Gentlemen,

I did NOT see anyone complaining that indicated they were using Linux or non-windows operationg systems. This is a windows problem, NOT an application problem! True, the application may be stretching windows limits, but so be it.

I don't mind too awfully much having to install a client for each CPU in it's own folder, but that's as far as I want to go. Having to customize batch files, and make extra TEMP folders is too much.
Set it up once in a generic manner and its a piece of cake... "set TMP=..\tmp" works for me in windows....

Ultimately, the client should figure out how many CPUs are in the box , and start up enough processes to run one protein for each CPU, whether it's a 'real' CPU, or a virtual HT CPU. I realize that only XP recognizes the HT virtual CPUs for what they are, but W2K recognizes them as CPUs, just doesn't know they are HT.
Now, this is NOT the way to go if you are trying to get an application to run on multiple platforms.... Applications should NOT dig into the platform to make decisions about how to run unless the application is running the environment. Here the object of the application is to perform work.

Ask Microsoft to fix its operating system... (I know... lost cause!)

My two cents worth... Ned