Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: dfMon v0.3Beta

Boinc'ing away

Cool dfMon v0.3Beta

dfMon v0.3BETA

Overview:

dfMon marries ideas from both dfGUI and DC Monitor - it monitors multiple clients and creates HTML output alongside the desktop app, and has detailed information regarding each client.

Desktop and web output:

(dfMon supercedes dfWebMon - any user who is using dfWebMon is advised to upgrade to dfMon).

Features:

* Multiple client monitoring - as long as the DF folder is shared and accessible, dfMon can monitor it. Access of key DF files is always done as read-only and shared so that the operation of dfMon doesn't interfere with DF.

* HTML output - in order to monitor remotely, dfMon can output the same information it shows locally to an HTML page. This can be saved/uploaded to a webserver and then accessed via a HTML browser. Client status is shown as a coloured block - red for stopped, orange for stalled and green for running. The HTML page also auto-refreshes itself (default is 10 minutes, range is 1 to 60 minutes).

* Stats save - in case the computer running dfMon restarts, or you need to close dfMon, the best Score, the generation that was found and the duration are all saved on exit (enabled by default). This allows a virtually seemless monitoring of DF.

* Manual and timed refresh - by default, dfMon will update itself every 10 minutes (available range is 1 to 60 minutes). As well as this automatic update, selecting Refresh or pressing F5 in the application will force a refresh. Also, any adding, editing or deleting of clients will refresh. dfMon also refreshes upon it starting.

* Gen 0 reset - dfMon resets the stats every time it notices Gen 0 has started - so if you have to delete filelist.txt it will recognise this and reset the stats.

* Stalled indicator - dfMon can recognise when a client has stalled (either due to the client getting stuck or processing power is diverted from DF). This is defaulted to 10 minutes (so after 10 minutes and no change in progess, a Stall situation is shown) - but can be set from 5 to 60 minutes.

* Protein size - this shows the current protein size that the client is working on (algorithm based on the one in dfGUI by Jeff Gilchrist). This is handy when protein changeovers occur.

Installation:

To install, download dfMon v0.31Beta (310Kb) and extract the files. The image files (*.gif and *.png) will need to be placed in the same directory as the HTML will go. dfMon will create 2 files (clients.txt and dfMonSettings.txt) in the directory it is run - these shouldn't be deleted.

edit: Upon running, dfMon will minimise to the system try - double-click the icon to see the app interface where you can add, edit, delete clients and view their status.

Any problems, queries, comments, suggestions, etc. let me know

Last edited by pfb; 10-25-2003 at 12:46 PM.

Wow! Sounds great.
    I extracted all the files and ran it.
    I heard a 'blip' from the speaker and saw a new ICON in the systray.
    right clicked it, chose app settings
    Can't add clients
    What's the format of the client.txt file?
    I'll add some in manually.

Boinc'ing away
    You should be able to add new clients via the app (double-click the icon to see the app interface - it automatically goes to the systray on start - the beep should have also shown a ballon hint saying no clients to monitor)...

Enter the CPU, a description and the location (either share or UNC path) then click Add Client...if that doesn't work let me know

Excellent!
    webpage output doesn't appear to be working.
    I put in the absolute path starting with drive letter
    d:\path\path\dcmonitor.htm
    It's only been 10 minutes tho
    I see it defaults to update webpage every 2 minutes.
    I changed that to 10, and it reverts back to 2

Stopped and restarted it, still no webpage output...

Boinc'ing away
    for the web output only put a path - it creates the HTML page as 'output.html' - so in your case it's trying to create 'd:\path\path\dcmonitor.htm\output.html'...is the 'Output HTML to' box ticked as well?

I've checked the web update and saw it was storing the wrong value - fixed in this version : http://wibble.bounceme.net/DD/DF/dfMon/dfMon.exe

Good thing this is a beta version
    Last edited by pfb; 10-25-2003 at 02:29 PM.

Originally posted by pfb
    Good thing this is a beta version
    Excuses excuses
    Be a nice guy and don't force the filename.html page or locations of the graphics.
    For now, I put a copy of the graphics in the same location as the output.html file.

It's purdy! If it makes it 24 hours without crashing, I say you move it to Version 1
    Attached Images Attached Images

Boinc'ing away
    Originally posted by IronBits
    Excuses excuses
    Be a nice guy and don't force the filename.html page or locations of the graphics.
    For now, I put a copy of the graphics in the same location as the output.html file.
    Glad it's running now

As for the HTML side of things - that'll probably be tightened up so it's more flexible (if that makes sense )...

I'll also be looking to add things like points and allow for customisation of what is and isn't shown - just need to get a few people to test this codebase before moving on...

hmmm...
    Use the right tool for the right job!

