Thread: Here they come again...again

Exclamation Here they come again...again

Ars are now beating us on the daily and the weekly and as such will be narrowing the narrow gap that we have.

Their top guy is getting up to speed too now so with the other changes to Ars Technica's team it looks like they will roll over us in about 1 month's time.
    Alas poor Borg, I knew it Horatio

http://www.butlersurvey.com/

only due to a single dump by bag'o'needles1

i got 13 of my new 2400+ online last night, now i just have to get the others back online

the recent disappearance of the SoB server means i am going 100% DF on the work boxen for now (well, there is that one 1Ghz P3 on the climate thingy, it has another 8-10 weeks to finish its one work thingy
    Use the right tool for the right job!

they are managing to keep ahead on the weekly #

i got the two crack racks fully operational, thats just a hair under 66 Ghz online at work (more boxen off line, ~20 Ghz)

we gotta stay ahead of 'em !
    Use the right tool for the right job!

Didn't help that rsbriggs smoked his pharm
    Moving some boxen back to DF again.

All boxen except one is now back on DF.
    them puppies!

Blog Entries
    Sounds great!

So, how many Gigahurtz did you add to DF?
    the-mk

Didn't help that rsbriggs smoked his pharm
    I'll make an extra effort to get what I can of it back on line by tonight. Still drying out about 12 Ghz worth.

Looks like I might have lost a couple - about 5 Ghz - for now. Couple M7VIQ/2400+ boards running outside of cases don't seem to want to come back to life after getting wet....
    FreeDC Mercenary

Ohhhh, I dunno, bout ~12-14GHz I guess
    The cablemodem is down at my brother's house, so you may see a big DOWN on my stats until it comes back online.
    But, they are working and building up wus to upload... the longer it's down, the larger the SPIKE/DUMP.

/me sends in the for rsbriggs' pharm.
    I HOPE you get them all back working! Let them dry out real good, don't rush it.

Put a sign on the computer door,
    WARNING, DO NOT USE WATER, GET THE HALON!!!

Can't figure why they would use water on an electrical fire, anyway. Of course they DID cut the power first thing, and I guess the room WAS full of smoke, so they opened the door and used a light spray.

I'd have tried CO2 first, personally. Volunteer fire dept. and all that....
    FreeDC Mercenary

That's GOOD the cut they power first!!!
    That means you need to move the wet mobos just behind the PS of the running ones and let them dry out REAL good. They will all come back when dried out.
    I know for a fact that JTrinkle used to wash his CPUs under the faucet and they always worked.
    Might have to use a hairdryer to get at some of the components, try pulling all the parts off you can, can of air in the memory slots and agp/pci slots to etc, and don't forget the underside
    No more grape koolaid in the PS trick either

Yep, if the power got cut first, I'd think they should all be OK too, once they dry out.

Now, if the power hadn't been cut first, then your pharm would be in about the same state as a friend of mine had his motherboard in when he spilled some ... err, liquid refreshment (the kind with ethanol in it...), all over inside his case. Never booted again...
    "If you fail to adjust your notion of fairness to the reality of the Universe, you will probably not be happy."

-- Originally posted by Paratima

lost in space. Hey who took my bread crumbs. Now I cant find my way home.
    Originally posted by rsbriggs
    I'll make an extra effort to get what I can of it back on line by tonight. Still drying out about 12 Ghz worth.

Looks like I might have lost a couple - about 5 Ghz - for now. Couple M7VIQ/2400+ boards running outside of cases don't seem to want to come back to life after getting wet....
    You could try some TRIC ( tri cloro ethelyne (sp))on the boards to displace and clean up all of the contacts. Just don't breath it. Seems to fry brain cells very easly ( no comments)
    Used a lot of it during my military years.
    grandmother. ver 3.0

You fried brain cells in the Army for a living?

WTF MOS was that?

Agent Smith was right!: "I hate this place. This zoo. This prison. This reality, whatever you want to call it, I can't stand it any longer. It's the smell! If there is such a thing. I feel saturated by it. I can taste your stink and every time I do, I fear that I've somehow been infected by it."

Have to see how it goes. I used to have a business where I built MOBOs. We used water soluable flux, and cleaned them by running them through the dishwasher. (Sans chips in the sockets, of course....)

Main problem is that we have very hard, mineral laden water here, and these days they build boards with incredibly small distances between the contacts and runs. Let a single, small spec of water dry out in the wrong place, and it's a big problem...

edit:

One more up, four left to go, with 2 still looking like they are DOA...

Last edited by rsbriggs; 09-28-2003 at 04:44 PM.
    FreeDC Mercenary

Thinking back, I seem to recall that my last personal, ummmm, *exposure* to TCE was back in the mid 60's.....
    FreeDC Mercenary

Explains a lot, no?