Thread: Mysterious New Badge

Mysterious New Badge

I have just spotted a new badge on my badge display. I am a badge fan and look forward to getting a new one but I have no idea what I have done to deserve this new one.
    It's a goldish disk with a bit of either DNA or an upside down insect in it! Huge apologies to the artist if it is neither of these .
    Any ideas?

Wake Forest, North Carolina, United States
    Blog Entries
    DNA@Home

LOL Thanks Bok, I should have guessed It makes more sense than UpsideDownInsect@home- I didn't know they had started giving badges
    BTW Have you given up on the PMiRB and CMiRB suggestion?

And while I am in here I'll also bite to the new sub100k and sub10k Mega-milestones. I think I am risking becoming the guy who sticks his head over the parapet and asks the questions that others don't want to ask because they know they will look stupid - actually I hope I am because the alternative is that I am the eedjit that can't see the obvious - but what are these MMs? Clearly they aren't the number of projects with under 100k/10k nor are they the number with over that number! They don't seem to be the number of times you have earned over 100K in a day! What really obvious thing am I missing here?
    I am tempted to suggest that the name has been chosen to be as mysterious as Clanks, Boks and Maxwells, but even more so, because this time there appears to be a clue in the name, but it's a red herring! Or is there a Boincer out there with the name sub100k? Damn I should have checked that first before looking stupid ;-) Where's the Cancel button? Ooops!

Blog Entries
    I haven't forgotten about the PMirB and CMirb's, they just hurt my head when thinking about them

sub100k's are MM's for subprojects... now that DNA@Home, WildLife@Home and SubsetSum@Home are migrated into a single umbrella project (Citizen Science Grid) as subprojects with data I had a conundrum as to what to do with the old data as in effect it's counted twice with the CSG export. So obvious answer is to deprecate the older projects, which is still the plan. But it affects MM's too, so as a small compromise I'm adding MM's for subprojects spanning any project which has them.. PrimeGrid, Yoyo,NFS, Bitcoin, CSG, Oproject.

Not ideal but hopefully it satisfies most (who am I kidding, I'm still getting backlash!)

One side effect though is the MM panel is getting out of hand, so I'm working on displaying only the major ones and linking to a newpage with them all. Once complete I'll finish off the rest of the subproject MM's.

I'm thinking I also need a page which just shows a users subprojects with credits so they can figure out which ones to run..

Thanks for that Bok, that makes total sense, and I don't see any other options to handle it - though I am sure you will get some more suggestions!!

I suspect that for the vast majority if people the MM panel isn't an issue, it's just people like you with billions that may have an issue with it. How about trying out a split of the MM panel into 2 sections, one for just the straight numbers, and a new one with all the other odd ones, the new panel could sit above the Recent Milestones panel which could perhaps have its default value set to "Show 5" as I suspect it is of less interest to most people than the MM panel(s). Perhaps you could allow people to set the default value in thier profile somewhere. Just a thought.

Davis, California // Beni Mekkoud, Morocco
    I like all those ideas!
    With all these new milestones and sub-project badges it is becoming a challenge trying to keep my projects in the "zone" (that is Trigggls, Boks, Teraboks, Gibsons, Bozos,...).

Bok, are you able to get the subproject data for WCG or are they stuck in their own little world?

Are there really such things as Gibsons and Bozos? Would these by any chance be variations on Boks/TeraBoks? If they do exist should they not be listed in the MM Stats section down the left hand side. Come to that I just noticed that the Top1000's are missing from there as well. I am guessing one of these would be for 10M to 10.1M which is a shame, I would have gone for one on Moo if I had known.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Werinbert View Post
    I like all those ideas!
    With all these new milestones and sub-project badges it is becoming a challenge trying to keep my projects in the "zone" (that is Trigggls, Boks, Teraboks, Gibsons, Bozos,...).

Bok, are you able to get the subproject data for WCG or are they stuck in their own little world?
    No, they don't export that data at all unfortunately. I've petitioned for it over the years..