Got an "Index out of bounds -3" popup sometime today, but it was still working.
    About 24hrs and still ticking.... Not bad!

Boinc'ing away
    Thanks for the error info - I'll look into that one...

Been tweaking a few bits here and there - I'll probably release a 0.4 version after the changeover

hey pfp

like the look of the new client.

Had a nightmare trying to set up the clients it was supposed to be monitoring though as it kept putting the clients.txt file everywhere EXCEPT the dfMon directory for some reason. I had the clients.txt appearing in C:/ , and then in each of the distribfold directories i was monitoring too, so in the end modified the clients.txt file and its working now.

Also the client has not been outputing the output.html file, but i've seen above there is a new updated executable file so will try that tonight (which should hopefully fix this).

This was all after deleting the old dfWebMon completely, and starting the install afresh.

P.S, you may want to mention about the new updated executable on Xaprief for anyone who downloaded the original and gave up cos it didn't work.

Looking forward to a (hopefully) working version as of tonight

Boinc'ing away
    Originally posted by jonnyw
    hey pfp

like the look of the new client.

Had a nightmare trying to set up the clients it was supposed to be monitoring though as it kept putting the clients.txt file everywhere EXCEPT the dfMon directory for some reason. I had the clients.txt appearing in C:/ , and then in each of the distribfold directories i was monitoring too, so in the end modified the clients.txt file and its working now.

Also the client has not been outputing the output.html file, but i've seen above there is a new updated executable file so will try that tonight (which should hopefully fix this).

This was all after deleting the old dfWebMon completely, and starting the install afresh.

P.S, you may want to mention about the new updated executable on Xaprief for anyone who downloaded the original and gave up cos it didn't work.

Looking forward to a (hopefully) working version as of tonight
    what OS are you running dfMon on? It should store the config files where you run it from

Originally posted by pfb
    what OS are you running dfMon on? It should store the config files where you run it from
    win XP

i spent al ot of time with it so can't remeber exactly how it went but basically (i think),
    • i added all the clients saved it and closed down.
    • re opened it and the bubble came up again saying no clients found
    • found the clients.txt in C:\
    • moved it to the dfMon directory
    • opened it up again and only one client was there
    • added my other clients again, saved shut down
    • opened it up and only one client was there
    • repeated this a number of times
    • found a clients.txt in another disrtibfold directory
    • edited the clients.txt and got it working again
    • ???

I can try re-installing it again if you want to see if the problems are reproduced (but that will have to be on wednesday night as i've got tons of uni work to do 'till then)

Boinc'ing away

v0.35 is available

http://wibble.bounceme.net/DD/DF/dfMon/dfMon.exe

Changes v0.35BETA:

* made the HTML output folder + filename, rather than just folder

* changed the code behind the config file save/read - should always read from the .exe location on all OSes

* update duration to be dd:hh:mm:ss - dd part will only be shown if it is > 0

right just tried at uni with the new executable and had no problems with the clients.txt being misplaced. (although this is only monitoring 1 client)

Output.html seems to be working fine too.

Will try again (in the same way I stated above) at home tonight I think and let you know the outcome.

Boinc'ing away
    all details pertaining to dfMon are now available on http://wibble.bounceme.net/DD/DF/dfMon/

downloaded the new zip file tonight and reinstalled everything here at home and it all worked perfectly.

Must have either been me or the old executable

great site/page page for dfMon btw

btw, it may be an idea in a future version to stick a link on the output.html file that points to the dfMon page.

just an idea

Boinc'ing away
    downloaded the new zip file tonight and reinstalled everything here at home and it all worked perfectly.

Must have either been me or the old executable

great site/page page for dfMon btw

btw, it may be an idea in a future version to stick a link on the output.html file that points to the dfMon page.

just an idea
    cool - seems all the problems that were occuring have now been squashed (except the one that IronBits mentioned - not sure why/how that occurred )

I will add a link in the HTML code to the dfMon site - any other suggestions from people?
    Last edited by pfb; 10-27-2003 at 03:55 PM.

btw in my previous post, this smiley was supposed to go with this one and not next to this one and is in no reflection of your site

another suggestion (while were on the subject ) would be for the "App Settings" window to disappear when you click on the "Save Settings" button. (not that i'm criticising it or owt)

dont know what others think

if not i'm sure i'll manage to live with it

other than that great job

Just got around setting up the latest 0.4 version - all went smoothly, after the clients were added.

Editing the CPU info doesn't seem to stick, as no changes are made or saved.

Just one thing to point out,

when adding the path to clients on different machines in network, instead of listing just the local host's drives, it might be possible to add simple explorer interface that lists network ones, too (similar to DC Monitor).

