Thread: Interesting error

Interesting error

Ofcourse I used the search but the only thread I found was this one and that doesn't cover my problem.

[Fri Oct 17 13:29:16 2003] got proth test from server (k=5359, n=4764942)
    [Fri Oct 17 13:30:28 2003] internal computation error [sumout error]! check your memory/processor. test will restart in 5 minutes.
    [Fri Oct 17 13:31:11 2003] block processing paused
    [Fri Oct 17 13:34:29 2003] got k and n from cache
    [Fri Oct 17 13:34:29 2003] restarting proth test from cache (k=5359, n=4764942) [0.0%]
    [Fri Oct 17 13:35:14 2003] internal computation error [sumout error]! check your memory/processor. test will restart in 5 minutes.
    [Fri Oct 17 13:36:36 2003] block processing paused

I had this on one box. I reinstalled the client, but that was of no avail. I finally checked another box and it had the same errorlogs.

What could have caused this and more importantly how am I going to fix this?

TIA.
    Proud member of the Dutch Power Cows

I think the sumout error is what you get when your processor fails due to overclocking or similar phenomena. Try lowering the clock a bit if you have oc'ed it.

Both systems run at their normal speed. A XP2700+ @ 2166MHz and a XP3000+ @ 2166MHz.

Strangely enough, both systems were running the client up until yesterdag just peachy....

I dunno if this is it, but check out this thread

Again that thread handles overclocking. These systems are running rocksolid at their normale FSB and multiplier...

Thankx for the help though. I'm still open for other suggestions

Check for overheating. Dust accumulation on the fans, heatsinks, etc. Even non-overclocked machines can be marginal, or have components fail. Examine your motherboards for leaking capacitors, etc.

You can try Prime95 Stress test and/or memtest86. Memtest 86 for 24 hours is still the best test for memory problems. Again, even good memory can go bad. SB code is based on Prime95, so if you can survive 24 hours of Prime95, you should have no problems with SB.
    Joe O

Does it just happen with this k and n?

The systems are running rocksolid. Memtest 3.0 has run on these systems for several.
    I've recently removed the complete client. I don't know if it gets a different n and k. I've been running SoB on and off these systems for a couple of days now without any problems.

I am at home now and unable to test anything. Monday I will try a complete reinstall (will probably cost me a lot of points) and maybe/hopefully the problem will be solved...

I'll keep you posted.

for what it's worth...I've also had this error when a hard drive was going flaky...
    other times it was heat related (the entire box overheating) and once with some flaky memory...