Thread: Please Wait Till Monday for Up-Date

Please Wait Till Monday for Up-Date

I feel this topic is important enough to deserve it's own thread:

Please wait until Monday to up-date the Protein.. Most of my team(what's left) are in Europe, and Friday creates a real problem if things don't go smooth...

Hell, I'm still uploading 2 days ago's work because to the "upload problem"

Anyone else agree?....(I know many do).....Thanks!!!!
    Too many computers, too little time......

Agreed.

Preach it Brother Haven

Agreed
    Alas poor Borg, I knew it Horatio

http://www.butlersurvey.com/

agreed

Monday makes a lot more sense than Friday, IMHO....
    FreeDC Mercenary

Ol' retired IT geezer

Angry Monday ? NOT

- on soapbox -

I for one disagree with the notion of changing the changeover date/time at all. In fact, I think Howard should have stuck with the original Thurs. at 11:00 am EST timetable, especially when the problem with the uploads was fixed on Tuesday. Everyone was scheduling their uploads to the Thursday deadline, there was ample time to perform the upload, and the project team had their end all scheduled for execution.

With the changeover rescheduled for Friday, now all offline folders have to rework their personal schedules to delay their uploads and/or to perform their uploads yet again. The project had to reschedule their ends work.

AND NOW YOU WANT TO DO THIS AGAIN !!!!!

I can see your reasons for asking for the changes. In fact, Friday is more inconvenient for me as well. But from a project point of view (and I worked on plenty!!!) and I suspect from the majority of all other DF'ers who could have done their uploads quit handily in the Tuesday thru Thursday timeframe, its damn inconvenient !!!!

- off soapbox -

Ned

Ned, I hear what you're saying regarding the original decision to postpone since it was only a small percentage of folders affected but on the other hand I wonder what percentage would be affected by having to schedule a new uplaod on Monday? Compare that to the possibility of something going wrong with the changeover just before a weekend and the number of poeple affected should it then last until Monday.

Unless Howard intends to be standing by all weekend, doing a major change on a Friday is an unnecessary risk to the project.

Ned, I beg to differ.

The upload problem was not resolved until Wednesday 19:00GMT.......... Fozzie can confirm this as we were both pulling our respective hair out for more then 24 hours....

Ned

the upload issue wasn't fixed until Wednesday. I feel Howard was correct to postpone the changeover given it was scheduled for today.

Now I don't know how many WUs you produce but I think unless you know what it's like using alot of offline boxen you are not in a position to understand the impact of the problem.

So Howard quite rightly moved the changeover due to the build up of WUs that people need uploading.

Now another issue has been raised and those effected quite rightly raise it.

Those online will just fold on those offline have a far better day to reschedule.

The project overall may drop a couple of days behind but no-one seems to be in a significant hurry as we would have changed quite a while ago.

FWIW - Friday is never a good day for an upgrade. This fact, and the reasons why, have been stated before by various people in these forums. While it does provide the weekend for people to take care of the switch-over as an advantage, there are over-riding disadvantages if anything goes wrong, and something invariably does.

I'd vote with the people wanting to postpone from Friday to Monday personally, but all my work is done on-line, and it doesn't matter too terribly much to me one way or another.
    FreeDC Mercenary

Ol' retired IT geezer
    Halo,

I think most of my argument still stands. If there is a Monday changeover, a lot of off-line folders will be spending weekend time uploading their end-of-week and weekend DF work in order to maximise their output. If they change it again at all, I'd just skip Monday and jump to Tueday .

Fozzie, Rebels Haven,

I stand corrected on the server fix time... Memory doesn't always serve me correctly. But it still seems to me that your require a lot of time to do your upload. Perhaps better automation it required to reduce your time.
    -----

I very much agree that Friday is a risky time for changeover. In fact that topic was under discussion when I first jointed the project (and code was even more questionable), and then Tuesday was deemed the best day for changeover.

I suspect Thursday was chosen because the project team wanted to be best prepared for changeover. Perhaps if their testing has gone well, they are quite confident that Friday will be smooth. However, like you, Halo, I suspect Howard had better cancel any concrete plans he has for the weekend.

Its tough to guess the project manager thinking. But if they do change it, they should pick Tuesday, not Monday.

Ned

Un-fortunately the Island I live on has only phone lines, and we're lucky to have that! So faster is never gonna' happen for me.

I ran around for a day with about 4000 gens on a spare hard drive, looking how to up-load. My mainland job has a T1 line and even that didn't go yesterday.......

Well, what ever happens, we will all bare with it..... We've come this far, which says something about the people that we are......

Update will proceed Friday as scheduled. Servers seem to be working fine now. Please note the web server died on Tues night here, any earlier problems are/were caused by other factors and are still present in all likelihood. We are working on a new backend to hopefully improve this.

We apologize to our European friends for any inconvenience but remind you that updates are automatic and do not require your attention (except if we mess up ). We will extend the upload grace period an extra 48 hrs, i.e. 72 hrs for full credit and 96 hrs for half credit so you can upload old stuff on Monday still for full credit if you have to.
    Howard Feldman

Thumbs up Top stuff

That's perfect for me, we get on with the project and no-one irrespective of their geographic location or bandwidth should lose out.

Nice one DF Team

Thumbs up

Super Howard, the time extension will help my guys!...

Thnx Howard

I've posted the same question earlier in a different topic.
    The only thing i don't like so much is that if i upload monday my old stuff, that although it's given fuly credit for, the data is still infact useless. So i'm only in it for the stats and not the scientific perspective.
    Member of the Los Alcoholicos

So, Howard, question for one of you there - is the science still useful on the Monday uploads, or not?
    FreeDC Mercenary

Originally posted by rsbriggs
    So, Howard, question for one of you there - is the science still useful on the Monday uploads, or not?
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is that the current DF server setup can only collect data for one protein at a time. Thus, once the server is set up for the new protein, it can't save data for the last one.

Could you put up the new client for download a couple of hours before the change ?
    The autoupdate usually messes up things for me.

(boy am I late with this)

LOL

I wouldn't mind the client to download now so I can update all the offline boxen here, before leaving for home for the weekend.

Would love to have them running over the weekend but them's the breaks for being in Europe and not the other side of The Pond.

Ditto here in the states!

Look at us!

First we don't want it...

Then we don't want it even more!...

Now we want it early!....

Had it been left for Thursday, it would have just worked out....Who Knew?

Talking Yeah but as you say

who could of known that the upload issue would be sorted so quickly once they got onto it.

Always best to err on the side of caution.

I think I can put up with the lost weekend.

Gives the people chasing me a little sniff of the carrot before it is once again pulled away.

I'll just have to find a box or 3 to make up for it.

So when Howard says 11:00am does that mean that's when the changeover process starts or finishes?

When it starts.

If your clients are running online, they will be updated automatically at 11 am or soon after.

I have few systems folding here, but they will get updated via my own webserver that already has all necessary updates downloaded by Deamon.

You couldn't

PM me a link matey?

and it promptly started at 11am EST. let's hope it goes smoothly.

Yup!

Server currently offline.

As soon as it's back online, update will start.
    Last edited by iggy; 10-03-2003 at 11:49 AM.