Thread: Mysterious New Badge

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Mysterious New Badge

I have just spotted a new badge on my badge display. I am a badge fan and look forward to getting a new one but I have no idea what I have done to deserve this new one.
    It's a goldish disk with a bit of either DNA or an upside down insect in it! Huge apologies to the artist if it is neither of these .
    Any ideas?

Wake Forest, North Carolina, United States
    Blog Entries
    DNA@Home

LOL Thanks Bok, I should have guessed It makes more sense than UpsideDownInsect@home- I didn't know they had started giving badges
    BTW Have you given up on the PMiRB and CMiRB suggestion?

And while I am in here I'll also bite to the new sub100k and sub10k Mega-milestones. I think I am risking becoming the guy who sticks his head over the parapet and asks the questions that others don't want to ask because they know they will look stupid - actually I hope I am because the alternative is that I am the eedjit that can't see the obvious - but what are these MMs? Clearly they aren't the number of projects with under 100k/10k nor are they the number with over that number! They don't seem to be the number of times you have earned over 100K in a day! What really obvious thing am I missing here?
    I am tempted to suggest that the name has been chosen to be as mysterious as Clanks, Boks and Maxwells, but even more so, because this time there appears to be a clue in the name, but it's a red herring! Or is there a Boincer out there with the name sub100k? Damn I should have checked that first before looking stupid ;-) Where's the Cancel button? Ooops!

Wake Forest, North Carolina, United States
    Blog Entries
    I haven't forgotten about the PMirB and CMirb's, they just hurt my head when thinking about them

sub100k's are MM's for subprojects... now that DNA@Home, WildLife@Home and SubsetSum@Home are migrated into a single umbrella project (Citizen Science Grid) as subprojects with data I had a conundrum as to what to do with the old data as in effect it's counted twice with the CSG export. So obvious answer is to deprecate the older projects, which is still the plan. But it affects MM's too, so as a small compromise I'm adding MM's for subprojects spanning any project which has them.. PrimeGrid, Yoyo,NFS, Bitcoin, CSG, Oproject.

Not ideal but hopefully it satisfies most (who am I kidding, I'm still getting backlash!)

One side effect though is the MM panel is getting out of hand, so I'm working on displaying only the major ones and linking to a newpage with them all. Once complete I'll finish off the rest of the subproject MM's.

I'm thinking I also need a page which just shows a users subprojects with credits so they can figure out which ones to run..

Thanks for that Bok, that makes total sense, and I don't see any other options to handle it - though I am sure you will get some more suggestions!!

I suspect that for the vast majority if people the MM panel isn't an issue, it's just people like you with billions that may have an issue with it. How about trying out a split of the MM panel into 2 sections, one for just the straight numbers, and a new one with all the other odd ones, the new panel could sit above the Recent Milestones panel which could perhaps have its default value set to "Show 5" as I suspect it is of less interest to most people than the MM panel(s). Perhaps you could allow people to set the default value in thier profile somewhere. Just a thought.