Thread: Phase I stats

Talking Phase I stats

Ok, so after a few glitches I have the Phase I stats (v.0.1) up and running

Suggestions and improvements are welcome. I am working on the combined stats version, and eventually I'm hoping to make it customizable whether your default stats display is Phase II only or Phase I + Phase II

Just a quick poll : would you prefer the display customization for personal stats or team stats (please don't say both ) Awaiting feedback for now
    Elena Garderman

my vote's for personal please

OCworkbench Stats Ho
    Personal
    I am not a Stats Ho, it is just more satisfying to see that my numbers are better than yours.

yeah, the teams are most interested in the current stats/phase II

i vote "customization for personal stats "

D'oh! i noticed a little "glitch" already!

the phase I stats show me on the team i am on now, not on the team i was on when the phase I stats ended

so that means the way they are setup is just by person coordinated with the current team membership, not with the team membership as it stood at the end of phase I

that means they are stictly personal stats, not team stats?
    Last edited by FoBoT; 09-08-2003 at 08:11 PM.
    Use the right tool for the right job!

OCworkbench Stats Ho
    Erm, where are the Phase 1 Stats
    I am not a Stats Ho, it is just more satisfying to see that my numbers are better than yours.

Originally posted by Grumpy
    Erm, where are the Phase 1 Stats
    you have to go into the team pages and scroll allllllll the way to the bottom, there is a link there, for each team

try this one? ocworkbench ?
    Last edited by FoBoT; 09-08-2003 at 08:33 PM.

OCworkbench Stats Ho

I never go to the bottom

25/25Mbit is nearly enough :p pointwood's Avatar
    I think what I would like to see is how the team competition ended.
    Pointwood
    Jabber ID: pointwood@jabber.shd.dk
    irc.arstechnica.com, #distributed

Originally posted by Grumpy

I never go to the bottom
    Me, neither.

Originally posted by FoBoT
    the phase I stats show me on the team i am on now, not on the team i was on when the phase I stats ended

so that means the way they are setup is just by person coordinated with the current team membership, not with the team membership as it stood at the end of phase I

that means they are stictly personal stats, not team stats? [/B]
    Well, the scores for Phase I are stored for each individual participant. So when they are displayed on a group basis, it is the person's group affiliation that determines where you will see them. Unfortunately, previous group affiliations are not stored in the database.

A similar situation would occur if you were to switch teams at present - you would "carry" your points with you. I hope this clears it up for you
    Elena Garderman

Originally posted by pointwood
    I think what I would like to see is how the team competition ended.
    You don't remember?

And just do answer the question: Yes, I do remember that we kicked some serious butt in Phase I - I just want to make sure everyone remembers that
    Pointwood

Ah, the joys of past glory days. I'm glad that you can look back on the 'good ole days', Pointy!
    "So utterly at variance is destiny with all the little plans of men." - H.G. Wells

Originally posted by Stardragon
    Unfortunately, previous group affiliations are not stored in the database.
    well then the phase I stats are TOTALLY meaningless on a team basis

not trying to be mean/rude, but if the database you have of the phase I stats doesn't attach to the team the person was on at the time, then they aren't historically accurate and are only of interest on an individual basis

they should NOT even be available in any team context , it is misleading

i think they should either be represented/available only from a user perspective or not available at all

the current link from the team page totally misrepresents the data, in my opinion

Dyyryath:

Though I also do remember us being very far behind a certain new team for a loooong while before we ramped up and killed all competition

FoBoT: I agree completely - then the stats are misleading and shouldn't be visible
    Pointwood

Actually, I can display them with respect to both teams & individuals. I store the data in a different manner than the official stats, so I am able to reproduce exactly how things looked at any point in time, regardless of changes in team affiliation since then.

Is this a big deal? I've set aside some time to add a few new features to my stats system anyway, so I could stick Phase I stats on the 'to do' list as well if it's something enough people want....
    "So utterly at variance is destiny with all the little plans of men." - H.G. Wells

Originally posted by Dyyryath
    I've set aside some time to add a few new features to my stats system anyway, so I could stick Phase I stats on the 'to do' list as well if it's something enough people want....
    ohh, can I request a feature.

It would be nice if the personal stats page showed your overall position somewhere.

Dont know how easy this would be...just a thought

Sure, I don't see why that would be a problem. It's officially on 'the list'.

I vote that either

1.) Everyone stop wasting time dealing with phase I stats, or
    2.) Decide to completely decide to roll them into the current stats.

Either they matter to the current folders and teams standings, or they don't.

If they don't matter to the current standings, then make them available as the historical curiosity that they are, and leave it at that.

If they do matter, meaning we've suddenly changed the rules substantially, then combine them and be done with it.

The fact that "I could-have-been number 43 in the overall standings, instead of number 46 overall, if the phase I stats were factored in" doesn't interest me much at all - I could be on a beach somewhere if I'd won a lottery, too. And if we move to a phase III, I'd make the same comment for the current phase II stats as well.

I'd vote for being able to say "I was 43rd in phase I and am now 46th in phase II", and just leaving the old stats as history....

FreeDC Mercenary

Oh... Oh.... Feature request:
    [QUOTE}I've set aside some time to add a few new features to my stats system anyway[/quote]

Oh... Oh... Feature request - an N unit moving average that can be displayed on the hourly or daily production graphs.... (Dare I suggest linear regressions, too?)
    FreeDC Mercenary

Originally posted by rsbriggs

I'd vote for being able to say "I was 43rd in phase I and am now 46th in phase II", and just leaving the old stats as history....
    i agree, but would add:

"if the team affiliations during phase I aren't available (as stardragon stated) , then the [history-phase 1 stats] should only be presented/available in a "per user" mode, they can't be presented in context with current teams/the teams people are currently on, when that isn't how it happened."

OK, so other than the historical record showing team standings at the end of phase I, and the historical record of individual standings at the end of phase I (both of which are available, I believe) what else is missing?

Anything past that can be done with a piece of paper, a pencil, and basic knowledge of how to add two numbers together. Longhand division and "average-the-two-numbers-from-then-and-now" knowledge optional....
    FreeDC Mercenary

I would personaly like to be able to view the old stats from time to time cos of all the time I put into earning them.

I wouldn't however like the 2 phases to be merged, cos I believe with the new phase should come a new set of stats.

The old stats are as someone said...history.

OCworkbench Stats Ho
    Well, the only thing that seems of use is to put the Phase I Total for each person in a column on the Stats Page so you can see what you achieved previously, anything else would be a herculean task and not very worthwhile :sleepy:

I'd rather see them spend their time fixing the client code and upload problems.

Originally posted by IronBits
    I'd rather see them spend their time fixing the client code and upload problems.
    I second this

OCworkbench Stats Ho
    Yes, we are here to build the future, not lament the past

Heh-heh.

So it sounds like the easiest and best thing to do would be list Phase I final total on your personal login page (already there I think), and have some way of accessing the team pages as 'snapshots' from the end of phase I (a bit confusing since new teams exist and old teams may have been destroyed). I was thinking more for the rankings on the front pages though, everyone is happy with ranking by phase 2 totals only? The other option is to give you an option (using cookies) to view the ranking sorted by phase I+II if you so desire. This would be a personal preference thing that you choose so by default it would show phase II only but if you preferred to see top 10 the other way you'd have that option. Any thoughts? Anyone care anymore? If not, we'll try to keep things as simple as possible I guess.
    Howard Feldman

its definitely a good idea for the phase 1 ststs to be there for people to view in their personal stats.

I cant speak on behalf of anyone else, but i'm definitely happy with the "official" ranking being phase 2 only.

If you could have an option on your "high flyers" page where you could choose whether to view your stats as "phase 2" or "phase 1 + 2" then that would be great (if it wasn't too time consuming on your side).

How about something like:
    default: Phase II stats only.
    optional Phase I personal stats and Phase I team stats (from the team you ended Phase I with).

optional phase I+II personal stats.
    www.thegenomecollective.com
    Borging.. it's not just an addiction. It's...

Originally posted by tpdooley
    How about something like:
    default: Phase II stats only.
    optional Phase I personal stats and Phase I team stats (from the team you ended Phase I with).

optional phase I+II personal stats.
    thats exactly what I meant, only worded better