Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: dfGUI v3.2 for Win available (Multi-Language)

Exclamation dfGUI v3.2 for Win available (Multi-Language)

Here is another big update to dfGUI with multi-language support and a bunch of new features and bug fixes.

You can get it in the regular location:
    http://gilchrist.ca/jeff/dfGUI/

v3.2 (Oct. 18, 2003)
    - Modified client running status message from "Client appears to be running" to be "Foldtrajlite.lock found. Client might be running" since dfGUI doesn't know for sure if the client is in fact running when the .lock file is present. Always check your Task Manager to be sure.

- The tray icon for dfGUI will try to "refresh" itself every Refresh period in case the Explorer crashes and the dfGUI icon disappears.

- Added "Reset" buttons to the Energy Graph and Time Graph tabs.

- Added "Install Service" and "Remove Service" buttons to the Config tab to allow users to easily set up the DF client as a service on their machine. It supports installing up to 8 service clients.

- Can now handle new 8 service client support

- Modified service manager to use CONNECT instead of ALL_ACCESS which should not limit start/stopping the DF client as a service to just users with Admin access. (Thanks Frank M.)

- Added Total Time display to Energy and Time graphs which will display the total time (Days:HH:MM:SS) the completed generations in that set have taken so far (including gen 0). There is also the option to disable this time dispaly in the Graph Config tab.

- Added dfGUI.stop file support. If you create a file named dfGUI.stop in the dfGUI directory, the next time dfGUI does a Refresh and finds the file, it will close (and delete the .stop file). If you would also like the DF Client itself to stop when this event occurs, go to the Config tab and select the "AutoStop on Close" check box.

- Modified timing in code after click on "Upload" button to make sure dfGUI waits long enough before launching DF Client again.

- Modified Time Graph code to hopefully reduce the number of holes in the graph from missing generations. If a generation finishes in less time than your dfGUI refresh rate, then dfGUI will miss the generation data and you will have holes in your graph.

- Added support to dfGUI for multiple languages. The config tab now allows the user to select a language other than English if the supporting language files are available. The languages are not hard-coded into dfGUI so new languages can be added without having to re-compile the software, just provide new language files to the user. The initial languages available are English, Dutch, German, Italian, and Norwegian. You will notice that labels and buttons have been resized and moved around slightly to accomodate the different amount of space other languages take. A very special thanks to Gras, Federico, Nofinger, and HansArne for the hard work they did at doing all the translations for dfGUI. There was a lot of text to translate!

MD5 Sum:
    b78c07cc8bee1021cee7db6e02ff0750 dfGUIv32.zip
    978d7f1491395c889edc9ee2b3fa33b1 dfGUIv32src.zip

If you have any problems please let me know.

Jeff.

You can find screenshots here.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Wow!

Very nice!!!
    Team Anandtech DF!

OCworkbench Stats Ho
    I am not a Stats Ho, it is just more satisfying to see that my numbers are better than yours.

thank you very much!

Small Time Cruncher

Re: dfGUI v3.2 for Win available (Multi-Language)

Originally posted by Digital Parasite
    - Added Total Time display to Energy and Time graphs which will display the total time (Days:HH:MM:SS) the completed generations in that set have taken so far (including gen 0). There is also the option to disable this time dispaly in the Graph Config tab.
    Jeff - I've been meaning to ask you for this for weeks now. You are, for a lack of a better word, my hero. I have an idea what we pay you for your work, and we probably should double it!

great work

folding just wouldn't be the same without it

Ol' retired IT geezer

Thumbs up Great Work Jeff

folding just wouldn't be the same without it
    Let me join with jonnyw's theme... Your system makes DF easy and fun to use... Linux needs it also... I have a couple systems using Linux and its not nearly as convenient or fun...

Keep on FOLDING....

Ned

Re: Re: dfGUI v3.2 for Win available (Multi-Language)

Originally posted by Louis
    Jeff - I've been meaning to ask you for this for weeks now. You are, for a lack of a better word, my hero. I have an idea what we pay you for your work, and we probably should double it!
    Thanks Louis.

It should be pretty easy to double what I get paid to do dfGUI. 0*2 = 0. Heck, you could increase my pay by a million times if you want.

Actually, I guess my payment is seeing that people find it useful from the nice comments I see.

Jeff.

