Thread: Any news on a AMD64 Linux Client

OCworkbench Stats Ho

Any news on a AMD64 Linux Client

Had to ask, I know you guys and gals are flat out, but as Linux support has been with us a while I was wondering if any decision is pending
    I am not a Stats Ho, it is just more satisfying to see that my numbers are better than yours.

We do not, as yet, have an AMD64 box, so not yet. If you'd like to give us one, we'd be happy to compile on it
    Howard Feldman

we might have to take up a collection
    Use the right tool for the right job!

25/25Mbit is nearly enough :p pointwood's Avatar
    We already got one for Howard

Xyzzy from Ars Technica Team Prime Rib fame started such a thing in the GIMPS forum and they have bought an Opteron for the purpose of getting their client optimized for it. The forum thread is here: http://www.mersenneforum.org/showthr...p?threadid=964

It is running Linux and Howard, you can get easily get access if you're interested?
    Pointwood
    Jabber ID: pointwood@jabber.shd.dk
    irc.arstechnica.com, #distributed

i thought the Athlon64 and Opteron were different
    Use the right tool for the right job!

The difference, IIRC, is comparable to the difference between the Athlon XP and the Athlon MP. The Opteron is supposed to work in an SMP configuration, while the Athlon 64 was supposed to only ever be in single-processor boxes.

Dunno if this is actually true, though.
    "If you fail to adjust your notion of fairness to the reality of the Universe, you will probably not be happy."

-- Originally posted by Paratima

OCworkbench Stats Ho
    The difference is not important, they share the same 64 Bit Instruction Set, thus compile for one is good for the other As it also looks as though Intel may be forced to adopt this Instruction Set, looks like a good time to take advantage of Pointwood's offer...now if only you caould squeeze in an extra hour in that 30 hour day of yours Howard

I am not a Stats Ho, it is just more satisfying to see that my numbers are better than yours.

Umm, I seem to recall the gist of what Howard said was that he needed to have, as in possess, the necessary hardware. I don't think that having access to it is sufficient.

Note the wording: If you'd like to give us one,

Presumably, he'll wander this way before too long and clarify that point.
    HOME: A physical construct for keeping rain off your computers.

On the other hand - we had the Sun? 64 bit df client that turned out to be slower than the 32 bit client. Some of the more detailed 64 bit reviews have mentioned the fact that you actually have to identify WHAT can take advantage of 64 bit code.

There's also claims that the Athlon 64 compilers are less than perfect; and that we're not likely to get polished Athlon 64 compilers until Intel releases the Prescott which will use the same 64 bit extensions as the Athlon 64/Opteron do.
    www.thegenomecollective.com
    Borging.. it's not just an addiction. It's...

25/25Mbit is nearly enough :p pointwood's Avatar
    Paratima: True, but it can't hurt to offer it to him at least

tpdooley: That's also how I understand it - 64bit doesn't neccesarily give you a big advantage.
    Pointwood
    Jabber ID: pointwood@jabber.shd.dk
    irc.arstechnica.com, #distributed

Access to the Opteron is easily arranged... Just email me...

I'm not sure why you all would need physical access, but I'm not a developer so I don't know much...

Yah, if only we have a 64bit Linux client, I can then make full use of my Opteron 142 & A64-3200.

Bump

Howard, is there any progress with the 64-bit client?

Is there money in the budget for a box or should we take up a collection
    to get you one?

Access to the Opteron here is still just an email away...

We have no plans to purchase one at the moment, sorry. And as Ive said before, I doubt the code would benefit from it as-is anyways.
    Howard Feldman

I tried helping out - by asking AMD if they're willing to donate a machine and 64bit optimization coding experts' time. (If the 64 bit client doesn't end up faster than the 32 bit client - then there's no reason to use it - and the AMD 64 bit coders have had a lot more practice identifying what parts of programs benefit from 64 bitness) So far, I've been moved to the PR department; and then transfered to a gentleman that deals with the 64 bit PR work (although he's out for the week). Guess I'll get called or call him back on Monday.

Here's a little hope for the future.. Pathscale's AMD64 bit compiler - although I/we know the dangers of switching compilers.. *grin*

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=12749

I also have a Opteron 240(single), a e-mail away ( matrix_fan@sbcglobal.net )

OCworkbench Stats Ho
    I cannot see why we cannot have the source compiled by an expert to see if it does provide any worthwhile gain...copyright and protection of the source is Howard's main concern I imagine Like AMD person or the people working on the new Compiler. I am sure Pathscale would love to experiment with a real world application to see if it can benefit

Yeah, BUT... As Howard & Dr. Hogue have pointed out before (other threads, long lost), they have fiduciary responsibilities and other strange diseases that prevent very much in the way of code-sharing.
    Even with an "impartial expert".
    Even with an NDA.
    Even on Tuesdays!

When it's possible, it'll happen.
    HOME: A physical construct for keeping rain off your computers.

OCworkbench Stats Ho
    Best to make the boat you are in faster and less leaky than worry about if the other boat looks prettier

I think I need to find a job at AMD's 64 bit PR department.. "oh, he's out for this week on vacation." Now I get the message that he was in for a bit this week, and he's out till Dec 1st.

*snicker*