Thread: How To Get Started

How To Get Started

Fill in all the blanks...

1) Where can the client be downloaded (linkages)?
    2) How do you install the client?
    3) What OS does it run on?
    4) What's the minimum hardware requirements?
    5) How do you configure the client?
    6) How do you join Team Free-DC?
    7) Where are the STATS? Are there any 3rd party stats yet?
    8) Is there any tweaks for the client to gain more performance?
    9)

When it's complete, I'll put it all in one message and make it a sticky

How can I set up and join the Free-DC Team?
    Group many islands into a team and see how it compares to others in the statistics.
    Set up and join a team in one simple step:

If you're using a script to launch your island just add your team name after your email, so that the middle line of your script looks something like: java -Djava.security.policy=java.policy -jar ITClient.jar 139.184.166.27 KingKong YOUR_NAME -i 30 -c 60 YOUR@EMAIL Free-DC

If you're running your island as an NT service then edit wrapper.conf and add a line after the one with your email like this:
    wrapper.app.parameter.4=YOUR_NAME
    wrapper.app.parameter.5=YOUR@EMAIL
    wrapper.app.parameter.10=Free-DC

Team names must have no spaces (use _) and are case sensitive, so "Boca" is not the same as "BOCA".

1a. Download the client Here

1b. Forum is located Here

2a. To install the client, follow the instructions at the site. However, it does require that you have a Java JRE installed on the machine first. If you have problems with W2K installing this may help:

Install Java JRE
    download and unzip the two jar files to a directory of your chosing (I called mine DHEP in the program files sub-directory)

edit the IslandNT batch file and the wrapper.conf file

edit the islandNT batch file to remove the 1st line comment (say's something like "DHEP DIRECTORY HERE" or somesuch, and add the appropriate island name and team name (see below). I just placed the batch file in the same directory as the rest of DHEP. I think that this is used by the GUI version of the client, but I'm not sure so I changed it as well (the "xxxxxxxxx@xxxx.xxx" is to be replaced by your e-mail addy).

Here's an example of the islandNT batch file after mods:
    :begin
    start /low /b /wait java -Djava.security.policy=java.policy -jar ITClient.jar 139.184.166.27 KingKong Tick -i 30 -c 60 xxxxxxx@xxxx.xxx Free-DC
    goto begin

Modify the wrapper.conf, you just have to edit 2 lines and add the "wrapper.app.parameter.10=Free-DC" line:

#************************************************
    # Distribute dHardware Evolution NT Service Configuration:
    # Just replace USER_NAME and E@MAIL below with your own.
    #************************************************
    wrapper.app.parameter.4=Tick
    wrapper.app.parameter.5=xxxxxxxxxx@xxxx.xxx
    wrapper.app.parameter.10=Free-DC

Then run the InstallIsland batch file to set DHEP as a service.

Start the service or reboot (it sets the service to run automatically at start-up).

2b. What happens to the stats if one were to give say more than one
    island the same name? Is this recommended or not? Response per Miguel;
    "Stats will be skewed, could be in favour or against. Not recommended."

2c. Is there a better GUI circuit viewing tool that can translate the
    logic matrix into a simple schematic for better viewing perhaps? If
    so are there simple instructions to load, install and run it? Response per Miguel;
    "There are some java circuit viewers, but I haven't had time to implement a
    bridge from my circuit representation to theirs. Anyone who could do this is
    welcome to."

3. Runs on Win 9x, W2K, WNT, WXP, Linux, UNIX, Mac OS

4. Hardware requirements:
    CPU: under 200Mhz probably not much point.
    Mem: Works fine with 32MB but if you do other stuff at same time you may want
    64 or 128MB.
    Disk: 200Kb
    Graphics: Not required
    I/O: Connection to Internet.

Dial-up --> See Link Here

5. See #2 above for configuring the client. At this time, there's not a whole lot of options, just island name and team name.

6a. To join the Free-DC team, add "wrapper.app.parameter.10=Free-DC" to the wrapper.conf file and add "Free-DC" to the end "start /low /b /..." line in the islandNT.bat file.

6b. It looks like you points follow the island, so if you switch teams, they come with you.

7. Stats are located Here. and as far as I know there isn't any third party monitoring tools or stats sites yet.

8. No specific tweaks other than standard increase the performance of your system in general stuff. I don't think that the client does alot of disk access so whatever you need to do to optimize for Java would probably be best (High FSB if possible?)

prok
    Last edited by prokaryote; 09-19-2003 at 01:49 AM.

Proxy Question

There are directions on how to set up DHEP if you have a SOCKS proxy. Is there a way for me to set this up to work with my HTTP proxy?