Thread: A day of new releases...

A day of new releases...

First the DF client gets updated, and now dfGUI for Linux. Well, sort of -- I am officially letting 3.3-rc1 out into the wild to find some more bugs in it. I'm doing this based on what happened with 3.2.1 -- I released it, then had 3 or 4 bugs reported by a bunch of different people. Those are fixed, but new stuff has been added, so I'd like to let this one simmer for a few weeks just in case.

It's a release candidate, so please report any issues you have with it in this thread and I'll do my best to figure them out. If you get a segfault, see if you can reproduce the segfault running dfGUI under gdb (you may have to compile with debug information; just put -g into your CFLAGS variable before running configure). When gdb /path/to/dfGUI starts, do a run to start up dfGUI. When the segfault happens, do a bt in gdb to get a stack backtrace, as that's the piece of information that's most helpful when tracking down segfaults.

Anyway, you can get 3.3-rc1 from the usual place.

A full list of changes is available there (and an even more detailed list is available in the ChangeLog). Most of them are enhancements, a few are bugfixes, and a few are cleanups in the code.

There is one known bug with the structs-per-gen handling; during gen 0, it thinks you're going to get ten thousand points for each gen you have (since the number of structs in that gen is ten thousand). I am trying to figure a way around that, but I'll probably need Howard's help on it -- in the form of a new line in progress.txt during gen 0 (or some other type of "this is how many structs are in normal gens" piece of information). I am planning on asking Howard, but not until the update issues have died down.
    "If you fail to adjust your notion of fairness to the reality of the Universe, you will probably not be happy."

-- Originally posted by Paratima

And, another new release. 3.3-rc2 is now out (same URL as above).

The big (well... actually the only) difference here is a new button on the Points tab. It makes an HTTP 1.0 request to anteater.blueprint.org, trying to find out the status of your receipt (the number stored in your receipt.txt file). Note that the host that's running dfGUI must have direct Web access -- there is no proxy support yet for this. Transparent proxies should be OK, I think.

Thanks to devzero for the URL to use for this function! (http://www.free-dc.org/forum/showthr...8958#post58958)

As a side note -- please do not hammer on the status-check button. The button cannot change anything about your status other than probably slow down the verification a bit (since the DF web server(s) will have to respond to your hammering away at them, they won't have as much time to process everyone's results). The intent is to have people checking it once every 20 minutes or something like that, for example to decide when to stop an offline cruncher, do an upload, and then restart the client in offline mode (with e.g. the upload button).
    "If you fail to adjust your notion of fairness to the reality of the Universe, you will probably not be happy."

3.3-rc1 and 3.3-rc2 both have a pretty huge segfault in them if progress.txt is ever not there. Unless your client isn't running, you won't see it, but as soon as DF stops (for example, if it's buffering like mad and you shut it down... ), dfGUI will segfault.

Fixed packages are now up on the site (same page as before, get 3.3-rc3).