Thread: Any Distributed Proofreaders out there?

Any Distributed Proofreaders out there?

We have a team, 35th place... Doesn't seem to be active....

A page a day would bring us up in the ranks. It's pretty easy and only takes a few minutes of your time...

http://www.pgdp.net

Sounds like fun. I was an editor in college and enjoyed it. When I get a few more irons out of the fire, maybe in a few more years. Seriously. Get the kids off to college, then sure.

Ive done a few pages in the past month or so, mostly i do it when im bored or dont have any other school work to do. Also if im not hanging out with the fiance'. Maybe I will do a few more pages in the next couple of days, good luck!

Thanks, guys!

A nice tip is to look for the projects with (R) arter the title. That means they were already proofread twice, so you will not have to make any changes. I just read through the text, I have never noticed anything that had to be changed...

Here is a link to the group's thread:

http://www.pgdp.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2599

has been eaten by a grue.
    So, that's what the (R) means. Was beginning to suspect that. And I did find errors to fix in some (R) texts. That, or my beginnerhood led me to uncorrect them <g>.

Been meaning to sign up and start for some time. Thanks for the push, Dreamer. I'm a librarian, this kind of thing is almost a civic duty. Then again, I'm also dysgraphic...

Dreamer and gang, did you know there is a European version, too? We don't have a team over there (yet), but I'm working there, too. They've got fewer projects, but some really nifty stuff, especially if you read languages besides English.

It is over at http://dp.rastko.net/ .

QIbHom,

Glad to have you aboard! I checked out the euro site, looks cool! If you are not on a team yet, maybe you could start a free-dc team over there....

I am finding it interesting to read things that were written about 100 years ago. Some of the stuff is interesting, some is boring as heck! But, I've managed to do over 500 pages at the P1 level, so far...

Well, if no one else is proofreading on the Euro site, too, there is no sense in me starting a team over there. I'm not really sure this qualifies as a Free-DC thing - unless the brain is a CPU, since DP uses spare brain cycles, not spare CPU cycles.

Still, it is really cool, and unless someone complains, no harm done by having a Free-DC presense on DP.

What amuses me is how many of the texts I studied in college are either on PG or in process at DP. Which is handy, because spell-check just doesn't work on Middle English and Anglo-Saxon.

If other Free-DCers are willing to proofread at the Euro site, I'll start a team. Otherwise, I'll join the Icelandic team.

Hmmmm, when I joined the US site, there was already a team there. Yeah, it is a brain thing, but we have some pretty big brains 'round here!

btw, you can join up to three teams at PGDP. Not sure about the European site, but definitely applies to the US site.

Originally posted by QIbHom
    btw, you can join up to three teams at PGDP. Not sure about the European site, but definitely applies to the US site.
    Cool, I didn't know that. For sure, I think we need the exposure with a high scoring team, we could attract new members to this site... The more computers the merrier....

I proofread a two P1 pages yesterday. I'll do one now and then to help out when I can.
    Warning this Post is Rated "M" for Mature

-Contains Harsh Language
    -L337 HaX0r W3RD2!
    -Partial Nudity

I haven't lost my mind; it's backed up on tape drive somewhere.

Originally posted by magnav0x
    I proofread a two P1 pages yesterday. I'll do one now and then to help out when I can.
    Thanks, magnav0x! Every bit helps...

I checked out our team, we went from 35 down to 37!

Thanks, magnav0x. I saw you in the team list (although I can't figure out how to find team rankings). Hope you have fun doing it.

I think I'm hooked...been doing languages I don't even know, along with Middle English and other half hour per page stuff. Great fun.

Originally posted by QIbHom
    Thanks, magnav0x. I saw you in the team list (although I can't figure out how to find team rankings). Hope you have fun doing it.

I think I'm hooked...been doing languages I don't even know, along with Middle English and other half hour per page stuff. Great fun.
    Half hour per page????

Yikes! Foreign languages sound cool though. I know a little French and Spanish, it might help.... I'll have to try an easy one one of these days.

The hard pages are satisfying. Then I go off, and do some easy pages.

If you look for some of the children's books in French or Spanish, Dreamer, you could give those a try. They are generally short pages, and fun.

The two I did were Middle English....interesting how some of the words are really close to what they are now, but most I don't have a clue as to what they are. I'll need to track some German ones down and do some of those some time, to pratice up on my German, because I never get to use it. And yes, th eMiddle English ones, do take a while. It's really hard to tell what a letter is, if you don't know what the word is
    Warning this Post is Rated "M" for Mature

-Contains Harsh Language
    -L337 HaX0r W3RD2!
    -Partial Nudity

I haven't lost my mind; it's backed up on tape drive somewhere.

I didn't get good at Middle English until after I'd studied a bit of Old English. Odd, since I had French and German in high school, and you'd expect that someone with those two languages wouldn't have too hard a time with Middle English. The key, at least for me, is to say it out loud.

As german is my mother tongue and my english being quite fluid (ok, at least it was during my 1Year estudent exchange stay in US), I can tell you that german and french did not help a bit when I was confronted with Shakespear in old-middle english in my senior english class in High-School..

So there is nothing wrong with you

Thor

Ah, but Shakespear is the start of Modern English. Chaucer is Middle English <g>. And the Middle English they've got on the main DP site makes Chaucer look like a walk in the park.

I will stop now, and not give a condensed version of my stages of English lecture....really....even if I am the librarian who recited parts of Beowulf to those poor kids who wanted the Hobbit....