I'm sure there will be plenty of other improvements in a due time - even as it is now, DFMon is a very useful monitoring proggy.

Thanks for all the work, pfb!

Boinc'ing away
    for editing the CPU info - did you double click the CPU text and the boxes at the bottom get populated or did it do an 'Explorer'-style rename? If the latter, it won't stick - you will need to double click the CPU text and edit it in the bottom...

I do need to change some of the components used (like you mentioned about the adding clients' location bit)...hopefully I can do that soon

---

As mentioned, v0.4Beta is out - changes are:

v0.4BETA:
    * changed labels 'score' to 'energy' to reflect new algorithm
    * amended best energy to monitor gens 1+ - gen 0 is ignored
    and also incoporate v0.36Beta changes (which wasn't publicly announced):

v0.36BETA:
    * clicking 'Save settings' now closes the App Settings dialogue box
    * link to dfMon site on HTML output (link is the df Monitor text) - opens in a new window
    * paused duration calculations for 'Stopped' clients

Well, actually, yes, it was "explorer" type of editing - just because it was available, I tried to kinda test it

If editing at the bottom, all is OK!

Otherwise, all else is OK - output produced properly, as in my sig...

One thing you might want to add once you get a chance is to have it so that you don't have to check out mapped drives or anything. Most of my crunchers directories are not mapped because I've used most of the letters for everything else and I know where they all are off of memory.

ie. \\voyager\Genome_Home\Distribfold\ or \\voyager\nfs\exports\genome\Kirk\distribfold or
    \\voyager\nfs\exports\genome\Picard\distribfold and so on ...

I've currently gotten around that by editing the txt file that is created with the proper driver mapping for each machine.

Boinc'ing away
    That is something I will be changing (along with a few other interface components) - I'm just waiting to see how the new scoring routine in DF fits...once I am happy dfMon works as it should I'll be revising the interface

Thanks for the feedback

/edit - got bored so made the changes for the client location and HTML save dialogues (and a couple of other changes whilst I was at it)...

v0.4.1.0:
    * updated Client Location and HTML output dialogues to standard Windows format - ability to browse across network in a similar fashion to Explorer
    * tooltip for System tray icon now shows number of clients monitoring
    * displaying of version is now based on internal .EXE version rather than hard-coded
    should be it for a while
    Last edited by pfb; 10-28-2003 at 06:31 PM.

Great! That browsing across the network is just what I needed. Running your software now. Thanks!

Not sure if this is a local problem or not, but when I downkloaded the new version this morn it doesn't let me bring a client down to edit it anymore like it used to.

Also in the settings I tried to setup the output file to go to v:\DFMonitor (Which is where the webserver files are kept) but it wouldn't take it. It kept setting it back to the local directory. When I edited the text file manually to do so (After I shut down the program first of course) and then restarted the program it got setback to the local directory the program was running from, to get around this I put everything onto the webserver directory and ran it from there and manually edited the file again and it worked. (I don't like running files constantly that are on the webserver though of course for security reasons). Maybe this last part was just a fluke or something, but thought I'd let you know.

Great work on it and I like the changes (Especially the explorer view now so I can browse the network instead of local machine only)

Boinc'ing away
    Originally posted by ^7_of_9
    Not sure if this is a local problem or not, but when I downkloaded the new version this morn it doesn't let me bring a client down to edit it anymore like it used to.

Also in the settings I tried to setup the output file to go to v:\DFMonitor (Which is where the webserver files are kept) but it wouldn't take it. It kept setting it back to the local directory. When I edited the text file manually to do so (After I shut down the program first of course) and then restarted the program it got setback to the local directory the program was running from, to get around this I put everything onto the webserver directory and ran it from there and manually edited the file again and it worked. (I don't like running files constantly that are on the webserver though of course for security reasons). Maybe this last part was just a fluke or something, but thought I'd let you know.

Great work on it and I like the changes (Especially the explorer view now so I can browse the network instead of local machine only)
    The editing hasn't changed - double-clicking the CPU text will put the info in the edit boxes and then you can edit there...I know that if you do an 'Explorer' style rename (F2 or single-click) it will let you but the code isn't there to store the change.

As to the second bit, did you include a filename? The only time it should default to using [EXE location]\output.html if it can't open dfMonSettings.txt in the [EXE location]...I'll have a look and see if anything screwy is going on...

It's possible that the error is on my end as I downloaded it JUST before I was leaving for work (actually I should have left BEFORE I did it lol) so I might have not actually double clicked because I was in such a hurry. Maybe the same thing with the output file. I really shouldn't do this stuff when I'm in such a hurry ... I'll look at it when I've got more "playing" time tonight.

