dust...

we seem to be spanking those arsteknicka dudes
    Use the right tool for the right job!

Blog Entries
    Yup! Looks like they are toast.
    Attached Images Attached Images

irc.aknarra.net #lobby
    irc.free-dc.org #free-dc

They are only 70M behind...that's nothing.
    Agent Smith was right!: "I hate this place. This zoo. This prison. This reality, whatever you want to call it, I can't stand it any longer. It's the smell! If there is such a thing. I feel saturated by it. I can taste your stink and every time I do, I fear that I've somehow been infected by it."

Blog Entries
    I guess it depends on which side of the window you are looking on.

I like to focus on the fact that we are ahead of them, so I guess I would say that my glass is half full.

irc.aknarra.net #lobby
    irc.free-dc.org #free-dc

We have almost doubled our lead in the last week. This new protein is GOOD!

they aren't getting closer on the weekly rate, we are widening the gap on the weeklies, they can't catch up unless they increase their production, which they are not doing

BTW. i had to take 15 boxen offline to do "real" work

luckily only 3 of them were 2Ghz boxen and i can probably still run DF offline on them on weekends
    Last edited by FoBoT; 10-10-2003 at 01:27 PM.

Thumbs up Almost pimp time as i see it.

They closed an 80 million gap last time on a FPP so we aren't to safe.

Good thing is that there are lots of newer higher profile DC projects that are tempting them away.

It's the lowest number of active crunchers they have had on DF for a long time.

Whilst we have several of our DF'ers now on other projects ful time we have several people back to DF, swings and roundabouts for us.

Go team whip them puppies lets hit a 100 million gap.
    Alas poor Borg, I knew it Horatio

http://www.butlersurvey.com/

Blog Entries
    What's nice about this team, is those former crunchers who are testing different waters come back to support us here when we need it.

Gotta love that teamwork!

irc.aknarra.net #lobby
    irc.free-dc.org #free-dc

Minister of Misinformation magicfan241's Avatar
    There also is a S||B gauntlet going on right now.

They also getting in a tizzy about losing LL first with TPR. Don't expect to see "full" production from the TSF guys for at least a little while.

SO WHIP THEM PUPPIES ON THIS FAST PROTEIN SO THEY HAVE TO WORK HARDER TO CATCH UP!!!!!

Blog Entries
    Originally posted by magicfan241

SO WHIP THEM PUPPIES ON THIS FAST PROTEIN SO THEY HAVE TO WORK HARDER TO CATCH UP!!!!!
    What he said!

irc.aknarra.net #lobby
    irc.free-dc.org #free-dc

Re: Almost pimp time as i see it.

Originally posted by Fozzie
    ... a FPP so we aren't to safe.
    i don't think they can effectively use the FPP too frequently, people on other projects might get grumpy and the people on the site that don't do DC at all might get irritated

i am not afeared of them!

@Fobot: If they FPP one more time, I as the leader of Team Crab Cake will complain about the overuse of the FPP. Time to find a few more computers to use....

@Fobot: If they FPP one more time, I as the leader of Team Crab Cake will complain about the overuse of the FPP. Time to find a few more computers to use....
    Well that's complete irresponsible of you!!! Frankly I've deliberately waited a long amount of time between pimpages, and no-one else has done any recently. There is nothing wrong with periodic pimpages, and for awhile we were talking about a weekly frontpage article on Arstechnica's front page which would pimp a different particular Arstechnica DC project each time. I have to strongly question your motivation for such a complaint. Other teams have ample opportunity to arrange for front page articles, but their team members don't bother to write them. Such articles also serve to make new Arstechnica members aware of our distributed computing projects and get people involved again when they lost interest in the old project they were participating in.

If you want to make a formal debate on this subject where I can would ordinarily view it, go ahead, but I don't see how its a legitimate argument. Other individuals periodicly have issued front page pimpages in the past and the main limitation is that most people are not willing to go to the trouble and write up a complete article promoting their team. Basicly I fail to see why you haven't bothered to write more articles promoting TCC if you wish to help your team grow.
    Last edited by Aegion; 10-10-2003 at 07:30 PM.
    A member of TSF http://teamstirfry.net/

Well, I try to find a good reason to put up something like that. I PERSONALLY feel that a close race is not a very good reason to do a pimp.

For me, the only reason I would even think of posting would be a new project at Grid.org (which should happen in the next few months), or a client update (i.e. MAJOR, like fixing the leak bug that killed oh so many borgs)

I might have my opinion of FPP's set too high, but I think one every couple of months, and by the way, the Food court was put up a week or so ago.

