Thread: Any body doing this RSA project?

Any body doing this RSA project?

All Teams Statistics

Realtime Statistics

It has been a while since I last ran it, but it is being considered again as we are just about finished with OGR-24's.
    -:Beyond:-

I'd just like to point out that this is another project you're never likely to see finish. Put your cycles somewhere more useful.

Originally posted by alpha
    I'd just like to point out that this is another project you're never likely to see finish. Put your cycles somewhere more useful.
    And just how many projects that we are involved with "actually" have a projected end date?

What I critisice on these projects is not the projected date of their completion but their unusefullnes.

Ok, they learn us how we can use distributed computing efficiently (that's especially true for distributed.net's RC5-64 projects) but where is the use of cracking RC5-72 onec? Or ecc2? Or this rsaattack 576?

I don't want to spend my computing power on such projects. I rather tend to use "useful" projects - like DF, GAH, FAD, etc ... it's unknown if they reach their goal, but if they reach it it was worth the work. I can't say the same about RC5-72 for example ....

Im getting now, to answer your original question: /me not

Wirthi

But, ultimately, everyone can run whatever they want, right?

Originally posted by IronBits
    Yes, of course.

I just see no sense in wasting MY ressources for a project where already a solution is known (by RSA) and everybody just does for the money you can win ... when I waste energy (and time, etc ...) I want to waste it to improve science.

Everybody has other motivations to run a DC project. Only the stats unite us all

Originally posted by Beyond
    And just how many projects that we are involved with "actually" have a projected end date?
    A project doesn't need a projected end date for you to know the (approximate) timeframe for completion. OK, so RC5-72 and RSAttack576 (and friends) could be completed any time because AFAIK they are using brute force, but the likelihood of that happening are beyond slim (even taking technological evolution into account).

Originally posted by Ironbits
    Sure, but if someone is contributing to a project because it 'sounds cool' or Free-DC aren't ranked very highly, it's sometimes worth mentioning the facts. If you are only interested in stats, I guess it doesn't really matter. Personally, I don't see the point in donating cycles to a project that could last thousands of years.

A project doesn't need a projected end date for you to know the (approximate) timeframe for completion. OK, so RC5-72 and RSAttack576 (and friends) could be completed any time because AFAIK they are using brute force, but the likelihood of that happening are beyond slim (even taking technological evolution into account).

Sure, but if someone is contributing to a project because it 'sounds cool' or Free-DC aren't ranked very highly, it's sometimes worth mentioning the facts. If you are only interested in stats, I guess it doesn't really matter. Personally, I don't see the point in donating cycles to a project that could last thousands of years.
    Why limit the discussion to the encryption projects, could G@H, DF, F@H, Seti ...ect not last decades if not hundreds or maybe even thousands of years??? TBH, this line of discussion always leads to ruffled feathers and is best avoided, therefore I will refrain from getting excited and keep my mouth shut.

Originally posted by Beyond
    Why limit the discussion to the encryption projects, could G@H, DF, F@H, Seti ...ect not last decades if not hundreds or maybe even thousands of years??? TBH, this line of discussion always leads to ruffled feathers and is best avoided, therefore I will refrain from getting excited and keep my mouth shut.
    I knew I shouldn't have said 'could'

The difference is, with a project like RC5-72, we KNOW the probability of finding the winning key, hence how long the project will probably last.

With Seti, we DON'T know the probability of finding something interesting. However, that prevents the user from knowing whether or not their work is useful.

I'm not trying to cause an argument - I don't see why we can't discuss this and remain civil. Hmm, I wish my girlfriend could discuss things and remain civil

Also be sure to check out http://stats.dbestern.net for more RSA stats! We have 4 week histories
    Warning this Post is Rated "M" for Mature

-Contains Harsh Language
    -L337 HaX0r W3RD2!
    -Partial Nudity

I haven't lost my mind; it's backed up on tape drive somewhere.

Originally posted by magnav0x
    Also be sure to check out http://stats.dbestern.net for more RSA stats! We have 4 week histories
    Funny, I only see part of 1 day's crunching.....

It just started collecting statistics last night, so you will see it gradualy get more data
    Warning this Post is Rated "M" for Mature

-Contains Harsh Language
    -L337 HaX0r W3RD2!
    -Partial Nudity

I haven't lost my mind; it's backed up on tape drive somewhere.

Originally posted by magnav0x
    It just started collecting statistics last night, so you will see it gradualy get more data

I see... ---> Beyond <----