linux (Suse 8.2) to the internet.

Every time when the client wants to connect to the server it says:
    "NO RESPONSE FROM SERVER - WILL TRY AGAIN LATER".
    Browsing and email do work.
    proxy.cfg is set up properly.
    And when I look in my proxy log it says following lines:

192.168.0.56 - - [14/Sep/2003:00:52:54 +0200] "GET www.distributedfolding.org:80 /server.status HTTP/1.0" 0 0 "-" "NCBIHttpConnector (C Toolkit)"
    192.168.0.56 - - [14/Sep/2003:00:52:54 +0200] "GET bioinfo.mshri.on.ca:80 /distribfold/server.status HTTP/1.0" 0 0 "-" "NCBIHttpConnector (C Toolkit)"
    192.168.0.56 - - [14/Sep/2003:00:52:55 +0200] "POST www.distributedfolding.org:80 /cgi-bin/trajstore HTTP/1.0" 0 0 "-" "NCBIHttpConnector (C Toolkit)"
    192.168.0.56 - - [14/Sep/2003:00:52:55 +0200] "POST www.distributedfolding.org:80 /cgi-bin/trajstore HTTP/1.0" 0 0 "-" "Foldtraj-Agent NCBIHttpConnector (C Toolkit)"
    192.168.0.56 - - [14/Sep/2003:00:52:58 +0200] "GET www.distributedfolding.org:80 /cgi-bin/trajstore HTTP/1.0" 0 0 "-" "NCBIHttpConnector (C Toolkit)"

First address is the one from the linux client. So it seems, that the df-client does reach the proxy but gets no response. At the same time the windows df-client is able to upload.
    Has anyone further ideas how to get a response from the df-server?

Another question:
    Which Linux-Version of the df-client should I use on a AMD Duron 1600? The gcc or Intel compiled one?

Thank you in advance.

Same problem for me. Windows systems ADSL line email and ALL other apps okay, but i get below. been flaky for a few weeks but now no connection.

PLEASE can we have a time stamp for EACH error message. Have asked several time but not reply.

========================[ Sep 15, 2003 12:35 AM ]========================
    ERROR: [000.000] {ncbi_socket.c, line 1173} [SOCK::s_Connect] Failed SOCK_gethostbyname(www.distributedfolding.org)
    ERROR: [000.000] {ncbi_connutil.c, line 801} [URL_Connect] Socket connect to www.distributedfolding.org:80 failed: Unknown
    ERROR: [000.000] {ncbi_socket.c, line 1173} [SOCK::s_Connect] Failed SOCK_gethostbyname(www.distributedfolding.org)
    ERROR: [000.000] {ncbi_connutil.c, line 801} [URL_Connect] Socket connect to www.distributedfolding.org:80 failed: Unknown
    ERROR: [000.000] {ncbi_http_connector.c, line 101} [HTTP] Too many failed attempts, giving up
    ERROR: [000.000] {ncbi_socket.c, line 1173} [SOCK::s_Connect] Failed SOCK_gethostbyname(bioinfo.mshri.on.ca)
    ERROR: [000.000] {ncbi_connutil.c, line 801} [URL_Connect] Socket connect to bioinfo.mshri.on.ca:80 failed: Unknown
    ERROR: [000.000] {ncbi_socket.c, line 1173} [SOCK::s_Connect] Failed SOCK_gethostbyname(bioinfo.mshri.on.ca)
    ERROR: [000.000] {ncbi_connutil.c, line 801} [URL_Connect] Socket connect to bioinfo.mshri.on.ca:80 failed: Unknown
    ERROR: [000.000] {ncbi_http_connector.c, line 101} [HTTP] Too many failed attempts, giving up
    ERROR: [000.000] {foldtrajlite2.c, line 2101} Mon Sep 15 00:35:51 2003
    Unable to check server status
    ERROR: [000.000] {foldtrajlite2.c, line 4616} Error during upload: NO RESPONSE FROM SERVER - WILL TRY AGAIN LATER
    ERROR: [000.000] {foldtrajlite2.c, line 4616} Error during upload: NO RESPONSE FROM SERVER - WILL TRY AGAIN LATER

just seen the stats seem to be off line. have to wait for the sun to rise in Canada.

Happy day.:sleepy:

Wink What do you expect Helix

They have to kick the huskies out of bed then get them hooked up to the sled for the trip down the trail to civilisation.

them puppies
    Alas poor Borg, I knew it Horatio

http://www.butlersurvey.com/

Originally posted by Helix_Von_Smelix
    Same problem for me. Windows systems ADSL line email and ALL other apps okay, but i get below. been flaky for a few weeks but now no connection.

PLEASE can we have a time stamp for EACH error message. Have asked several time but not reply.

Sorry, we cannot add time stamps on these messages, as they are not coming from our code (they are from the socket library). The proxy server thing is a known issue with certain proxies but the cause, and solution, is unknown. We have analyzed packets and tried to figure out what is happening on these certain proxies but can only conclude it is something funny about the NCBI socket library. Something in the request getting sent is not quite right, but we don't know what.

If there are any networking gurus out there who want to take a look at this problem your assistance would be greatly appreciated but it seems to be a relatively minor problem with only a few proxies. Specifically squid, the free *NIX proxy is known to work fine with our software.
    Howard Feldman

No guarantees, but I'll take a look at it if you want. I don't claim to be a guru (esp. with proxies; I'm more of a NAT guy myself), but hey, maybe.

It might also help to have source for a proxy that's known to not work, though I don't know if that's possible.

Regarding the NCBI log file errors, can your code register for any kind of notification when something goes wrong? (I basically have no idea how NCBI works... ) If you could put a timestamp right after the error msg, that might be enough.

Don't suppose you have the source for NCBI, that you might be able to hack that in? Probably not, or you'd have tried it already.
    "If you fail to adjust your notion of fairness to the reality of the Universe, you will probably not be happy."

-- Originally posted by Paratima

Originally posted by bwkaz

Regarding the NCBI log file errors, can your code register for any kind of notification when something goes wrong? (I basically have no idea how NCBI works... ) If you could put a timestamp right after the error msg, that might be enough.

Don't suppose you have the source for NCBI, that you might be able to hack that in? Probably not, or you'd have tried it already.
    That would mean adding a second error message after every one of those. I'll take a look and see how feasible that is though.

The NCBI library is open source, however I do not like to change it as a) it has to be compiled manually on all 17 OSes, it cannot be built with our build farm, and more importantly b) it is updated frequently - if we make changes to it, we have to remember those changes and make them every time the toolkit is updated. This is generally messy and I'd prefer the former solution, if any. A third option would be to ask NCBI to add the option of time stamps on error messages in there error message API, which isn't a bad idea so maybe I'll try that one first...
    Howard Feldman

Originally posted by Brian the Fist
    The NCBI library is open source, however I do not like to change it as a) it has to be compiled manually on all 17 OSes, it cannot be built with our build farm, and more importantly b) it is updated frequently - if we make changes to it, we have to remember those changes and make them every time the toolkit is updated.
    That does sound like a good reason.

It's actually the same reason (more or less..) that at least a few people don't like to patch vBulletin to add in certain features. The features are nifty, but you have to figure out how to do them all over again when you get another version.

(And asking the authors to integrate some features is actually pretty much the same thing that the admins do when users complain over at justlinux.com, since apparently internet.com is the main user of vBulletin, or something -- so that makes sense too.)
    "If you fail to adjust your notion of fairness to the reality of the Universe, you will probably not be happy."

-- Originally posted by Paratima