I created one new page today with just the subproject data across projects. It's linked from the cpid page, for example here is mine.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkRBright View Post
    Are there really such things as Gibsons and Bozos? Would these by any chance be variations on Boks/TeraBoks? If they do exist should they not be listed in the MM Stats section down the left hand side. Come to that I just noticed that the Top1000's are missing from there as well. I am guessing one of these would be for 10M to 10.1M which is a shame, I would have gone for one on Moo if I had known.
    Yes they exist, ah the left side is not quite automatic, so I need to revisit those.

That is cool! I like the badges display. Good stuff as ever Bok.

As suggested before, I concur that the MM section should stay as is and the recent milestones section should be reduced to only 5 or 10.

CO2 Emissions Algae Scientist Nflight's Avatar
    Fredericksburg, Pennsylvania, United States
    I am going to stick my head out and ask Bok for an explanation on the Sub10k. Just where do you get the figure you are suggesting, and why wouldn't the actual amount of sub10'ks be better in smaller amounts then larger amounts. Confusing until someone explains it to me!! I can not find the complete explanation anywhere in the public veiw. So it may exist in the Team view only! To which I am not a team member

If you click on the new SubProject Credits link on your main Free-DC page near the top it should all hopefully become clear.
    It's simply the number of subprojects in which you have crunched more than 10k. I was confused by the use of 'sub' too at first until I saw the new page.
    There are quite a few Mega Milestones that are unexplained and you only tend to find out about them when you hit them! And even then it's not always obvious why you got them!
    Bok has done all the work on this recently in part to compensate for issues with some projects becoming subprojects of the new Citizen Science Grid.
    Hope that helps

Blog Entries
    And just to be clear... There is NO team only forum at Free-DC.

Everyone sees everything.

Bok,

Love the sub-projects idea, shame about WCG. I guess scraping is too much of a crap shoot?

Anyway, WCG aside, please can we have a MM that counts TOTAL sub projects crunched?

Thanks!

S.

ps, thanks for deprecating the CSG subs.

Blog Entries
    scraping isn't even possible for WCG, at least not without each individuals code for logging in. Complete PITA.

I intend to do all the other MM's for subprojects, once I figure out where to display them.

I'm leaning toward taking out the subproject MM's from the main CPId page and just displaying them on the new subproject page instead, plus with a new page of ALL mm's.

Bok Bok,

So, how can I send you my WCG verification code so you can add my WCG sub-projects to MM's?

TIA and NI!

ETA: based on this conversation

Dp :-(
    Last edited by branjo; 10-23-2014 at 04:20 AM.

Blog Entries
    hmm, I didn't think about those that couldn't use PM here. Forgot that restriction was in place.

You can email me using the contact link at the bottom of this page (bok (at) free-dc.org )

Thanks Bok, e-mail sent.

Cheers

Blog Entries
    hmm, not getting it. Try my regular email - freedc.bok (at) gmail(dot)com

Just received the message saying "email account you tried to reach does not exist" (bok at ...). Fwd'ed it to freedc (dot) bok at...

ETA: Thanks Bok
    Last edited by branjo; 10-23-2014 at 01:20 PM.

Hi Bok

Just spotted the sub1k (and presumably there will be a sub1m and higher too now) and noticed that it probably isn't adding into MiRBs/TeraMiRBs (possibly Maxwells too but I will never know :-()
    I have 27 MM's, 23 of which are ranked under the 1000, and yet have 20 MiRBs. I realise you can't get a MiRB for MiRBs, and possibly you can't get one (though I don't see why not) for TeraMiRBs) so that leaves the distinct possibility that one or more of sub1k isn't getting in on the MiRBs total. (and possibly the TeraMirb total too where relevant)

BTW I still think that splitting the MM's into two boxes - one for strict numeric's, and the other for weird named ones, and defaulting the Recent Milestones to 5 (or even 1) would be better than separating out the sub-projects completely, especially as you would then have to explain why you did or didn't get Maxwell's / MiRBs for them.
    Cheers

OK I see what you have now done and it all makes sense. I don't see why a genuine sub-project would/should qualify for a Maxwell etc
    I like the split into the two panels on the main page too, though I think I would feel inclined to put the Top Ranks and Projects in to the bottom one.
    Good work as ever. Thanks as usual.

