Thread: FAO Elena (and all others)

FAO Elena (and all others)

Over the past year and a half this topic has been tossed about a few times. Generally though it only lasted a few posts and slipped off into never never land. Perhaps it is time for a thread of its own.

The or one of the stats servers very apparently appears to need replacing. Likely there are other boxes that could use the same action. Surely among the members we could come up with sufficient parts to enable the building of a reliable box or two.

Would it be too much to ask you to list what you currently have in use and also list what you would like to replace it with? Once we know that we can deal with the logistics of getting it into Canada without having to pay a bounty on it.

What say you lady?

EDIT: I can get things started by saying I have an unused AMD XP2100+ Retail that I would be willing to donate...

@MgKnight

respect!!

sorry, i can't help. i'm only a poor student

Statistics, yep, it is all about stats. Let's see...

It has been close to 21 hours since I posted this thread.

There have been 120 hits/looks on/at it.

There has been all of 1 reply.

There has not been any acknowledgement from Ms. Elena.

I donno, maybe they don't need any parts and maybe noone else has any spares laying around.

Or, maybe this thread belongs up in the Educational Forum with my other non-educational one......

has been eaten by a grue.
    I can drive up to Toronto fairly easily. Going through Customs doesn't faze me - I'm a native Detroiter, which means that Ohio is more foreign to me than Ontario. Since I work 4 10's, I can even drop stuff off on a work day.

Originally posted by MgKnight
    Statistics, yep, it is all about stats. Let's see...

It has been close to 21 hours since I posted this thread.

There have been 120 hits/looks on/at it.

There has been all of 1 reply.

There has not been any acknowledgement from Ms. Elena.

I donno, maybe they don't need any parts and maybe noone else has any spares laying around.

Or, maybe this thread belongs up in the Educational Forum with my other non-educational one......

I, for one, watching it seeing which way it goes.

Good Idea
    I've got quite a bit of stuff laying around I can't use.
    Last edited by Farley; 10-26-2003 at 12:37 PM.

Same here.

I might have some stuff to donate, depending on what they need. I was actually waiting for Stardragon to weigh in with an answer to your very gracious offer.
    "So utterly at variance is destiny with all the little plans of men." - H.G. Wells

We do appreciate the generous offer, but at the moment we are ok for hardware. We are looking at the problem with one of the server machines, we were just hoping not to dispose of it until we explored other options.

There has been a lot of reconfiguration with the new website, so we apologize about these repeated failures, we are addressing the situation and will probably move the cgi's to another machine.Thanks for all your support though!

*Cash and cheques made out to me are always a good alternative
    Elena Garderman

Okay, I guess you folks know best. Maybe one of my client's children will find a 2100+ system sitting under the tree in a few weeks....

How about the other hardware you don't have that people are interested in particular support with.. i.e. Intel's Itanic 64 processor that runs 32 bit code about as fast as a slug race? or AMD's 64 bit cpus (Opteron/Athlon 64)? (both of which we may need to convince Intel/AMD to donate some time from their 64 bit programmers to point out exactly how to optimize the program for the architecture..
    www.thegenomecollective.com
    Borging.. it's not just an addiction. It's...

In terms of support for compiling on hardware that we do not have yet, yes, we will humbly accept any such boxes you would like to donate to assimilate into our build farm. Charitable receipts can be issued to Canadian residents from the hospital most likely. We are OK in terms of hardware for our own servers is what we meant.

P.S. the above offer explicitly excludes any requests to build a version for the Plan9 operating system
    Howard Feldman

OCworkbench Stats Ho
    Heh, someone willing to donate an AMD64 Box..maybe we can send a petition to AMD to give you guys a nice Opteron 140 System The development time Howard and the Team would have to spend on the port would be large. Needing to produce a Linux version and a Windows 64 Version...and determine whether to run it as 32 Bit or 64 Bit as well, as sometimes with these applications 32 Bit under the 64 Bit OS is the fastest. Sure is a lot easier to eat a slice of chocolate cake and a cup of tea

I am not a Stats Ho, it is just more satisfying to see that my numbers are better than yours.