I feel that if you need to post to achieve something that it should be last ditch. In this project, there is no teams forum, but I personally fell that Ars, Free-dc and a couple of other teams should keep a thread in a forum of that sort before resorting to, what I feel is a desperate measure.

You might hate my opinion, but I feel that way.

Some people take things too seriously

Well, I try to find a good reason to put up something like that. I PERSONALLY feel that a close race is not a very good reason to do a pimp.
    I never said that such a reason would be the focus of the news story. It also certainly has been the reason for similar postings in the past such as during the race with HardOCP in Genome@home. Team accomplishments certainly qualify in my book. Note, if you're suggesting that a DC news story should only be posted every couple of months, I have to question why you didn't take issue with the weekly DC update idea when it was proposed and actually implemented for a few weeks. One other factor is that I add additional content to the front page since I write the articles by myself with miminal edditing if any from the designated people at Arstechnica. I'd think that Caesar would be the person who would ordinarily have the right and responsibily for deciding whether news articles are appropriate for the Arstechnica front page news.
    Last edited by Aegion; 10-10-2003 at 07:49 PM.

@Aegion: I was not here when such a system existed. I only came around in July of 02. So, while I would not have agreed with a system like that, but as I was not around, I did not have to worry about that.

I guess I am just a sorry ass of a team leader. I think I'll just let the web site fall back into where i was

<control-A><delete>

@Aegion: I was not here when such a system existed. I only came around in July of 02. So, while I would not have agreed with a system like that, but as I was not around, I did not have to worry about that.

I guess I am just a sorry ass of a team leader. I think I'll just let the web site fall back into where i was

<control-A><delete>
    I feel you are used to the fewer DC articles which have been posted in the past year, and unaware about how many used to get posted as front page news. I believe the primary reason fewer have been posted recently is that other team leaders have not gone to the trouble of writting them Incidentally, most DC client changes are problematic as front page news stories because often only people familiar with the project will understand what the addition of a new feature means.

Did I accidently get into the wrong forum?

i am afraid my thread inadvertently ruffled some feathers

Blog Entries
    I think we have gone somewhat

irc.aknarra.net #lobby
    irc.free-dc.org #free-dc

It's like the U.N. At least, they're talking...
    HOME: A physical construct for keeping rain off your computers.

LOL @ Paratima
    "So utterly at variance is destiny with all the little plans of men." - H.G. Wells

"i am afraid my thread inadvertently ruffled some feathers "

A feather duster

has been eaten by a grue.
    Actually, this thread reminds me of why I like DC, DF and Free-DC. Where else could two leam leaders have a discussion about what is appropriate on another web page on the forum of another team?

Granted, I wasn't quite expecting a discussion of Ars teams and FPP on Ars with my morning coffee, but I wasn't expecting California to really elect an actor, either.

(And, if anyone cares, I read Ars daily, and while I like reading about the different DC teams, more than one article on the different teams every month or so starts to feel pushy.)

I'm neither a member of free-dc or ars, but dont see what the problem with fpp is.

1) it means that more work is done towards distributed folding

and

2) The whole point of having teams is to add an element of compettion to distributed computing, and the aim in folding for a team is to try and get that team as high as possible in the rankings, by whatever means possible (without cheating of course ).

People dont moan if someone uses more than one box, so whats the problem with asking for a liitle help on the the teams homepage?

just my 2p's worth.

...oh and i dont mean this to be personal against anyone, i just can't quite undertstand why people are getting so wound up about it

Wink Nice 1 Jonnyw

You're right at the end of the day the project wins.

Ars may have shown themselves to be weedy pidgeons but that's by the way. j/k

Free DC =

Ars =

Now where's that extra large spoon of mine

Fozzie

Have you actually checked the Stats over the last couple of days ?

Question No

I don't check at the weekends it depresses me too much.

I see them Arsians have put 5 million back on us over the las day or 2.

A few of our crunchers must be building up some uber dumps.

Either that or they are looking at other projects.

We wouldn't want to whoop Ars too badly it might discourage them.

In case ya missed it, another Front-Page Pimpage has occurred.

http://arstechnica.com/archive/news/1065934339.html
    HOME: A physical construct for keeping rain off your computers.

Not half bad - actually that was very nicely done. Can't fault them on that FPP. Guess that things might get a little tough again for a couple of weeks...
    FreeDC Mercenary