Thread: Problem with new client

Problem with new client

My computer crashed today, while I was out. When I returned and switched it back on, my disks were automatically checked by windows. After a while a message appeared that the size of the .val file of gen 156 was incorrect. I then opened dfgui and lo and behold, 156 was my current generation. After I stopped and started the client again it started with gen. 0 again. I know of at least one friend who has encountered the same problem. Is there a way to remedy this?
    It's not laughter, or language that separates man from beast, it's his ability for incompetence

Run an operating system that uses journalled filesystems? AKA, anything other than Win9x.

(/me ducks)

Alternatively, you could just make your computer not crash while updating the metadata for the .val files.

Unfortunately, I can't (seriously) think of anything good...
    "If you fail to adjust your notion of fairness to the reality of the Universe, you will probably not be happy."

-- Originally posted by Paratima

Did you let windows repair the file size?
    I know from the time I still had win98 I never let it repair the file size and DF just resumed as normal.
    Only thing was that that was with the old client so if it still works I dont know.
    Nofinger
    ...See you at the Windmills!!

Proud Member of The Genome Collective

No, I didn't let windows repair the file. I kind of automatically stopped and restarted the client. Will try if it happens again.
    It's not laughter, or language that separates man from beast, it's his ability for incompetence