Boinc'ing away
    v0.4.1.1 is out - there is a slight change to the duration code (and to the clients.txt)...it should now reset when Gen 0 starts.

if updating, either delete clients.txt or edit it to put a 1| after the location - so \\test\df|50.000 would become \\test\df|1|50.000
    Last edited by pfb; 10-31-2003 at 06:15 AM.

of OCW's "Triple Nickle" Gortok's Avatar

Thumbs up

Very nice!

After reading the above posts, I decided to give it a try with my 5 machines...
    Setup was very easy. Works very well.
    Saves a lot of time.

Thanks guy!!

Boinc'ing away
    as all the nasty little bugs seem to have been squashed (v0.4.1.2), I am now looking for feedback for new features...got some already but would like to see if there are any more:

[list=1][*]show points for each client[*]ability to customise the information shown[*]ability to customise the HTML output[*]detailed info (total time spent on protein, sets completed, total points for protein) - local app only[*]conversion to Kylix for Linux-only users (long term aim)[/list=1]

Originally posted by pfb
    as all the nasty little bugs seem to have been squashed (v0.4.1.2), I am now looking for feedback for new features...got some already but would like to see if there are any more:

[list=1][*]show points for each client[*]ability to customise the information shown[*]ability to customise the HTML output[*]detailed info (total time spent on protein, sets completed, total points for protein) - local app only[*]conversion to Kylix for Linux-only users (long term aim)[/list=1]

as much information/stats as possible please , as you stated above points stats (e.g total per client, total per client per protein, total buffered ) and time stats will be cool (e.g total per client, total per client per protein, total for client for this set of 250 generations).

Ability to customise output/html will be cool.

The ability to add our own html to the output.html file would be nice, so we could add bookmarks etc, and use the dfMon page as our default home page

...thats about it for now

Nice work so far bud (y)

Boinc'ing away
    It seems that dfMon only records the best value after gen1 has started.

See pic below for screenshot of the best value dfMon gives me compared to dfGUI's (cos my best value so far was in gen 0)

???

not that important really, just thought i'd let u know

[or is that just what you said above?]
    (I'm replying here as it is dfMon related, not related to the RMS query)...

before v0.4.0.0BETA (when we did RMS) I wasn't too bothered about gen 0 - the value was almost always beaten by gen 1's value but I did use it as a shortcut...when DF changed to the different energy method that shortcut was lost and the difference between the gen 0 and gen 1+ calculation was more apparant so dfMon only monitors gen 1+ for best 'energy' as gen 0 is a different calculation...I thought dfGui ignores Gen 0 as well but maybe Jeff was using the similar shortcut as I was

Afaik the value in gen 0 isn't used as a 'best' value by DF - it's just used to kick-start the gen 1+ process which does give a 'best' value...

well, as I said erlier its not really much of a problem anyway.

Just though of another feature for the next version, and that would be total generations completed (either in total generations, total 2 sets of 250 gens" or even better both).

As i said above the more the better really (cos it shouldn't matter about the screen space it takes up if it is configurable as to what is actually output)

Just found out that DFMon doesn't want to save settings for html resident folder. Until I manually edited settings.txt with the new network folder, nothing was happening, even though finding the new folder was easy with new explorer-style interface. Save button just did nothing, it was reverting to the last saved setting. Using the latest beta...

Bit about boxens taken off-line. DFMon becomes less responsive if one or more boxens are down. I know it still looks for them, but probably doesn't take into account the error returned that means non-existant. Maybe it is possible in this case to look less frequently...

Three more additions to what has already been said:

1) Buttons for the "settings" and "refresh" would be nice, so that it is known when they are pressed
    2) Adding "about" box, or just place with the URL where we can find the latest info on DFMon
    3) Time stamp on last refresh

Nice work, pfb - really happy to use your proggy!

cant stop buying hardware... rofn's Avatar
    when i try to add my linux client over smb to dfmon i get always the error:
    "37.627 is not a valid floating point value"

edit: on the list the client appears always as stopped then...

whats wrong?
    rofn

Boinc'ing away
    iggy - I'll look into those 2 issues...

rofn - not sure why that is, what settings have you got set?

cant stop buying hardware... rofn's Avatar
    the linux client is running with
    ./foldtrajlite -f protein -n native -qt -it -rt

progress.txt looks like this:

rofn@core:/home/public/distribfold$ cat progress.txt
    Building structure 1216 generation 0
    8784 until next generation
    1 generations buffered
    Best Energy so far: 37.627

smb rights & linux file rights are ok

Boinc'ing away
    what about the dfMon settings...?