Thread: EON2 Project is DEAD

EON2 Project is DEAD

The last Free-DC participants on EON2 were myself, rcoulter, Andy Brady and e0n_mouse. At the end, there were only 12,747 participants worldwide, with only a tiny fraction of those being active, which for a BOINC project is pretty sparse. The project's lack of popularity undoubtedly contributed to its demise.

Anyway, with no notice, EON2, the BOINC rebirth of the old EON direct-connect project is at an end. I emailed Dr. Graeme Henkelman, the project's originator and driving force with a "What's up?" and he replied with a belated thanks and the message that the project has ended. Evidently, the support costs for keeping the project running under BOINC exceeded the payback. Graeme's message, with links to the derivative scientific papers is linked here.

Unfortunately, but perhaps inevitably, this seems to be the way most DC projects end: POOF - gone! The scientists involved get too busy with "the next big thing" to pay much attention to DCers who may well have sculpted their systems and networks to accommodate particular projects. Oh, well. So Bok, EON2 can be put in mothballs, like the original EON and we, too will move along.

Bok / gopher, if you think there's a more appropriate place for this post, please feel free to move it. Paratima
    HOME: A physical construct for keeping rain off your computers.

Free-DC Semi-retire gopher_yarrowzoo's Avatar
    Thanks for the heads up and also the dedication to the project... I'll let Bok decide if it needs moved... I have hardware issues of my own
    Semi-retired from Free-DC...
    I have some time to help.....
    I need a new laptop,but who needs a laptop when you have a phone...
    Now to remember my old computer specs..

Wake Forest, North Carolina, United States
    Blog Entries
    I'm not really a fan of marking projects as archived at all, but I'll switch off the checking of it.

Thanks, guys. You're the greatest!
    HOME: A physical construct for keeping rain off your computers.