Thread: dfgui wish list.

dfgui wish list.

How about a button to open a dos window to the client directory to run comands like -PURGEUPLOADLIST -1
    Or better yet a purgeuploadlist -x button?
    Oh and how about a make new trajectory button?

The purgelist thing I can probably do since I am a sneaker-netter myself in some cases so that is something that will be implemented.

What would a "make new trajectory button" actually do? Delete the filelist.txt and get the DF client to start over?

Jeff.

What would a "make new trajectory button" actually do? Delete the filelist.txt and get the DF client to start over?
    Yes, and I'm pretty certain he meant it as a joke, born out of frustration, unless you can program "read the programs, umm, mind and figure out what it really wants here" kinds of stuff. Don't want that button around to accidentally push!!!!

I honestly can't think of much of anything to add to it, short of adding a configuration option that could somehow stop the client after it finished generation 250. There are times when I'd just like it to take a break for a while after finishing up, and before getting too far into a new, multi-hour gen 0...
    FreeDC Mercenary

[Stop Client] "Lock file removed"
    no sleeping for any length of time, just remove it...

smaller dfGUI window would be nice... i.e. smaller text, buttons...
    As little as possible, maybe 3 sizes..
    standard
    small
    minimal - just the 'facts'

Originally posted by IronBits
    [Stop Client] "Lock file removed"
    no sleeping for any length of time, just remove it...
    Huh? I didn't think there was any sleeping, I'm pretty sure when you click on Stop it deletes the file doesn't it?

smaller dfGUI window would be nice... i.e. smaller text, buttons...
    As little as possible, maybe 3 sizes..
    standard
    small
    minimal - just the 'facts'
    My god man, this multi-tab version is a lot smaller than it used to be. I don't think there is an easy way to get the GUI to change sizes since it would have to re-position certain items, make others invisible and the other problem is that people with different resolutions and font sizes would affect the amount of pixels it takes so I wouldn't know how much to move it. I would have to create all new panels I guess and make those visible or invisible. Anyway, will think about it but don't hold your breath since there are lots of other things to add first.

Originally posted by Digital Parasite
    Huh? I didn't think there was any sleeping, I'm pretty sure when you click on Stop it deletes the file doesn't it?
    When I click stop client button, it sure takes it's time before I can click the start client button, and when I see client has stopped message...
    I assumed you had stuck in some sleep time to give the client time to exit.
    I thought it should be instantaneous... /me shrugs
    As to the size of the dfGUI panel

Originally posted by rsbriggs
    Yes, and I'm pretty certain he meant it as a joke, born out of frustration, unless you can program "read the programs, umm, mind and figure out what it really wants here" kinds of stuff. Don't want that button around to accidentally push!!!!
    Yes the create new trajectory request was in jest do to the lost of about 200 sets do to that error during the recient server outages. ( this was the one that was suppose to be fixed)
    anyway I stuffed Howards in box with several distributed.zip files of the crashed directorys hope it helps.

For me messing with the service install, running purgeuploadlist ect...the button to at least open a dos command line window to the client directory would be handy (/me lazy doesn't want to create dos short cut on desk top )

If ya get time Jeff.

Im just glad this DfGui thingy exests because I can imagine dealing with this client with out it. ( one of the reasons I quite running nix o boxen)

Thanks again Jeff

Last edited by cygnussphere; 09-16-2003 at 05:50 PM.

When I click stop client button, it sure takes it's time before I can click the start client button, and when I see client has stopped message...
    I assumed you had stuck in some sleep time to give the client time to exit.
    I thought it should be instantaneous... /me shrugs
    As to the size of the dfGUI panel
    Ahhh... The .lock file does get deleted right away but the Start/Stop button status is tied to your Refresh rate. It only checks the status everytime the GUI does a refresh.

Right now if you want to speed it up, just hit the Refresh button and you will be able to click on Start again.

Blog Entries
    Just want to add something to the dfGUI wishlist :

It would be great if we could have a tab-page were the last 10 or whatever lines of the error.log are shown!

I just had the "STATUS 910 MISSING PREVIOUS OR ILLEGAL GENERATION"-error and the clients continued folding happily without breaking and so I lost about 18 hours of scored crunching time

Checking the error.log-file without the need of opening my favourite text-editor (but clicking a tab-page instead) would be great!
    the-mk

Oh thats a good idea. I am moving into my new house in a few days so the past few weeks have been crazy with packing and getting everything resolved with the house (new construction).

Once I get moved in and unpacked I should have time again to work on dfGUI and will try to add some of these wish list features after I get the multi-language version released.

OCworkbench Stats Ho
    How about a warning message to pop up when the Client dies without anyone noticing..this is a common griervance I have heard from many Folders. I know you have the Restart if Inactive, but many of us don't like that option, and would love DFGUI to let us know foldtrajlite.exe has gone to heaven on the quiet

Many a time I have only realized it is dead Jim when my hourly Stats show a drop off in output. The DFGUI Icon in the tray is still green

I am not a Stats Ho, it is just more satisfying to see that my numbers are better than yours.

The problem, Grumpy, is when it "goes to heaven on the quiet", it's too quiet for dfGUI too. What do you monitor?

-foldtrajlite.lock? Still there.
    -progress.txt? Still there.

You, the human, know to look at progress.txt for a lack of progress! Trouble is, dfGUI doesn't know a lack of progress from a slow protein.
    You, the human, know to look at TaskManager to see if it's still cookin', but the program can't do that. Windoze is reluctant to share that information.

