Thread: Win2000 DOS client not uploading, at gen 776

Unhappy Win2000 DOS client not uploading, at gen 776

Hello,

A while back I noticed a "cannot find structure" type error, not one of the ones listed on the known bugs page. I didn't have time to report it or help track it down, so I downloaded and re-installed the client.

I've recently changed my handle, and the client has now been running for a number of days, however it doesn't seem to have uploaded any completed units, my stat's haven't changed.

I've quit and re-started the client, I thought one of those two was supposed to force an upload.

It currently says "Beginning struc. #50 gen. 22 (0 until next gen., 776 gen. buffered". There are over 2400 files in the distribfold directory, 1/3 bz2 files, 1/3 .val files, and 1/3 _min.val files.

Any suggestions? I thought the software was supposed to update itself, however I see another thread down below talking about manually downloading and updating the client.

Cheers,

Take a look at foldit.bat. In particular the line that invokes foldtrajlite.exe should have a -it in it. If it has -if (internet false), it will never attempt to upload. Not certain what the default is, since I always set my flags true or false explicitly.

Also take a look at your error log....

It wouldn't be a bad idea to set the -qf flag (== quiet false) and run the program and watch - look at what the console is saying as the program comes up....
    FreeDC Mercenary

what type of errors do you see at the end of the error.log file?

If it's a missing/corrupted file message, is the file it's asking about present?

you might be able to use "foldtrajlite -purgeuploadlist 1" to get rid of the references to the missing files in filelist.txt - and it'll upload everything for you. (although you don't get credit for the generations that result in a previous generation not found error message from the server - you'll get credit for everything after the next generation 0.
    www.thegenomecollective.com
    Borging.. it's not just an addiction. It's...

Thank-you people.

So there were no errors in the error.log file. There was however the "-if" flag. So I switched it from "-if" to "-it", and now when re-started it downloaded a client update, and then after a successful self-install and self-restart, it is now uploading all those filesets.

Maybe I chose not to allow self updates the last time I installed? Still, I can't understand how I would ever screw up an install so that it thought it should never try and upload work units. Maybe I mistook the "disallow internet connectivity" question for the "disallow automatic updates" question?

In any case, we'll blame it on me for now.

Which is why some of us copy the foldit.bat file from a working system.

I've got systems all ready to run DF overnight at work, and neglected to doubleclick on the foldit.bat file.. at least you had a wonderful dump after your mistake. *grin*
    www.thegenomecollective.com
    Borging.. it's not just an addiction. It's...

Originally posted by tpdooley
    I've got systems all ready to run DF overnight at work, and neglected to doubleclick on the foldit.bat file.. at least you had a wonderful dump after your mistake. *grin*
    Actually no, most of the saved stats were from the *last* protein/run, I only got 50 credits from the ones uploaded.

Oh well, at least I'm in a position to notice. Imagine how many sites have dozens if not hundreds of computers running it in the background low priority, when a client gets hung and stops generating results, no-one may ever notice...

Originally posted by _CK_
    Imagine how many sites have dozens if not hundreds of computers running it in the background low priority, when a client gets hung and stops generating results, no-one may ever notice...
    Um, not as many as you may be thinking. Notice the emphasis on statistics. The force that drives most of the crunchers here, especially the big pharmers, is competition. I think you'd find that the more competitive the person, the more assiduously they check up on what produces the points. Boxen that aren't producing get attention pretty quickly!

As I always say, RTFM Glad you figured it out though
    Howard Feldman