Blog Entries
    yeah, I tend to agree with top ranks. Not sure about projects, though I can see reason for/against. After all it's just score > 0

MM badge itself

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRBright View Post
    There are quite a few Mega Milestones that are unexplained and you only tend to find out about them when you hit them! And even then it's not always obvious why you got them!
    I had no idea what the MM badge itself was, that it comes from Free-DC instead of a project, that it means MegaMilestone, why it showed up nor why it's bronze instead of silver or blue. The FAQ isn't helpful and a forum search returns:
    The following errors occurred with your search
    The following words are either very common, too long, or too short and were not included in your search:
    MM
    So now after an 90 minutes of searching around at least I know it's MegaMilestone and it's from FreeDC but still not sure what triggered it and how to get the next color badge.

Last edited by Marmot; 04-21-2015 at 10:37 AM. Reason: add badge

Blog Entries
    It's a count of how many megaMilestones you have accrued. There are lots of different ones to try to achieve...

between :
    5,10 - bronze
    10,15 - silver
    15,20 - gold
    20,25 - emerald
    25,30 - ruby
    35,40 - sapphire

Quote Originally Posted by Bok View Post
    It's a count of how many megaMilestones you have accrued. There are lots of different ones to try to achieve...

between :
    5,10 - bronze
    10,15 - silver
    15,20 - gold
    20,25 - emerald
    25,30 - ruby
    35,40 - sapphire
    Thanks. Is that in the FAQ or some place on the stats page?

Blog Entries
    It's not. I always kept the MM stuff purposefully mysterious

But I'll see what I can do on return from my trip tomorrow.

This seems like the right thread for me to fall in to the same trap again. So yesterday I notice another mysterious new badge which seems to have come from nowhere. I assume that some project has decided to give badges, but a bronze 'name block' with IBL in it means nothing to me. No projects or sub-projects that I have participated in appears to have those initials - unless of course it's not English, in which case I could guess all day long! So what obvious thing am I missing this time?

Blog Entries
    http://atlasathome.cern.ch/forum_thread.php?id=310

I only implemented the credit ones.

What about the atlas badges for years of contribution (similar to the one in Milkyway) and for perseverance? It would be very nice, if you could include these two as well.

Blog Entries
    yes, I will add them, just needs a little extra coding..

Lightbulb

OK so the Sub Project Mega Milestones are kind of nice but don't appear to contribute to anything else (like Maxwells or MiRBs), fair enough, but how about throwing those who bother to take note of the Sub-Project MegaMilestones a bone and give a separate badge for them. Perhaps you could just stick a big S in the background of the current MM and otherwise keep it the same, colours and all.
    Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Bok View Post

between :
    5,10 - bronze
    10,15 - silver
    15,20 - gold
    20,25 - emerald
    25,30 - ruby
    35,40 - sapphire
    Hi Bok
    So I just hit a total of 25 MMs and was surprised to find I didn't qualify for the Ruby MM badge, thinking I was sure that I had read somewhere that I would. So I dug around a bit and found this, and I am curious. I didn't spot it before but the break points of these different badges as definied above are a bit confusing, is 25 Emerald, or is it Ruby? My gut feeling is that getting to 5,10,15,20,25,30 and 35 is a more noteworthy and worth a change of badge than getting to 6,11,16,21,26,31 and 36. So no, I am not campaigning to get the ruby badge, but I think it is worth checking out the coding to make sure it is the way you want it and publishing a correction to the badge values once you decide which way to go.
    Cheers
    Mark