Thread: Dial up....

Dial up....

Silly question, but since I can't get broadband (grrr....) i'm still using a dial up, what I want to know is if there is any way to make the program attempt to connect to the server more frequently? This way I will be able to dial up as and when necessary, without having to wait for the software to retry the connection. . . .

or am I just being awkward

squizzar
    I think you will be more likely to get an answer from someone in the Official Forum

It is hosted here at Free-DC

Hi squizzar, welcome to the forums.

I pulled this from DHEP's website FAQ Here:

Can I host an island even if I'm behind a modem?
    Yes. You will need to be connected when you start up the client. From then on you can connect and disconnect as often as you like. Your island will exchange individuals whenever it finds a connection to the server. If you don't connect very often, it would behave as if it had a lower migration rate. Such islands would host ecological niches with solutions very different to those of the 'mainland'.

If your internet connection dials-up as soon as any program tries to connect somewhere, you may want to change the island's connect time to something big: If you're using a script change the number on the right of the -c to the number of minutes between connects, for eg. 360 for 6 hours. If you're using the NT service edit wrapper.conf, the minutes between connect can be set by changing the right hand side of the line starting with wrapper.app.parameter.9.

I hope that this provides a solution for you.

prok

squizzar

I asked a question about the Loyalty Packet and got this response

"I've now replaced this biased stat by one that counts the number of days each island has sent more than one packet.
    Cheers,
    Miguel"

Looks like you only have to let your Island connect twice a day to get full Loyalty Credit.

So what's the point of it?

Why would a project's stats keep track and publish how often you connect?

some bloke sitting at home connecting every couple of days is less 'loyal' than someone with an always-on connection?

Phooey