The fact that it can die quietly has been a problem with this client from the start of Phase I. If dfGUI could detect it, it would have that capability by now!

But dfGUI COULD track the change in progress.txt. In fact, I'd really like to be able to graph the number of generations/structures per hour being produced. And, if the graph flat-lines, I know that something has happened to the client....
    FreeDC Mercenary

OCworkbench Stats Ho

Stoopid Client, dying on the Quiet

Maybe the Client needs a external Tick that DFGUI and others can intercept. If no Tick then Alert DFGUI etc
    I am not a Stats Ho, it is just more satisfying to see that my numbers are better than yours.

As Paratima says, its not obvious that the DF client is still running. I could look at the progress.txt file to see when it was last modified but that would depend on how slow the protein was and how often the DF client was configured to update the progress.

I might be able to make that a configurable option so pop-up a warning message and turn the icon red after X minutes of no progress.txt update.

rsbriggs: That is something I can look into, putting some sort of small graph that keeps track of the # of structures complete in the past X minutes and gaph that. As you said, if you see it flatline then you know something it up (either stuck for a long time on a protein or client died).

I will add those things to the wish list too.

OCworkbench Stats Ho
    Looks like back to plan B..Leave DFGUI running with DF Client "Visible" under config . At least if the Window vanishes you know the Client has died

DFGUI is still a fantastic programme

I was wondering if it could be of use adding a section where our performance could be registered. I mean...
    I have made an excel file where I write once per day my point progress on the current protein, and the total point progress as well as the smallest rmsd.

Then I let excel calculate the difference between the points of the past day and the points of today. In such way I know how quick I'm proceeding, and I can try to stimate what has slowed
    down or what it has speeden up...

We could also add a graph... that would help to see how things are going...

I don't know if the concept is clear. I'm not very happy with my english this morning, it's not my day!

Greetz
    matitaccia

Try Dyyryath's stats at this link . Click on your handle for details such as you desire.
    HOME: A physical construct for keeping rain off your computers.

Yeah, what Paratima said.

Great thing!

Thanx!
    'night!

I know this has been asked before, but, is it possible to include a button which will open the error.log file in notepad or similar?

It's annoying to have to go and ferret out the file using a directory browser, especially over VNC on my headless boxen.

Perhaps the latest error message could be displayed somewhere. I ask this after getting the 910 error and having to restart 2 clients from scratch and losing a number of hours crunching.

Cheers,

Barry
    Crunching for OCAU

You are right, this has been asked for. If you go to the dfGUI web page ( http://gilchrist.ca/jeff/dfGUI/ ) and look at the very bottom I have a Wish List set up there. Those are things that people have brought to my attention and I hope to implement in the future. If anyone would like a feature that is not in the list then they should contact me so I know about it.

So short answer is that yes I hope to add something for the error log in the next release. I share your error.log pain as well.

Jeff.

of OCW's "Triple Nickle" Gortok's Avatar

Question

Is there a way to buffer a certain number of structures....upload....then buffer some more automatically?
    This way when buffering on-line, you don't HAVE to upload after every single generation...like every 50 would be nice.

thank you for giving us dfgui.

how about a button that will clear the temp files that the client creates?
    Driving home the sky accelerates and the clouds all form a geometric shape.

Gortok, right now there is no way to do that but probably shouldn't be too hard. I will add that to the wishlist.

gistech: I'm a little weary of deleting any of the client files even if they are just temporary. Not sure if I want to take responsibility for that one. What kind of temp files are you talking about anyway?

Probably the stuff in /tmp (on Linux) or %USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Temp (on Windows). The ones that look like "file<random characters>.{cdx,dbf,fpt}".

The problem with these temp files is that if you delete the ones that the client is using, the client dies with an "Unable to fetch Biostruc" error message. So dfGUI would have to stop the client, clean out /tmp/file*.{cdx,dbf,fpt}, then restart the client.

But unless you're forcibly shutting the client down, those temp files should get deleted automatically...
    "If you fail to adjust your notion of fairness to the reality of the Universe, you will probably not be happy."

-- Originally posted by Paratima

i usually clean out those files once a week or so.
    ive never had one problem afterwards.
    howard mentioned in a previous thread that the problems are when those files are deleted while the client is running. the client has to be stopped.
    this client has been rock stable for me.

and i can also understand your reservations about implementing it.
    thanks.
    Driving home the sky accelerates and the clouds all form a geometric shape.

of OCW's "Triple Nickle" Gortok's Avatar
    Originally posted by Digital Parasite
    Gortok, right now there is no way to do that but probably shouldn't be too hard. I will add that to the wishlist.
    Many thanks, Jeff!

Ol' retired IT geezer

Question Reset Session Stat Figures at Gen 0 Instead

Jeff,

Currently you reset all the statistic counters after you've reported them at gen 250... However, during a protein changeover, the "run" gets interrupted and the statistics are left over when the new code starts over at gen zero. Currently I delete the dfGUI.ini, gen, gtm files in order to get a clean slate, but then I lose the long term stats...

So, my request is to reset the "run" stats when starting gen zero instead of after processing gen 250...

Thanks... Ned

Hi Ned, others have pointed out the same problem as you. It was an oversight on my part so will be fixed in the next release. Being the holiday season I'm not sure how much time I will have in the next few weeks to work on it though.

Jeff.