Thread: Progress reporting

Post Progress reporting

Just something I saw posted on the official forum that people might find useful, as it doesn't seem to be mentioned anywhere obvious.

The client reports progress to the server every 10820 timesteps if an internet connection is available.

I have infact joined the team, but have not crunched 10820 timesteps yet, so I don't show on the stats.

Sheesh, you have to really dig for details in this project.

If after 10820 timesteps you have no available internet connection, the client tries to report progress every subsequent 144 timesteps until successful.

I'm finally approaching my first 10820 timesteps, it would be nice to appear on the stats.

It would be nice if they supported other platforms as well

Congrats and Save The Earth Alpha!!

Agent Smith was right!: "I hate this place. This zoo. This prison. This reality, whatever you want to call it, I can't stand it any longer. It's the smell! If there is such a thing. I feel saturated by it. I can taste your stink and every time I do, I fear that I've somehow been infected by it."

Chinasaur, indeed. I hope nobody takes this the wrong way, but I get the idea that the underlying code is a big huge mess. It has been mentioned on the official forums that the model may be "unstable" on slow(er) machines - circa 600MHz. They seem to think that it is okay for the client not to work on slow machines, instead of just crunching slowly. Something doesn't seem right to me. I think 'iffy' is the word I'm looking for.

The project line is that the underlying code is 500,000 lines of Fortran, compiled with a Compaq fortran compiler for Windows. I understood (but can't find the post) that the code is a mainframe application borrowed from the UK Met Office, or some such thing.

This forum post by one of the project heads is probably the best explanation so far of where they are at with client development.

Release All Zigs!

Post About...

Seems to be about once a day roughly that the client reports in for me. This is running 24/7.

I want to run one one full model and then I'll see if I want to continue running it, or maybe switch back to DF or SETI, or see if there is something else I want to play with. =)

My main complaint is that when you go in the "decorations" mode, its very unintuitive what the tools/buttons do, esp. as there are no pop-overs to tell you. It'd be nice if you could specify actual numbers for tilt and rotations. I thought they would have fixed this before they were out of the beta, but apparently they haven't really done much with this aspect of it. I wonder if this is the UKOffice portion of it. If it is, well, that's gotta be an ugly package.

Anyhoo, now that I have a job again, I can afford to run the computer all the time. The other computer (which is the wife's) needs some new stuff before it is stable enough to run 24/7 with a DC project. Might build another system for X-mas... I feel the need for speed. =)

Best,

RuneStar½

P.S. When are you gonna get some rankings and a section up for the CPDN project, Dyr??
    The SETI TechDesk
    http://egroups.com/group/SETI_techdesk
    ~Your source for astronomy news and resources~