Thread: New client 1.1.1 Crashes on Pentium-M.

New client 1.1.1 Crashes on Pentium-M.

Both the old client 1.1.0 and the new client 1.1.1 are crashing immediately after downloading a block. System specs are as follows:

Pentium-M 1.5GHz
    512MB RAM
    Windows XP Pro

I have the exact same setup.

P-M 1.5
    512MB
    XP PRO

Crashes after retrieving a block.

Another Team Anandtech member has also reported the same results. Is there anyone who may know of the cause of this and why the fix for the P4 doesn't work with the PM?

Folks,

I just observed the same crash on the Pentium-m with the 1.11 client, and I would guess that SSE2 may not be disabled for that processor. It has been disabled for the Opteron.

Update: I have run some test files provided by Louie with various features enabled and disabled and returned the results and he is working on a solution for the Pentium-m bug.

Fritz
    Last edited by Fritz; 11-07-2003 at 09:13 AM.

Pentium M ???

The previous clients worked okay but as the numbers grew they "hung" more and more often. The new version has run troublefree for DAYS now, so ....

.... I have a P 4 2.86 MHz and can you please tell me what the SMEG a Pentium M is

Re: Pentium M ???

Originally posted by beardyphish
    The previous clients worked okay but as the numbers grew they "hung" more and more often. The new version has run troublefree for DAYS now, so ....

.... I have a P 4 2.86 MHz and can you please tell me what the SMEG a Pentium M is
    Pentium-M is the newest moble chip from Intel. Laptops branded as Intel Centrino use the Pentium-M processor. Centrino refers to laptops that use the Pentium-M, chip, a specific Intel chipset, and Intel's own 802.11b wireless mini-pci card, unless a laptop has all three of those it is not a Centrino latops but there are nonCentrino laptops that use the Pentium-M processor. Don't confuse the Pentium-M with the Pentium 4-M they are completely different processors.

any fix 4 this?

any fix 4 this?
    Have you tried Windows version 1.0.0 ?

This will probably work just fine. But if you do go back to 1.0.0, if you want it to have a chance of continuing to working go to 'config' and uncheck 'transmit intermediate blocks'. The network recovery stuff was rubbish in this version, so the less you talk to the server the better. Of course if you can't complete a test in 10 days then you will have a problem - but even then as the 10 day limit approached you could turn the intermediate block sending back on and 'nurse it' for one report to the server.

Right now I am running 1.0.0 on a P4-1.7 (no mobile) with intermediate reporting turned off, and it works just fine. I guess the only issue are the stats - they only update when the test is complete.