Re: Great Work Jeff

Originally posted by Ned
    Your system makes DF easy and fun to use... Linux needs it also... I have a couple systems using Linux and its not nearly as convenient or fun...
    dfGUI was ported to Linux by Brian Kadzban. You can download a copy of it here: http://kadzban.is-a-geek.net/dfGUI-linux/

There is also a link to in on the main dfGUI page.

Jeff.

And yeah, the latest at that site is 2.2. I'm working on "upgrading" it to 3.2.

Luckily for me, Jeff didn't change all that much that applied cross-platform. Most of the big changes were related to the Windows service, which is cool.

Looking at my TODO list, it seems that the only thing I still need to finish is the prev / next graph page buttons. So it ought to be done Real Soon Now...
    "If you fail to adjust your notion of fairness to the reality of the Universe, you will probably not be happy."

-- Originally posted by Paratima

Oh Bwkaz....It seems that I promised you something a long time ago...

sorry for this.... I hope to find enough time soon, so I will finally do that work for you
    Webmaster of the Distributed Project Research Group Italy Sitehttp://www.dprgi.it
    Author of the DfGUI Italian translation http://gilchrist.ca/jeff/dfGUI/
    Author of the climateprediction.net 's italian mirror site http://www.climateprediction.net/versions/IT/index.php
    My DF PC's (thanks pfb)

No worries. I seem to remember promising a full release of 3.1, which I never got around to either, so I can't complain too much.

The .pot file that you have is getting pretty old by now anyway, so if you don't mind, I'll attach the newest version that I have to this message. Assuming you haven't started yet, it won't be too much work if you could use this one instead. If you have started, then go ahead and keep going with the version you have (unless you want to start on this one), it's no big deal either way.

If you want the source for the program, so you can see where some of the strings are getting used (or so you can build it and look around that way), let me know and I'll post it somewhere. Let me know (privately, or here, whichever) when you have the .po file, too, so I can include it in the package.

Thanks again!
    Attached Files Attached Files
    "If you fail to adjust your notion of fairness to the reality of the Universe, you will probably not be happy."

Thumbs up

Thank you very much Jeff!!!

Bah!

I went and forgot to add a couple of tooltips to the program before I generated the previous .pot file. If you were planning on using that one, then if you don't mind, go ahead and use this one instead.

Either way, thanks!
    Attached Files Attached Files

bwkaz if this is about your *nix version of dfgui, you should start your own thread, to keep it from getting mixed in and confused with dfGUI for Windows.

I have updated dfGUI v3.2 on my web site. The code is the same except that I added a new translation to Hungarian thanks to authenticDViD over at http://www.ocworkbench.com/.

No need to download this new version unless you want the Hungarian translation since the dfGUI code has not changed.

Here are the new MD5 Sums of the .zip files for the update:
    ab87b68b796242166e207fedad84f465 dfGUIv32src.zip
    79ba1af1efa4f3a7ed974d7483648a63 dfGUIv32.zip

Jeff.

Electric fence operator
    Great utility, Jeff! It does a lot of things that I had been doing manually before I discovered this forum and utility. However, I have a question for you (or anyone who may want to help out a relative newb):

On the Progress tab, what are the Structure Laxness Levels boxes for? I don't understand what the percentages stand for, and I didn't see it in the readme (if I missed it, flame away).

Anyway, I just wanted to say thank you for a great utility, well done!

Edit: I just re-read the documentation, and that answered my initial question. I guess the next step is, how should I interpret the levels?

Jeff,

With the impending general distribution of a revised client which will now have 100 structures per generation, will their be a change in dfGUI to reflect the altered scoring calculation?

I'm assuming, from reading other threads here, that the 50 multiplier currently used will be simply replaced with 100.

Barry
    Crunching for OCAU

Anteraan : Glad you found the note in the README about it. Basically its just there as an interesting indicator. There is nothing you can do about the levels. All it really tells you is that the higher the level, the more the structures were getting "stuck" so the client had to relax some settings.

deranged128 : This will be the first time that Howard has changed the # of structures in a generation so I can only hope it will work right but we will see. Basically the only thing that will be affected is the "Points" tab of dfGUI. If you go to the "Points" tab, in the bottom right corner there is a box that says "# structures per generation " which is probably set to 050 right now. After the update, change that to 100 and it should start calculating points correctly for you. The rest of the tabs should automatically detect there are 100 structures per generation and work fine.

