Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Full Windows Package

Question Full Windows Package

If the full version of the client is not being released straight away.

Is there a way I can make up the necessary "bits" to push out to my machines?

They are all no net.
    Alas poor Borg, I knew it Horatio

http://www.butlersurvey.com/

I'm supprised they didn't post the Windows version first!...We'll just have to wait...:sleepy:
    Too many computers, too little time......

I read their announcement to mean that the update form the previous protein is online, but a complete new Windows install package is not yet available.

I've had at least one W2K text client auto-update so far.

there is one XP machine in my office that has auto-updated already.
    the native.val is 32k i think and its dated 10/2/2003
    Driving home the sky accelerates and the clouds all form a geometric shape.

The client is at full 100% during the first 10,000 structures. No more pauses!

If a Windows-Autoupdate someone, could catch the "distribfold-update.exe" before it gets deleted, and post it, we could all get up-dated...

Originally posted by Angus
    I read their announcement to mean that the update form the previous protein is online, but a complete new Windows install package is not yet available.
    Yes, that is exactly right
    Elena Garderman

It is easy to update just one system and copy relevant files to all others.

Here is the full Win client generated after one client sucessfuly updated. DFGui 3.1 is already inside. Protein size is 64.

Just enter your handle.

Happy folding!

Does that mean that the windows program itself hasn't been updated ?
    It is just processing a new protein?
    Is there going to be an auto-update again for the windows machine, or do we have to download the package?

Greets Thor

No; your auto update on Windows is fine--- Its only if you were wanting a fresh install that you need to wait

Nice to know that my update is fine...
    sometimes things are hard to understand when english is not your native language even though I lived in the US for one year...

Originally posted by HaloJones
    The client is at full 100% during the first 10,000 structures. No more pauses!
    I cannot confirm that.
    On my Win2k machine it seems even worse than before in gen 0 I'll try to post a picture...

Greets Thor

Edit: Here is the picture..

you can even see it sometimes when running dfgui with progress update and refresh rate set to 1
    it sometimes says:" the client seems to be running but hasn't produced any output yet" (did I remember that right?)
    Last edited by Thor; 10-03-2003 at 05:40 PM.

Have you adjusted the priority or something? On my machine, taskmanager shows 100% straight across in gen 0, and has for the last 20 minutes....
    FreeDC Mercenary

Nope, didn't make any changes to my setup....
    dfgui says client prority: 20 as before the protein change and the task manger shows low prority as well....but that is as before, too

No other apps catching procesing time, execpt for "idle"

Greets Thor

I got a Windows encountered a problem and needs to close this program error at the second generation. Restarted the client and it's at generation 19 now with no crash.
    That's why I don't like autoupdates and I'd rather have a fresh install.
    ETA on the full Windows client ?

edit: neat, checking the error log for the service, now I also have lots of "Warning during upload: STATUS 910 MISSING PREVIOUS OR ILLEGAL GENERATION"
    I'm taking a brake till the full version gets out.
    Last edited by Admiral; 10-03-2003 at 06:14 PM.

Thor, if it's any consolation I have exactly the same problem as you with the cpu usage. One hopes that a solution is found soon.
    Shocked....

I'm running 18 machines and I too am having a varity of problems with this new "auto-updated" client....

Just found one sitting near the beginning of the "10K Run" saying it's waiting to upload!...

@Rebels Haven-
    When they did the protein changeover, I had some clients catch the new protein, but it seemed that they couldn't upload (maybe the upload server was briefly down?) Anyway, those clients froze up, until I was able to get them to upload the results from the old protein. Don't know if that's what happened to you or not, but you might try forcing an upload and see if that clears it.

Boinc'ing away
    anyone know when the full CLI version for Windows will be available - the one on the site is still the old protein

We will post the final Windows package tomorrow (Tuesday) if it passes our tests OK today.
    Howard Feldman

Talking Cheers Howard

So tomorrow Toronto style or something we Europeans can get stuck into before the end of the working day?

We have had some trouble with it crashing on one of our test machines but I suspect it is the machine and not the code (works fine on Linux after all ) I've put up the updated binary (EXE only) here:

ftp://ftp.mshri.on.ca/pub/distribfol...ldtrajlite.zip

So please try it out (you still need to get the new protein through auto-update though). If I don't hear any major problems by tomorrow I'll post the full package in the normal location on the Downloads page.

thanks
    Howard Feldman

Thumbs up Thanks

I'll bung it on one or two to run overnight see how it goes.

========================[ Oct 7, 2003 9:30 PM ]========================
    Starting foldtrajlite built Oct 7 2003
    Tue Oct 07 21:30:46 2003 ERROR: [001.001] {foldtrajlite2.c, line 7026} A newer version of the client is needed, please download an update from http://www.distributedfolding.org/

========================[ Oct 7, 2003 9:30 PM ]========================
    Tue Oct 07 21:30:58 2003 ERROR: [001.001] {foldtrajlite2.c, line 7026} A newer version of the client is needed, please download an update from http://www.distributedfolding.org/
    Size: 2.90 MB (3,043,328 bytes)
    Modified: Today, October 07, 2003, 10:53:40 AM

Do you have the new native.val from October 2nd ?

about the new version:
    This version here runs for 6 hours without any problems by now.

Originally posted by ^7_of_9
    Size: 2.90 MB (3,043,328 bytes)
    Modified: Today, October 07, 2003, 10:53:40 AM
    You have an old protein.trj probably. You need to let the old version auto-update to the new protein, THEN overwrite the EXE. Alternatively you can grab the correct protein.trh and native.val and sspred.val from another package, like from Linux.
    Howard Feldman

For some reason the old one refused to update (it continously crashed when trying to update or said there was no updates available), so I just copied an exisiting installation from another machine over and cleared the filelist and all the other stuff that wasn't needed and it went fine then.

I've tried the new client yesterday but wasn't able to post earlier.
    Everything went ok, no errors seen whilte trying the client out
    (Windows XP on a AMD athlon XP 1800+)
    The error.log

========================[ Oct 7, 2003 8:45 PM ]========================

========================[ Oct 7, 2003 8:46 PM ]========================

========================[ Oct 7, 2003 8:47 PM ]========================

All my work/point were showing up in the stats.
    Member of the Los Alcoholicos

Running fine for me on a Pentium III with Win2K.
    HOME: A physical construct for keeping rain off your computers.

Datestamps are a thing of beauty when you have wated this long for them

Wed Oct 08 15:02:19 2003 ERROR: [000.000] {foldtrajlite2.c, line 4693} Error during upload: NO RESPONSE FROM SERVER - WILL TRY AGAIN LATER
    Wed Oct 08 15:08:04 2003 ERROR: [000.000] {foldtrajlite2.c, line 4693} Error during upload: NO RESPONSE FROM SERVER - WILL TRY AGAIN LATER
    Wed Oct 08 15:10:51 2003 ERROR: [000.000] {foldtrajlite2.c, line 4693} Error during upload: NO RESPONSE FROM SERVER - WILL TRY AGAIN LATER
    Wed Oct 08 15:14:29 2003 ERROR: [000.000] {foldtrajlite2.c, line 4693} Error during upload: NO RESPONSE FROM SERVER - WILL TRY AGAIN LATER
    Wed Oct 08 15:19:43 2003 ERROR: [000.000] {foldtrajlite2.c, line 4693} Error during upload: NO RESPONSE FROM SERVER - WILL TRY AGAIN LATER

Boinc'ing away
    hmmm - are the date + timestamps on every entry?

heres mine from the earlier downtime:

Code:
    ERROR: [000.000] {foldtrajlite2.c, line 4616} Error during upload: NO RESPONSE FROM SERVER - WILL TRY AGAIN LATER
    ERROR: [000.000] {foldtrajlite2.c, line 4616} Error during upload: NO RESPONSE FROM SERVER - WILL TRY AGAIN LATER
    why no timestamps? (this is from an auto-updated client)...and why is the line number different?

even odder - the .exe in the .zip file posted has a different filesize to the one I have from my auto-updated PCs:

.exe size I have: 2.88 MB (3,026,944 bytes)
    .exe size in .zip: 2.90 MB (3,043,328 bytes)

Did the autoupdate contain that new .exe? If it did why haven't my 3 Windows PCs got the new .exe (my Linux PC has)...?

Anyone else's autoupdated .exe different to the one in the .exe? Or is it me?

Also, are there other changes in the .exe which could be affecting my Folding? The 'whatsnew.txt' doesn't mention any changes at all (not even the date + timestamps in the log...)

/edit - just put the new version on one of the Windows PCs to see if there is any difference...

timestamps are not in the auto-update exe. you have to install the new .exe that is discussed in this thread. since it is a different exe that is why the line numbers would be different.

Boinc'ing away
    It's a bit odd that the Windows auto-update didn't have it yet the others did...as long as the only difference is the timestamp facility...

Originally posted by pfb
    It's a bit odd that the Windows auto-update didn't have it yet the others did...as long as the only difference is the timestamp facility...
    Is it not also a bit odd that days pass without the full Win package being released and yet there is not call for us out in the trenches to test it to see if it is the package or Howard's machine?

You mean like in this same thread, page 1, 5th post from the bottom? That is to say, here ?

And no, that's not the only change. Sheesh, don't you guys keep up?

Boinc'ing away
    Originally posted by Paratima

And no, that's not the only change. Sheesh, don't you guys keep up?
    What other changes than the timestamp + version printing in the error.log are there? There's nothing in the 'whatsnew.txt' nor can I see any on the DF site...

Sorry, pfb, we post WAY too many inquiries to this forum, WAY too fast for me to keep up with!

However, at least one other item that changed was the subject of this thread .

Boinc'ing away
    Originally posted by Paratima
    Sorry, pfb, we post WAY too many inquiries to this forum, WAY too fast for me to keep up with!

However, at least one other item that changed was the subject of this thread .
    that's ok - just trying to see what (if anything) is different - especially as there isn't any info in the whatsnew.txt file...

as far as I understand, howard hasn't posted the new package to the main webserver yet, we have only seen the exe as we he asked us to find problems with it, because he had an issue with it. since we have just seen the .exe we and not the whole package, we don't have an updated whatsnew.txt file to look at yet.

of course I can be wrong and it could be way to early in the morning for me to be reading and replying

Boinc'ing away
    Originally posted by DocWardo
    as far as I understand, howard hasn't posted the new package to the main webserver yet, we have only seen the exe as we he asked us to find problems with it, because he had an issue with it. since we have just seen the .exe we and not the whole package, we don't have an updated whatsnew.txt file to look at yet.

of course I can be wrong and it could be way to early in the morning for me to be reading and replying
    but the Linux package was updated - well, the executable I have on my Linux box is up-to-date and producing the extra info in the log so why doesn't the Linux 'whatsnew.txt' cover that?

Not bothered - just curious

Here's the whatsnew. It was not included in the package updates due to the fact that I forgot to update it before making the packages It will be there for the next update though of course.

10/03/2003

- Changed delays to sleeps (that dont use CPU time)
    - Improved messages when auto-update fails
    - Fatal errors will not print to screen in quiet
    mode anymore
    - Fixed bug in patch downloading - will try ALL
    mirrors now before giving up (if first one fails
    for example)
    - Time stamps should appear on all logged error
    messages now
    - A message is printed to error log on startup
    giving build date, to aid debugging
    Howard Feldman

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast