Thread: Major catastrophe with the farm.....

Major catastrophe with the farm.....

I appear to have had a major melt-down with the farm. Door of computer room somehow got shut this morning on a nice sunny day with blinds open and A/C off. Haven't made it home yet, but the wife says that the smoke and such is pretty much cleared out now - just about two hours after the power went out. Fire dept. seems to have used some water, so the room is a total mess....

I won't be able to assess the damage until later tonight, but it doesn't appear that I'll have much running - except a couple of 800 Mhz boxes here at the office - for a while...

edit:

Will have to have a clean up crew come in as well as have an electrician evaluate things before being able to restore power to the room....
    Last edited by rsbriggs; 09-26-2003 at 04:30 PM.
    FreeDC Mercenary

Urgh! Sorry to hear about that. Call in the squad.

Ouch!. Thank god that no one was hurt! Good luck on the clean up and here's to hoping for a quick and painless rebuild.

OMG! Glad you didn't burn down the whole place!

Me too. Erm, however....

/me finds /me wondering if the fire insurance would have replaced the house and furnishings with enough extra left over for a 42" plasma tv and a few dozen new comps...
    FreeDC Mercenary

Blog Entries
    Oh man! That bites! Thank heavens it was only one room and somebody was there to catch it!

I'm just glad no one was hurt!

irc.aknarra.net #lobby
    irc.free-dc.org #free-dc

Free-DC Semi-retire gopher_yarrowzoo's Avatar
    Ouch... well ya always did say ya had machine that could smoke the opposition
    lol.. Hope the damage is erm minimal... might be able to recover a few bits... but as for the Uber dump you could have done... that's out of here...
    Semi-retired from Free-DC...
    I have some time to help.....
    I need a new laptop,but who needs a laptop when you have a phone...
    Now to remember my old computer specs..

Got a PayPal account?

Sorry for the event brother. I've left mine unattended for days/weeks and had that very same fear.

Glad your house and family are ok.

Agent Smith was right!: "I hate this place. This zoo. This prison. This reality, whatever you want to call it, I can't stand it any longer. It's the smell! If there is such a thing. I feel saturated by it. I can taste your stink and every time I do, I fear that I've somehow been infected by it."

lost in space. Hey who took my bread crumbs. Now I cant find my way home.
    Glad to here everyone is safe. BTW I have an xp1800 and XP2000 if you want them to help rebuild your farm.
    grandmother. ver 3.0

WOW ! Bad Luck, dood.

/me checks for warm outlets

er- your wife is still speaking to you, I hope?

What a week! Sounds like the Free-DC karma was run over by a semi/

el crapo!

good luck getting it all cleaned up
    Use the right tool for the right job!

Got a PayPal account?
    BTW I have an xp1800 and XP2000 if you want them to help rebuild your farm.
    Thanks much for the offers everyone, but I'll have to decline here... (My credit is good at NewEgg, Dell, and a few other places, should I need to buy any replacements, but I certainly appreciate the show of support. And of course, the local computer shops are always glad to see me walk in with credit card in hand.)

Looks like something overheated, drew a little too much juice, and a not-so-good connection at one of the wall plug junction boxes sparked and managed to catch some insulation on fire. Lots of smoke, not much damage. It's going to mostly just be a matter of getting stuff dried out, re-connected, and turned back on, hopefully in time for the protein change-over.
    FreeDC Mercenary

Blog Entries
    Oh my god! It's terrible to read something like that!

I hope you and your family are ok and that there isn't too much damage on your computers!

Good luck on cleaning up the whole mess.
    the-mk

Of course we wants PICS!!!

D'oh. I was in such a hurry to get the clean up crew in, and get things going that I didn't take any, and things are mostly back to normal (with the slight exception of some wet carpet, and a couple of disassembled boxen that haven't gone back into their cases yet. ) I've even got the sheetrock repaired - ready for some primer and a matching coat of paint. Should only be a couple more days before all is back to normal....

Wish there was some way to package up that wonderful smell of electrical insulation burning. That seems to still linger even after the application of whatever that deodorizer is that they used when they cleaned the walls and carpet.

And, come to think of it, you've just reminded me that I'm not certain where the digital camera ended up in all this confustion and mess of stuff hastily thrown into boxes. Hmmmm....
    FreeDC Mercenary