The one problem that will happen and I can't do anything about is that on the "Points" tab, the "Estimated Client Total Points" will be wrong because it doesn't know how to calculate 50 points/generation for the work up until now and keep that seperate from the 100 points/generation that we will be working on. So once you set it to 100, the estimate will be off since its going to use the 100 value for the estimate.

Within my team there is some misunderstanding about scoring in general and dfGUI points specifically

We all know that generations now consist of 100 structures.
    Does this mean that for Gen0 you receive 100 points? According to dfGUI you do, but I don't know if this is really the case.
    Gen1 = 100
    Gen2 = 141
    Is this correct?

Points Buffered will also change. Is this correct and what do you mean Jeff by 'Estimated Client Total Points' will show an incorrect number?!
    Proud member of the Dutch Power Cows

[DPC]Mobster : Howard said he was changing the points so it would be 100 points for gen 0, etc... but I have never tried uploading just one generation from one client to confirm it is actually doing that now.

The reason dfGUI says Estimated Client Total Points is because it uses "Sets Complete" to keep track of previous sets of generations the client has done. If something gets corrupted with your DF client and you have to delete your data files, that value will also reset to 0 which means its no longer showing a true total points for that client. It is now showing the total points since you reset the DF client itself. That value should be accurate unless you delete your data files. I'm pretty sure it also resets when you start a new protein as well.

25/25Mbit is nearly enough :p pointwood's Avatar
    I've gotten this error a few times:
    Code:
    Mon Jan 12 18:37:24 2004 FATAL ERROR: [000.000] {foldtrajlite2.c, line 1554} Upload list has been tampered with, please delete filelist.txt and try again
    The client refuses to run and each time that happened, it's caused problems for the dfGUI (version 3.2 on WinXP). Basically it starts using all CPU time and causes the machine to behave badly

I haven't seen dfGUI doing that before.

I have the client running as a service.
    Pointwood
    Jabber ID: pointwood@jabber.shd.dk
    irc.arstechnica.com, #distributed

Not a DFGui problem, really.

Filelist.txt has somehow become corrupted, and client doesn't want to start (it has error in its console), so DFGui tries repeatedly to start it - that's why you see 99% of CPU usage.

The only solution is to stop DFGui, then the client (as you're running it as a service, stop it), delete filelist.txt, then restart it again.

I know it's not a dfGUI problem, which is also why I created this thread:
    http://www.free-dc.org/forum/showthr...&threadid=5291

But, I still don't think this is the optimal way the dfGUI behaves in a situation like this. It shouldn't bog down my system because of it. As I said, I've not seen it do that before in similar cases. That's the reason for my post
    Pointwood

Hey pointwood, I will modify my filelist.txt to try and force this error to see what is going on in dfGUI.

Now that I have 3 *GUIs in production I sometimes forget which ones I have fixed certain bugs in. I found a couple of locations in one of my other GUIs where it could get into an infinite loop (which is probably the case here if it isn't reading one of the files properly because it got corrupted). I will look at the dfGUI code and try to remove those situations.

You are right, even though it isn't a dfGUI problem persay, dfGUI shouldn't lock up your machine like that. I will have it try a certain number of times and then give up so it releases your CPU.

Jeff.

Thanks a lot for the quick reply DP
    Pointwood

I had this happen this morning after a rare reboot of one of my machines (damned Windows patches!). I don't think it is caused by dfGUI trying to start the client as I don't have that option set. When I killed dfGUI I checked filelist.txt and it was completely empty if that helps the debugging. I'm not sure if I'm using version 3.1 or 3.2 but I suspect it's still v3.1, I'll take a look when I get back home this afternoon.

I deleted filelist.txt, restarted the client then dfGUI and its running as expected now
    pk

Checkout DCMonitor v2

Boinc'ing away
    Originally posted by pizzaking
    I had this happen this morning after a rare reboot of one of my machines (damned Windows patches!). I don't think it is caused by dfGUI trying to start the client as I don't have that option set. When I killed dfGUI I checked filelist.txt and it was completely empty if that helps the debugging. I'm not sure if I'm using version 3.1 or 3.2 but I suspect it's still v3.1, I'll take a look when I get back home this afternoon.

I deleted filelist.txt, restarted the client then dfGUI and its running as expected now
    This is similar to what I found with dfMon - if DF can't start due to a dodgy filelist, dfGui will hog the CPU and dfMon will raise a list out of bounds error...I haven't been able to trace why and as dfMon doesn't cause any other problems than the out of bounds I haven't spent too much time looking...

Is it possible to let 'Autostart DF client' restart the DF client if it's already running?
    I personally don't like the 'restart inactive client' option and I don't want to run the client as a service on some systems I have (people need to be able to start/stop it). So when a system reboots without closing dfGUI or the DF client it won't start because it seems to be running.
    Dutch Power Cows, The Stampede that's heading for the top.

You could use the service whilst still making it easy for a user to start and stop the client.

The service can be stopped by creating a shortcut with the target set to:
    net stop foldtrajliteservice

The service can be started by creating a shortcut with the target set to:
    net start foldtrajliteservice

That way you can get the convenience of a service while still having easy control of the client.
    pk

Checkout DCMonitor v2

Originally posted by Hagar
    Is it possible to let 'Autostart DF client' restart the DF client if it's already running?
    Why do you want to re-start the client when dfGUI loads if it is already running? Or you sometimes if the DF client crashes but leaves the .lock file around, you want it to force a re-start so it cleans things up and starts up the client if it had crashed?

Jeff.

Jeff, my fiancee has taken a liking to the windows colour scheme "High Contrast Black". There seems to be some colour confliction between this and dfGUI, because some things are hidden/not there. I've fiddled with your "Use Windows Text Colour" option which did show things that were hidden before, but did not fix the graph axes:

Obviously this is very minor, and nobody other than my fiancee uses this ghastly colour scheme

Hmmm interesting. I'm not sure if I can set colours inside the graph to be windows colours or not, but I will check into it. The graphing is all done using a third party module so I will have to see what they offer.

If they don't then there is probably not much I can do.

Jeff.

First let me say thanks--this is a great program to have.

I have a usage question: I've read in some other threads that when starting up multiple instances of DF it is important to set either the TEMP or the DFTEMP to a separate directory. That's not hard when running from the command prompt or the foldit.bat file. But if dfGUI is used to install foldtrajlite as a windows service, is there a way to specify which temp directories to use, or is it just going to use the default TEMP for whichever user is the "run as" user of the Windows service -- i.e. change the user to accomplish a different TEMP?

I asked that same question in respect to running dual services with a dual CPU PC here http://www.free-dc.org/forum/showthr...&threadid=5947 but have yet to receive even an acknowledgement from the DF people.
    Crunching for OCAU

My question re: whether dfGUI can do this still stands, but OCAU I think one way to do this (I have not tried yet) is:
    a) install both services from their different DF directories
    b) create a second user in windows
    c) sign in as the second user and go into system properties / advanced / environmental variables. In the "User variables for secondUser", add the specific TEMP TMP DFTEMP entries (might only need DFTEMP?).

d) go to services, click on the second service, right click properties, select tab "Log On", change radio button and enter secondUser. Restart service.

Hi guys,

As to your question about services, the DF client looks at the environment variable DFTEMP. Normally the DF client will run as system when set up as a service so if you set a global environment variable, then both service installs would use the same temp directory.

I think MerePeer has the only real workable solution by setting up a special user and configuring not a global environment variable but one just for the specific users that the DF client service is installed for.

Having said that, I have been running the DF client as services on my dual Athlon box for more than a year now and haven't had any problems with stuff clashing, even with this super-fast protein so I not convinced that setting up seperate temp folders is actually doing anything useful.

Jeff.

Ol' retired IT geezer

Question OK, I bite....

Elena: Since you want us to test this without running dfGUI, can you tell me if there have been any changes to the output files in the beta so I know if I have to adjust dfGUI at all?
    Sorry, Jeff, frantically testing more server functionality of this side.
    Send me a reminder to trades@blueprint.org and I will e-mail you a detailed outline of the changes.
    Jeff,

Does this mean that you need to put out a new release of dfGUI on Tuesday???
    Or will it work the way it is??

Just curious...

Ned

Re: OK, I bite....

Originally posted by Ned
    Does this mean that you need to put out a new release of dfGUI on Tuesday???
    Or will it work the way it is??
    It *should* work fine. The beta client was working fine with dfGUI so unless they made any changes since the last version they posted, it should work fine.

If there are any problems, please let me know.

Jeff.

OCworkbench Stats Ho
    I wonder if you can add a couple of little status boxes..one that shows you are Offline Folding, the other that you have a Receipt thus cannot Upload again yet

P.S. I am aware that with your workload this would not happen for 3 months minimum, but I am getting in early
    I am not a Stats Ho, it is just more satisfying to see that my numbers are better than yours.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast