Thread: New computer

New computer

wohoooooooO!!!
    i got the job where i did my stage.
    im so happy, so im planning to change my computer.
    im wanna something fast distributedfolding.

ive checked and im thinking for a dual amd mp 2600+ or a single intel p4 2.8 HT.

which one should i take ?
    i need to go up in distributedfolding'stat

thanks for recommendation.

Most of the dual Athlon MP motherboards require registered ram which has a slight performance hit vs normal ram - so a dual Athlon MP 2600+ system won't equal the performance of 2 standard Axp 2600+ systems using normal ram. Someone that ran a dually during Phase I and compared the daily output of the dually to a standalone Axp cpu system could give their experiences - but you might be looking at a dual MP system being about 1.8 to 1.9 times the performance of a standalone Axp system.

The HT on the Intel processors doesn't double the performance of the cpu for DF; and if I remember correctly (please correct me) those that run two DF clients on a Hyperthreading system noticed - at best - about a 10% improvement over just running a single client (and may have done a little worse). HT is best used with 2 applications that use different areas of the cpu, rather than 2 copies of the same thing that will fight over the same cpu resources.

I'd opt for the dual AMD system - or two single AMD cpu systems and help the underdog provide us with a better alternative to Intel's cpus. I'm biased.. and freely admit that. And I have fewer problems with my AMD systems running win98se than I do with the P4s running WinXP.
    www.thegenomecollective.com
    Borging.. it's not just an addiction. It's...

OCworkbench Stats Ho
    I have a Dual MP 2400. There is too much overhead from the system fighting for ram access. Each 2400 runs around the speed of a single 1800XP. Get 2 AMD Cpus, a KVM switch ( 4 Port Recommended Minimum) and build 2 Folding Boxes. There are good cheap Motherboards out there with the lot on them. Asrock have a new one ( K7VM4 I think )based on the KM400 Chipset, and I believe it has Multiplier adjustment on the board..this will allow you to overclock the CPU slightly for increased output. If you are going to run windoze put 512 MB on each . Plenty of other mATX out there like Biostar ...
    I am not a Stats Ho, it is just more satisfying to see that my numbers are better than yours.

There several nForce2 boards that are in the $65-$70US price range now.. My fav is the Shuttle AN35/N It's an Ultra 400, but you don't have to run Dual Channel..

Recently had the board running at FSB=250 with GEIL PC4200 memory...

The ASRock K7S8XE is another winner... A little slower then the nForce2, but it's a super board for $65US....
    Too many computers, too little time......

like i wanna just one computer, i wont opt for 2 boxes, ive not enough space here. i really just want just 1 box.

i`ll continue to compare prices, but i'll probably choose the dual mp 2600+.

with ram at 333, i think, i'll be oky.

later.